PDA

View Full Version : No slime coat.

troweler
07-30-2012, 07:58 PM
My discus pair have finally hatched out some wrigglers which are now free swimming after only a couple of days. Problem is the pair dont seem to have any slime coat for them to feed off. Any ideas why this is and what can i do to feed them?
Thanks for any answers.:confused:

Bill63SG
07-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Just got walked thru this a couple months ago.I divided a small tank,lowered the water level,and heavily fed bbs.7488674887Here they are right now.7488874889How new is the pair?With these fry,it took a couple of spawns before the fry attached.

troweler
07-31-2012, 06:26 AM
Hi bill These have been paired aboiut 3 month now and after a few spawns finally got a few wrigglers. They seem tentative parents though with the few left that have survived picking them up in their mouths and blowing them back onto the cone. But because there is no slime coat the fry wont attach to them. Someone said bbs are to big for them to eat at this stage as they should be feeding of parents for about 3 weeks. Was suggested dropping infusoria in the tank?

graham.

John_Nicholson
07-31-2012, 08:53 AM
They can eat fresh hatched BBS on day one. The trouble is them finding the food. You will need to confine them to a small area and feed heavily. That also means that you have to work extra hard to keep the water quality good. Most pair will get better as time goes on. My suggestion is to be patient. Even if they lose these that will make more....

-john

troweler
07-31-2012, 06:20 PM
So why no slime coat?

jimg
07-31-2012, 06:36 PM
So why no slime coat? maybe you just expect to see it real heavy? if you feel the slime is not enough try lowering the ph.

Bill63SG
07-31-2012, 07:19 PM
They can eat fresh hatched BBS on day one. The trouble is them finding the food. You will need to confine them to a small area and feed heavily. That also means that you have to work extra hard to keep the water quality good. Most pair will get better as time goes on. My suggestion is to be patient. Even if they lose these that will make more....

-johnJohns the guy who helped me with my spawn.They are proof you dont need to wait three weeks.These guys were at about 5 days,and the picture is of another I pulled at around three days.That is why the tank is divided that way,small space,with filter and heater on other side.I clean the bottom of the tank with the fry carefully,then do the rest of the wc on the other side for less disturbance.I raised the water slowly during the week,and then at around two weeks pulled the divider.Pic of batch 2.7489674897