PDA

View Full Version : Here they are...

MaiaDee
07-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Our first discus have arrived...

Comments?

hedut
07-24-2012, 11:05 PM
how do you wanna use to comment from six discus with tinny picture and all discus at the corner of the tank ?????

DiscusDrew
07-24-2012, 11:07 PM
I know you actually prepared for this so that's great but yeah that pictures awful haha

MaiaDee
07-24-2012, 11:13 PM
I had to make it tiny to upload it! Tough crowd...I'll try again!

JenTN
07-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Try uploading it to photobucket then put the link in here ;)

hedut
07-24-2012, 11:15 PM
let the fish do pose and you snap :) sometimes need more than one snap shot :)

Orange Crush
Yup, looks like discus! ;)

Second Hand Pat
Create a account on photobucket, upload your pictures and once the picture is uploaded use the link with the IMG tag to post directly here on the forum.

Oops, repeat post, sorry Jen.

MaiaDee
07-24-2012, 11:33 PM
I use Picasa, but try this link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/MaiaDeePhotography/Discus

Orange Crush
07-24-2012, 11:36 PM
I use Picasa, but try this link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/MaiaDeePhotography/Discus
That works!
How old are they and where did you buy them from?

MaiaDee
07-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Yay!

Um, how old...2-2.5 inches.
Bought them from the Fish Den. I ordered them before I found Simply Discus. Did try to order from Kenny (heard about him on Aquarium Central forum), but he didn't have what we were looking for. We should have waited. I think these are pretty fish, but I will not order from Fish Den again.

DiscusDrew
07-24-2012, 11:44 PM
We all learned that lesson once so don't worry, these are your first discus, treat them as such, a huge opportunity to grow and learn a lot. Trust me you will learn plenty... Then when your ready and know the ropes a little you can make your next order :).

Orange Crush
07-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Yay!

Um, how old...2-2.5 inches.
Bought them from the Fish Den. I ordered them before I found Simply Discus. Did try to order from Kenny (heard about him on Aquarium Central forum), but he didn't have what we were looking for. We should have waited. I think these are pretty fish, but I will not order from Fish Den again.
Size does not always = age, only how well they were cared for. Do you know how old they are?

MaiaDee
07-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Size does not always = age, only how well they were cared for. Do you know how old they are?

I don't know their actual age. Is knowing their age how you would tell if they are stunted or not right in some way?

The cobalts look stunted to me; big eyes. Did anyone else notice that in the pics?

Orange Crush
07-24-2012, 11:51 PM
I don't know their actual age. So, the cobalts look stunted to me; big eyes. Did anyone else notice that in the pics?
That is why I was asking how old they are because when they are young it can be hard to tell sometimes. However, I am not the best at judging this but there are others here who are.

Orange Crush
07-24-2012, 11:52 PM
You can help them grow as much as possible by doing large daily water changes and feeding them a high quality, varied diet.

MaiaDee
07-24-2012, 11:57 PM
You can help them grow as much as possible by doing large daily water changes and feeding them a high quality, varied diet.

Oh yeah. Those poor fish are gonna get sick of me! I offered them some FDBW and a couple of them ate a tiny bit, but they seemed freaked, so I turned off the light and will leave them be until the morning. Hopefully they'll be feeling more comfortable and perhaps a bit hungry then.

Strawberry Blonde (Toni) posted a feeding schedule I plan to use, but it calls for flake for breakfast. Since it's their first "meal" in their new home, should I try to give them something more enticing instead?

Orange Crush
07-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Oh yeah. Those poor fish are gonna get sick of me! I offered them some FDBW and a couple of them ate a tiny bit, but they seemed freaked, so I turned off the light and will leave them be until the morning. Hopefully they'll be feeling more comfortable and perhaps a bit hungry then.

Strawberry Blonde (Toni) posted a feeding schedule I plan to use, but it calls for flake for breakfast. Since it's their first "meal" in their new home, should I try to give them something more enticing instead?
Do you know what they were being fed before?

MaiaDee
07-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Do you know what they were being fed before?

This is what the breeder said in an email :"I feed them live brine shrimp. Black worms. Frozen blood worms and beefheart( they dont go crazy over the beef hearts) and tetra color bit."

Orange Crush
07-25-2012, 12:04 AM
This is what the breeder said in an email :"I feed them live brine shrimp. Black worms. Frozen blood worms and beefheart( they dont go crazy over the beef hearts) and tetra color bit."
try the tetra color bits or freeze dried black worms. I'm sure Toni said to not feed bloodworms.

MaiaDee
07-25-2012, 12:09 AM
I'm sure Toni said to not feed bloodworms.

She sure did! LOL!

This might be a stupid question, but the pic on the package of FDBWs Al sent me shows putting them in a worm cup. Is that better than sticking the cube to the glass or letting it free float?

Orange Crush
07-25-2012, 12:12 AM
She sure did! LOL!

This might be a stupid question, but the pic on the package of FDBWs Al sent me shows putting them in a worm cup. Is that better than sticking the cube to the glass or letting it free float?
Worm feeders are for live worms. Just stick the cube to the side of the tank but, if they don't go for it you could try breaking it up and sprinkle but eventually you can just stick it to the side.

Teshi
07-25-2012, 12:12 AM
I just stick mine to the side of the glass. The fish rip them off in about 10secs..... I've tried the cones but they get ripped off faster.

MaiaDee
07-25-2012, 12:15 AM
I just stick mine to the side of the glass. The fish rip them off in about 10secs..... I've tried the cones but they get ripped off faster.

LOL. Thank you both. Stick to the side it shall be.

a volar
07-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Well they are not the best looking discus, but, feed them well and lots of water change and hey may get beter :)

MaiaDee
07-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Well they are not the best looking discus, but, feed them well and lots of water change and hey may get beter :)

They're just babies! Be nice, they might hear you ;)

Seriously, yeah, I hope we can grow them out and while maybe they won't be the prettiest fishies ever, they may turn out to be not bad...give a new mama some hope!

DiscusDrew
07-25-2012, 02:35 AM
I promise nobody on here means that offensive, like what I said we ALL have or first discus and most of them could've been better. Its a learning experience, and you will learn lots. Genetics pay a role unfortunately, and so does their raising, which you can control at least part of, so do your best and you'll never know. I still have One of my first six discus, the one turq I actually raised beautifully and looks great despite many battles and learning a lot. So you never know, just put your all in and when you make your next order you will be happier than ever.

krislewis3
07-25-2012, 06:30 AM
I put my FDBW in a worm cup. Ive noticed that they really like pulling the worm off something. Sticking it to the glass does the same thing, but mine pull it off too fast!!!.Im no expert since Im new myself to discus, but, should a young discus have that much pattern???

MaiaDee
07-25-2012, 09:02 AM
I promise nobody on here means that offensive,

I'm really not offended. A bit of a quirky sense of humor that doesn't always translate well to writing. :)

I do appreciate everyone's input and it's nice to know when I have problems or questions, you all are here.

CrazyAngels
07-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Keep a goode eye on the red turquoise, he/she seems rather thin and possibly under the weather. Best of luck with them.

MaiaDee
07-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Keep a goode eye on the red turquoise, he/she seems rather thin and possibly under the weather. Best of luck with them.

That is the one we're most concerned about. His bag leaked in shipment and he spent the first couple hours in the tank either laying on the bottom, or struggling to stay upright. Seems to be much better this morning, although not eating yet. I know it may take some time until s/he does eat, so I'm not in a panic yet.