PDA

View Full Version : first wigglers

Joander123
07-22-2012, 12:21 PM
So I've got 6 adult discus in a 120 gallon planted community tank... fish have laid eggs off and on a few times, but this time they were fertilized and hatch a ton of wigglers!

I've never bred discus, but am excited to potentially try...

the wigglers are on a piece of drift wood right now... normally i would move mom and dad into another tank but am not sure what to do now as the wigglers are attached to a piece of drift wood that can't really come out of the tank..

how do i proceed? Is there any way i can save/grow out this bunch or do i need to wait until they lay and hatch again in their own tank?

Any help is appreciated!

james1234
07-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Is there anyway you can divide the tank up and leave the pair and fry on one side?

Bill63SG
07-22-2012, 12:59 PM
You can try and divide the tank,but you'll find you just have more control if they're in thier own tank.There are enugh problems to deal with without throwing in the "community tank" thing.

Keith Perkins
07-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Dividing a tank is generally a pain, but it can be done if you're determined to do so. Getting them their own tank is definitely the way to go for the long run if you're interested in trying to raise fry.

Longhorn2750
07-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Gently suck out the wigglers with a small syphon or a turkey baster and put them in their own tank. After all the wigglers are out net mom and dad and put them in with the wigglers. Make sure they have a vertical structer the nurse the brewed until the fry attach to the parents.
Start to hatch brine shrimp to feed the fry; there are some good threads about brine shrimp hatching on here if you do not know how to hatch them.