PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating pair (pairs)

TropicalFishFanatic
07-29-2012, 10:05 AM
I have a confirmed pair of super reds and I cannot get them to spawn in a breeder tank. In my show tank they spawn every 10 days to 2 weeks and just recently (2 months ago) the male has taken up with another female, right now he has two spawns he is taking care of. I have tried moving all 3 to a breeding tank (30 gal.) .... same results... they just sit on the bottom (except at feeding time) and show no signs of spawning. I have tried to make the breeder tank identical to the show but to no avail. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

John_Nicholson
07-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Patience. Put the pair in the breeding tank and leave them for the next year. You cannot rush them. Some will spawn very quick after moving and some take a little time to settle in.

-john

TropicalFishFanatic
07-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Best to just put one pair or try the trio?

John_Nicholson
07-29-2012, 11:56 AM
I would go with one pair. Trio's seldom work.

-john

ExReefer
07-29-2012, 12:10 PM
If you put the other pair in a breeder tank right next to them it might speed things up. When discus see other discus they feel more secure and instincts kick in.

Ashiya
08-15-2012, 01:51 AM
I have a confirmed pair of super reds and I cannot get them to spawn in a breeder tank. In my show tank they spawn every 10 days to 2 weeks and just recently (2 months ago) the male has taken up with another female, right now he has two spawns he is taking care of. I have tried moving all 3 to a breeding tank (30 gal.) .... same results... they just sit on the bottom (except at feeding time) and show no signs of spawning. I have tried to make the breeder tank identical to the show but to no avail. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I had somewhat the same problem as you Tropical. What me and my husband did was to try and duplicate the parameters of our show tank after we found out that we had a confirmed pair amongs 4 of our discus. We relocated the fish that were in the 20 gal. into the 40 gal. and cleaned the 20 gal. (that was located in our master bedroom) emptied out the gravel, placed 2 sponge filters on one side of the tank, while the other side had 2 terracota cones with the hole at the bottom sealed with a pvc pipe plug with a fitted coupling that we bought at Home Depot. (5 dollars all together) To keep the wrigglers from wandering in the hole of the Pot. At first they seemed very frightened, which is typical for any fish after suddenly being moved from their home to a new and unknown tank. We left them alone most of the time, only entering the room when they needed to be fed. They didn't show any signs of breeding and my husband got dissapointed so we put them back in their home tank. A few weeks later they breed again (after finally getting comfortable...) Ultimately we decided, if we plan to try and breed our fish... we needed to be extra patient. So long story short, we put them back and took them (about a month, maybe less...) and they finally decided to breed in the 20. gal. This is their 4th-5th spawn. First 2 times they ate their eggs but never making it past wrigglers. A few weeks back, they got all the way too wrigglers, but having issues eating their young afterwards... which happens a day or two after hatching. lol and so that's were I'm at atm.

But Anywayz! Don't give up and b patient, best thing you can do is to make sure ur breeding tank is in a quiet place and occasionally pop in to check on them while feeding or out of curiosity. (don't do it to much tho) I found out the best hint for them close to spawning is when the female's breeding tube sticks out. It has never failed me! :D and btw they just made their 4th -5th spawn earlier today. This time the female made more eggs than her last few batches!