PDA

View Full Version : Water changing temperature - using cold water

Jdizon20
07-27-2012, 02:54 PM
I keep my tank at temperature of 86.
I use kitchen sink/faucet which is ~55 feet away from the tank to get water temperature the same as tank. I use bucket method to change water. I don’t age the water.
There is a faucet which is only 3 feet away from the tank but it’s only cold water.
I want to make my life easier. I just got *a python water changer that will reach the cold water faucet. I am thinking of just using cold water to change 50% water daily and let the heater warm up the water.
I’m worried about the temperature swing and how it will stress the discus. *
1)***** What is a healthy temperature swing that discus can tolerate?
2)***** Daily changes = daily swings in temperature. Too stressful for fish?
3)***** Should I lower the temperature in my tank so as to narrow the spread between the cold faucet water and tank water?
4). I could change less water to lessen the swing but i actually want to change more if water changing is easier using closer faucet.

Thanks

oldfar
07-27-2012, 03:19 PM
They will not tolerate big swings in temp every day or any day, cold water can take many hrs to warm up with heater .No way man.

a volar
07-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Definitely NO....... discus won’t tolerate that, you going to have a lot of problems down the road if you use cold water.... usually a difference in temperature about 2 degrees wont hurt, but more and frequently it will hurt.

John_Nicholson
07-27-2012, 03:36 PM
I have always aged my water to it has never been a problem for me. I did watch Jim Quarles do 50% water changes with water that was about 68 degrees. He told me that he did it that way every day.....I don't know for sure.

-john

Skip
07-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Stendker website says they use cold

Larry Bugg
07-27-2012, 03:53 PM
I have always aged my water to it has never been a problem for me. I did watch Jim Quarles do 50% water changes with water that was about 68 degrees. He told me that he did it that way every day.....I don't know for sure.

-john

I quite often hit my pairs with water at 72 to 75 to stimulate breeding. Doesn't seem to phase them.

YSS
07-27-2012, 03:58 PM
So matching temp during water change is over rated? :)

John_Nicholson
07-27-2012, 04:06 PM
So matching temp during water change is over rated? :)

I would say yes, but then again since I heat the entire fish house my water is always very close. Like Larry said cooler water will often encourage pairs to spawn, but I no longer have that ability.

-john

Jdizon20
07-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Stendker website says they use cold

Warlock, I remember reading that you do change water 50% using cold water. Couldn't find the thread again so i can't confirm or date it. If still do that, what is the temperature swing in your tank during your water changes?

YSS
07-27-2012, 04:12 PM
but I no longer have that ability.

-john

You mean ability to spawn, John? ;)

John_Nicholson
07-27-2012, 04:17 PM
You mean ability to spawn, John? ;)

I promise my spawning abilities remain strong....LOL.

-john

Jdizon20
07-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies (and also the comedy). It's all sounding encouraging. I guess I will give it a try and just observe to see how they react. If anyone else has experienced / has tried this and had negative results please let me know. I would be interested on the symptoms if any.

a volar
07-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Ok, I understand that you can change water with lower temp to encourage spawn, but how many of you are doing ALL water changes with cold water?

Cambik
07-27-2012, 04:48 PM
During the summer my tap water comes out around 80 degrees so (cold). So I don't even turn the hot water on. But in the winter I have been known to do a water change with just cold water (lower70's) to keep micro bubbles away. That's the only time I tend to have that issue.

BobDaniel
07-27-2012, 04:57 PM
I used to use unheated water on pairs after a water change. The water was not ice cold, but around 75 degrees and one pair would spawn reliably after this treatment.

Skip
07-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Ok, I understand that you can change water with lower temp to encourage spawn, but how many of you are doing ALL water changes with cold water?

i do when doing my WC.. since it is NOT 100% WC.. maybe 50-75%.. there is still warm water.. being in TEXAS>>. cold.. is not THAT COLD>. i don't keep track.. SAFE..then FILLER UP..

of course.. i use the KISS METHOD

YSS
07-27-2012, 06:13 PM
i do when doing my WC.. since it is NOT 100% WC.. maybe 50-75%.. there is still warm water.. being in TEXAS>>. cold.. is not THAT COLD>. i don't keep track.. SAFE..then FILLER UP..

of course.. i use the KISS METHOD

Yup. I wouldn't even dream of doing water changes with cold water during winter and it's not as cold in VA as some places get. Not matching water temp is one thing, but dumping 40 degree water into the tank is an entirely a different thing.

Keith Perkins
07-28-2012, 01:26 AM
My cold tap now is about 73, but in the winter it's in the upper 50's. What works now may not work come January.

xxbenjamminxx
07-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Wow whenever I fill the ageing barrel with the hose the digital therm drops down to around 60. I wouldnt ever consider using that cool of water for a WC.

DiscusDrew
07-28-2012, 03:07 AM
+1 to all the commentary about utilizing cold water as a method to induce spawning. I have done it, aged, and with no more than a 10 degree difference approximately. Works like a champ depending on the pair.... Now, doing that ever day.... I tend to agree with the first few people that responded, I dont feel this is anywhere near optimal when you have a faucet as you said "55 feet away" from the tank. Python 20' estension = about $25. INVEST!!! At least then you have the option of controlling your water, and your not at the will of whatever season it is outside... This process could very well be feasable in the summer, but not in the winter, depending on where you live. And my general approach to discus has always been to maintain consistency whenever possible, and this has always done me right. Frequent change = frequent problems in my experience.

Jdizon20
08-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks again for all the posts. I guess I thought the answer was going to be specific, was looking for temperature ranges, etc. The answer, as it always ends up being, is just common sense. I will buy an extension hose for those days when I need to roll the whole thing out. Weather/temperature outside cooperating, these fish sound like they are pretty hardy. Its been pretty hot out in the north east and I've been changing 50% using tap unheated water.

wannadivesteve
08-04-2012, 01:06 PM
If money's not a huge issue, a small on demand water heater at the close source might be a good idea. It's handy having water very close.

I'm freaking out at the idea of a sudden temperature drop, especially over a couple of degrees, but I do not have no real discus experience so I can't say it's justified. Back when I had my aquarium shop, we used to save the bags from feeder goldfish and put them in the tanks for the new water after a 70% wc every Tuesday (Wednesday was fish arrival day), theory being if there was much of a change it'd occur more slowly having to transfer through the plastic. We'd end up with big bags in our tanks for 30 minutes, but we had zip for problems after water changes.... not sure they made the difference, it's just how I'd always done it.

Skip
08-04-2012, 02:06 PM
U will have temp drops in the tank anyways...

Thats why ur heater turns on and off

Trier20
08-05-2012, 03:19 AM
My heaters stopped working in my aging barrel so I check the temp and do a x% water change by whatever tempthe water is. Mine has been around 73-75 I can get away with about a 60% WC with about a 5 degree swing in temp.