PDA

View Full Version : keep coming back...

Coffee1stLife2nd
07-30-2012, 01:31 AM
well im back again..LOL... as some of u might know ive been sitting with a empty 180 for almost a year,, just doing research Reading Reading Reading,, any ways ive been hanging out at some salt water forums was thinking of doing that BUT i have decided FOR SURE im going with discus.. cant help it i just keep coming back to them... So now i just have to get my equipment. I guess there are NEW MarineLand lights coming out in about 2 months so i am going to wait for them.. I guess they are double bright with moonlights AND they also have timer built in. Guy said they should run about $600 for a 6 foot tank... So this coming up wk end im making hubby go shopping with me to start getting all the other stuff... will keep you all updated when i start putting it together...

ktm4us6
07-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Welcome back, I setup my 500g tank with leds from superbrightleds.com for under $200 you have to retrofit the lights, but huge savings. The lights work great on my planted tank. I'm running 14 2ft strips and checked how much it was costing me to run them per month with a kw meter and its under $5.

Coffee1stLife2nd
07-30-2012, 09:00 AM
thanks KTM i will check them out,,,

Floppy Fin's
07-30-2012, 12:59 PM
For that cost ($600.00) I think I would wait for the factory production to plug the warehouse and then the fire sale.
Pure economics at work... WORK?? Whazzat??

decoy50
07-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Is there anything else different about these new doublebright LEDs other than the timer? I got a set of Marineland doublebrights last week(48in, extends to 60in) for $150. You can buy a timer for about $5.

LizStreithorst
07-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Good lord, I make my own lights for cheap. These must be very special to be worth $600. If it's a display tank that is to be a focal point of your home decore, and everything must be perfect, and you can afford it, go for it. If not, give it a good think before you throw away $600.

BTW, Nice Pom in your avatar.

strawberryblonde
07-30-2012, 03:48 PM
I also have my Marineland LED's on a timer. The lights were around $100 (4 ft tank) and the timer was $7.50.

Coffee1stLife2nd
07-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Tank is 6ft. and the new ones have the brights on 1 timer and the moonlights have another built in timer to set. from my understanding on the older ones you can not set the brights and the moonlight on separate timers because they are wired together. maybe im mistaken please let me know... Yes it is a display tank. i got together my order today and sending it in tomorrow for some fun stuff. I am going to TRY and make my own over flow boxes I do not like the clear one that came with it because ive heard that the U shape can get air in them. im going to try and modify http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65yVr7DiDls and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqROZsSBAAU im not much of a DIY girl but want to try. im doing these because i dont want to try and drill my tank.. positive i would break it.. and im also going to try and make a spray bar instead of having the 2 output tubes that came with it.. hope i dont blow the fish out of the water . my pump is a Little Giant with a flow rate of 1225 GPH. but im attaching a shut off valve so hopefully i can ajust the pressure. Ive never did anything like this before so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Im using 1 inch pvc piping. on both overflow and spraybar so the size matches. im just sort of winging this as i go along. but today was the 1st time i actually enjoyed myself at Menards and Home Depot.