PDA

View Full Version : Discus Tank After One Year

birdyman23
07-22-2012, 11:14 PM
http://youtu.be/W2Xyo1DcZmU

Tank is a 55 gallon with a thin layer of sand, manzanita wood, java fern, anubias. 1 mandarin passion, and 4 cobalts all fish are a little over a year old. The cobalts really have not colored up like I anticipated but hopefully they will show more color in the next year. Size ranges from the 4.5 to 5.5 inches hopefully I get one to 7 when it is all said and done. Enjoy the short video all comments welcome.

Bill63SG
07-22-2012, 11:26 PM
The tank and fish look nice.But I'll tell ya,I'm no expert,but those are'nt cobalts.Those are crosses of some kind,maybe a turk and cobalt.By one year,you would have had more or less solid blue with stress lines thru the eye,body and tail.And for a turk,the blue striations would be across the whole body.Fish look nice,not what you were told you bought.

shoveltrash
07-23-2012, 05:25 AM
that's a lovely tank! & your fish look good....
curious to know who sold you 'faux cobalts'?

Bud Smith
07-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Very nice well organized tank. What size were your discus when you put them in the tank? looking good

birdyman23
07-23-2012, 08:03 AM
The tank and fish look nice.But I'll tell ya,I'm no expert,but those are'nt cobalts.Those are crosses of some kind,maybe a turk and cobalt.By one year,you would have had more or less solid blue with stress lines thru the eye,body and tail.And for a turk,the blue striations would be across the whole body.Fish look nice,not what you were told you bought.

I have kind of suspected that they may have not beeen pure cobalts as time has went on. They were about 2 inches when I got them as a group. I purchased them at Houston Aquarium Warehouse. (Gulf Coast on this forum.)

John_Nicholson
07-23-2012, 09:30 AM
You have done a good job, but you did not exactly get what you paid for. The color will probably not change anymore. I don't know how often you get up towards Dallas but the FOTAS show should have a pretty good discus class. We will probably also have an informal meeting of the Lone Star Discus Club.

-john

strawberryblonde
07-23-2012, 02:14 PM
It looks like you've got one cobalt in there, hard to tell because the one time he inched towards the camera he was in a dark area of the tank. The others look like turq/cobalt crosses who ended up being turqs.

If you've had them for a year they probably won't change in color or lose any of their striations. They might grow a little bit more though. My turqs are very slow growers and have continued growing for the last 15 months.