PDA

View Full Version : Hole in the head (HITH) ?

kikkan
07-25-2012, 04:55 AM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Hey guys, I have a breeding pair of Alenquer Discus (Stendker).
The female have some white milk puss coming out. Is this a case of a HITH (hole in the head)?
I have tried Echa Hexamita a few days, and it was gone yesterday. Today, its back again. How can I treat this?

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Only moving one side fin, not eating, but have shown beeding behavior a few days ago.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

tank = 86 gal devided in two for 2 breeding cuples, 4 fish, 7,5 inch

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
100-125% daily for the last week

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 86 F

- ph 6,5

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0

- well water

- municipal water

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
no

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z177/kikkan1/IMG_6100.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z177/kikkan1/IMG_6096.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z177/kikkan1/IMG_6098.jpg

Brent1972
07-25-2012, 05:26 AM
It looks like Hith , I would treat with Waterlife Octozin.

kikkan
07-25-2012, 05:27 AM
Ahh, just had a read that this can not be cured :(
The only thing you can do, is to prevent this to get any worse.
Good varied diet, maybe add minerals to water.
Its a lack of vitamins that causes the problem some say....

Orange Crush
07-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Those aren't holes.... I do not think this is HITH. Not sure what it is.
Keep up the large daily water changes and hopefully someone who knows what this is will chime in.

Brent1972
07-25-2012, 05:32 AM
It can be caused by water conditions , stress and many other things . some people think it is caused by low calcium levels. If the fish is kept in good water conditions ,good food and not stressed it can keep it bay.

Brent1972
07-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Those aren't holes.... I do not think this is HITH. Not sure what it is.
Keep up the large daily water changes and hopefully someone who knows what this is will chime in.

It starts with holes and then the white crap starts coming out . Have a look above the eye in the first picture !!

Orange Crush
07-25-2012, 05:37 AM
It starts with holes and then the white crap starts coming out . Have a look above the eye in the first picture !! Ah

I found this about HITH on another page ....
It is believed that the pathogen responsible for Hole in the Head (also known by a variety of other names such as Hex, head and lateral line erosion and wasting disease) is Spironucleus Vortens.

An infected fish may show one or several of the following symptoms:-

Skin lesions around the head area.
Turning dark.
Refusing to eat.
White jelly like droppings.
Muscle wasting and pinched appearance above the eyes.

jimg
07-25-2012, 08:52 AM
that is hith. I have not had this on any of my fish since the early 90's so I will just give what I would do (in order of preference) if I had it now. 3% salt dip, swab with peroxide, methylene b dip. then treat with metro.lots of clean water, I'm sure the mineral content is not to blame at all.

a volar
07-28-2012, 03:38 AM
I lost a battle with something similar to this many years ago, it usually happen when tank has been neglected, I remeber trying the swab as jim mention above............... good luck

Repairman
10-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Any updates on the affected fish? Have you been able to find a cure? I'm very interested since I have 2 discus with very similar problems - holes in the head and white discharge from the holes. I will highly appreciate any detail on this matter!

Orange Crush
10-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Any updates on the affected fish? Have you been able to find a cure? I'm very interested since I have 2 discus with very similar problems - holes in the head and white discharge from the holes. I will highly appreciate any detail on this matter!
I recommend starting your own thread in the disease section. Make sure to copy and paste and fill out this disease questionare completely. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete