PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to get 2" fry to eat anything other than FDBW and Frozen Brine Shrimp

Sasha
07-25-2012, 12:32 PM
My 2 inch fry continue to completely ignore all foods other than freeze dried blackworms and frozen spirulina brine shrimp. I've tried ground beef heart, several different kinds of flakes, Tetra bits, beef heart flakes and they just look at them in the water as if they were bricks. A few may occasionally peck at a flake here and there, but in general they won't eat them. Frozen mysis shrimp they take up and then spit out.

I'm worried about proper nutritional balance. And, of late they seem to be getting a bit bored with the FDBW.

I don't want to put a lot of time and money into making expensive and messy mixes only to have them not eat that either.

Ideas?

Thank you!

DiscusLoverJeff
07-25-2012, 12:35 PM
You can always hold off feeding for a day and try to introduce the flakes or small pellets.

Second Hand Pat
07-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Sasha, introduce the new food first thing in the morning. Also can you go into more detail with "bored with the FDBW"? Are they eating with less vigor?

Sasha
07-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I have tried to consistently introduce the new food first thing in the morning for many days, yet still have the same result (no fish eating the flakes or pellets).

You are exactly right, Pat. By "bored with the FDBW" I mean that they are eating with less vigor. When I approach the tank, they swim at the front glass apparently begging for food, and they swarm all around the food when I first put it in the tank. They used to gobble up every bite, but now they take a few bites of the blackworms and then just lose interest. And whereas they used to all be pecking at the bottom of the tank after some of the FDBW sank, now only a few will be pecking and the rest are just sort of "hanging" there in the water. Not much swimming. No seeking out food.

A few of them are beginning to have periods where they turn a little dark and stare aimlessly (they don't really connect with me with their eyes).... so I wonder if I am dealing with the onset of a disease or a parasite? (and yes, I do perform daily water changes of 75-80% minimum).

Anyway - I'd like to get them eating a more diverse (and less expensive) diet. I appreciate any hints or tips.

Sasha
07-25-2012, 03:18 PM
And by the way, while the fish have grown consistently, I don't think it is an issue of them not eating because they are full.

Second Hand Pat
07-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Sasha, I ran into this with my F1 Tefe's and I ran a full 10 day course of metro and I am following up with a 21 day course of prazipro. Please, please fill out a disease questionaire and have the more experienced folks take a look. My T1 Tefe's feeding vigor has been restored. I suspect a similar course will be recommended for you.
Pat

Sasha
07-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Sasha, I ran into this with my F1 Tefe's and I ran a full 10 day course of metro and I am following up with a 21 day course of prazipro. Please, please fill out a disease questionaire and have the more experienced folks take a look. My T1 Tefe's feeding vigor has been restored. I suspect a similar course will be recommended for you.
Pat

Thank you, Pat. Ugh. Is there a reason you have opted to go Metro and then Prazipro vs. using API's "General Cure" product (75% Metro, 25% Prazi)?

Second Hand Pat
07-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Not really Sasha, I keep forgetting about the combination meds.