PDA

View Full Version : peppering in discus

tigger
07-26-2012, 08:00 PM
I found some discus goldend pigeon with alot of peppering. The guy wants $50 for each or $90 for both.My question is can you reverse peppering and how do you do it? Is this a deal or i should pass.
Thanks for your opinions

lipadj46
07-26-2012, 08:28 PM
pass

DiscusDrew
07-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Pass, especially for a younger discus the peppering if profound already can be difficult or impossible to reverse. There's no way of knowing if it was poor breeding or something as simple as a bad background. As someone devoted to breeding and raising pigeons I would pass on that one.

a volar
07-26-2012, 09:01 PM
pass, pass

tigger
07-26-2012, 10:28 PM
I want to thank you for all of your opinions. I want to say i am glad i had asked before i spent the money. But i would like to get some in the near future. who raises them?

lipadj46
07-26-2012, 10:34 PM
You can check out the sponsors here. Discus Hans and Kenny get in many nice pigeons.

Floppy Fin's
07-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Pass, especially for a younger discus the peppering if profound already can be difficult or impossible to reverse. There's no way of knowing if it was poor breeding or something as simple as a bad background. As someone devoted to breeding and raising pigeons I would pass on that one.

Noted, your interest in Pidgeon Discus.. I have a mix of Discus Hans Pidgeon Blues and Reds. Mostly Reds. When paired up, what can one expect the siblings or offspring to resemble.. Half blues, half reds or ??
If crossed, what lineage would give the best of all genetics.??
FFins

DiscusDrew
07-27-2012, 12:36 AM
Well depending on what your wanting to do I will have Hans dark angel pigeon fry in about a month and also Winson Lau carnation pigeon fry available about the same time. There's several routes you can go depending on what you desire to do with your tanks and the care you want to give them.

Skip
07-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Post a pic

tigger
07-27-2012, 08:26 AM
okay now i know where to get them. thanks for letting me know. I don't want to have the ones i do get to end up peeppering. So I read that black (back ground and gravel or painted bottoms) or any thing dark. I don't know if I want to still go with BB or to put sand or substrate (planted tank). I have a 55g BB with 3 snakeskins almost adult size. (i think) I do 50% wc every other day. I feed 3 times a day (BH,FBW,flake food) I would like to get a 75 and get rid of my 55 for my discus tank.

brianyam
07-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Pass. Dont buy discus with stuff like that. Kinda funny. We just went back and forth on this issue on another thread.

Skip
07-27-2012, 11:49 AM
some people like peppering.. some don't

it does not affect health

tigger
07-27-2012, 12:42 PM
What other thread was that? If I may ask

strawberryblonde
07-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Kenny and Hans are definitely great choices, and I'd also like to mention Johns Discus if you're into the golden pigeons or carnation pigeons.

I'm growing out 4 of Johns Golden Sunshines and one unidentified pigeon strain (he sent it to me as a surprise). They are totally gorgeous and show no signs of peppering even against a black background. I do have the bottom painted off white, which helps, and run LED lights. Oh wait, should mention that the unidentified pigeon will show a faint dark splotch during water changes and feedings. It looks like a bow tie under her chin. Beyond that though, these guys are eye clean. =)

Pardon the mess, these were taken during feeding time and right after a water change.

Wearing a Bowtie during dinner (and right after a water change)

No Bowtie.

tigger
07-27-2012, 03:50 PM
wow they are really nice. I really like the 2nd pic. How do i get a hold of him? The bad thang now is I just found out I am having thyrod surgery. It is pressing on my trachia and vocal cords.

magewynd
07-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Hey Toni,
Looks like John sent you a carnation. Better hide it from Drew if it's a girl.

Tigger, John is a sponsor here. Look for him under John's Discus.

tigger
07-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks Steve for the tip. I will go and look to see what john is up to. Thanks again to every one.

DiscusDrew
07-27-2012, 08:56 PM
I see her.....

strawberryblonde
07-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Hey Toni,
Looks like John sent you a carnation. Better hide it from Drew if it's a girl.

Tigger, John is a sponsor here. Look for him under John's Discus.

Ruh roh, somebody make me a little discus chastity belt for my carnation!

Thanks for giving it a name Steve. I kinda thought it was a carnation, but was chicken to call it that for sure. And yep, she's a girl and laying eggs every 5 days. Sadly, the rest are too young to care about eggs n such so she ends up eating them...all alone in her corner of the tank.

tigger, if you like the second pic, you really should see the discus in the last pic up close! I named her Rosy because she's lost nearly all her patterning and is a blend of bright yellow and rosy pink hues. She's breathtaking!

DiscusDrew
07-28-2012, 12:24 AM
I'd buy her off of you if you'd ever consider it, just letting you know Toni no pressure at all my friend. She looks beautiful and i'm very much in the market for a carnation female, I have too many males and no females to pair them with. You do such a wonderful job growing out fish too so i'm positive she is one happy healthy little pigeon.

strawberryblonde
07-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Still too small for breeding though Drew. Let me finish growing her out and then we'll talk. She's about 6" now and maybe 6 - 7 months old.

DiscusDrew
07-29-2012, 12:45 AM
I think we may be onto something here Toni... We jokingly talked about this before with Hans' fish, but when I think about it I'd actually seriously consider this course of action. I dont MIND growing out fish, and I know how and what not obviously, but number one its really just not my biggest pleasure in discus once they get to about 2.5 inches from a baby, and number two you have a SERIOUS knack for growing out discus to an incredible degree. (Note this feeling about growing out discus doesnt apply to the ones I breed and choose to raise all the way, a little different there) But I in all seriousness would very much consider allowing you to grow fish to the point your happy with them, and then having me breed them when they reach adulthood. I would be more than willing to pay to get breeding stock to that point and their sex confirmed then shipping them and pairing them myself to be bred, we could be onto something here Toni.... We could be onto something... ;)

DiscusDrew
07-29-2012, 12:48 AM
OHHH OHHH even better!!! I can ship you the F1, F2, and so on juvies that I intend to keep and eventually breed. You can get them big and fat and sexy, then we ship them in the reverse direction to be re-bred into the lines.... I like it...

EDIT: I just realized we wouldnt have to even ship them.... Im right next to Idaho, granted its the panhandle northern part, but still no more than a 4-5 hour drive to the other side of the state. Ive done far crazier things for discus.

magewynd
07-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Hey, I thought this was my idea for you two.

strawberryblonde
07-29-2012, 01:53 AM
OHHH OHHH even better!!! I can ship you the F1, F2, and so on juvies that I intend to keep and eventually breed. You can get them big and fat and sexy, then we ship them in the reverse direction to be re-bred into the lines.... I like it...

EDIT: I just realized we wouldnt have to even ship them.... Im right next to Idaho, granted its the panhandle northern part, but still no more than a 4-5 hour drive to the other side of the state. Ive done far crazier things for discus.

I'm liking this plan of yours! Just let me get this current batch grown out and then we can jaw on it and plan on the first exchange of victi...errrr... lovingly cared for fish. =)

Oh and I had hubby measure the carnation just to be sure of her size and yep, she's a full 6" now. Still really really young though. Good egg layer!

DiscusDrew
07-29-2012, 02:54 AM
I'm excited, you have great ideas apparently Steve because I was kinda joking about it before but then I started thinking about it and I actually really like the idea.... I look forward to it Toni :)