PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Forrest giant blue strain

Big-Ken
07-30-2012, 10:01 PM
I got 6 Forrest giant blue discus from Kenny 2 1/2 months ago and I can't find any info about the strain and I have some questions

What is the origin of this strain?? Are they considered high body?? Does the Forrest part of the name just distinguish that Forrest was the breeder or does it mean more?? why can't I find any info is this a newer strain??

Thanks
Ken

BobDaniel
07-30-2012, 10:03 PM
I hope someone can answer these questions because I like big, tank busting discus too, LOL!

cjr8420
07-30-2012, 11:00 PM
its a blue mutt that can get really big.forest is breeder i read its a cross of a giant flora and another blue i forgot what .but u get mix of blue turqs,colbalts,scorps,snakeskins or other varieties of these blue strains hth

Big-Ken
07-30-2012, 11:30 PM
I clearly didn't look hard enough, here is a quote from Forrest from another thread

*the FGB im selling recently were offspring of f2 backcross with the giant blue scopion trying to gain more metalic blue to this strain.......
mine are from the backcross f2 FGB with high body giant genetics and a metallic giant blue scorpion

Here's the thread with pics of the parents
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93395-Forrest-Blue-Giant

forrest
07-30-2012, 11:33 PM
I got 6 Forrest giant blue discus from Kenny 2 1/2 months ago and I can't find any info about the strain and I have some questions

What is the origin of this strain?? Are they considered high body?? Does the Forrest part of the name just distinguish that Forrest was the breeder or does it mean more?? why can't I find any info is this a newer strain??

Thanks
Ken

hi Ken,
here is the answer, it maybe a little bit complicated but i try to make it simple on the genetic.

What is the origin of this strain??
the original strain for FGB were, altum flora and a giant gene blue snakeskin.

Are they considered high body??
yes, they r consider hibody but not bulldog, non bulldog genetic at all. this strain will grow up to 8" or even bigger with good care, ofcos female maybe smaller.

Does the Forrest part of the name just distinguish that Forrest was the breeder or does it mean more??
FGB is my own cross, they maybe some similar strain from other breeders but i ve been working on this line for years, and now i still try to improve the strain to a better result....just as those i ve sold out from the F1 n F2 already have some different on their colors.i dont name it as a new strain but just a improve version of blue snakeskin or turqouise.

why can't I find any info is this a newer strain??
lol...that bcos it maybe too complicated for me to 100% explain the strain, i choose to gave them a name instead of explaining F1,F2,F3 , from F3 back cross F1 blue snakeskin , from F3 back cross F1 altum flora , from F3 out cross.....or from F2 out cross.....etc....it will be much confusing if ones r not really into it...lot of ppl was thinking of getting what they want in just a generation...unfortuanlely usually not, we have to keep back cross or out cross the fishes to get an improvement....yet, it is also a lot of failure behind the scene.

ps:this cross isnt end yet, i still try to get the current version to improve but who knows the result....those r you guys getting may look slight different bcos they r from different crossing or different generation of corss.

best rgds,
forrest

Big-Ken
07-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Thank you Forrest that was perfect, regardless of the origins they are great looking and the metallic blue already showing in there fins is incredible and they are only 3.5-4" I can't wait til they get BIG :)

Crockett
07-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Forest in Kenny's August order there are some Cobalts w/giant and deep blue gene, are these the same as FGB you are describing here. If not, will these cobalts develop solid bodies or will the striations they have over their bodies remain as adults.

Poco
07-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Forest in Kenny's August order there are some Cobalts w/giant and deep blue gene, are these the same as FGB you are describing here. If not, will these cobalts develop solid bodies or will the striations they have over their bodies remain as adults.

+1 I would like to see the adult pics of these FGB (Kenny's August shipment)

hedut
07-31-2012, 04:27 PM
+1 I would like to see the adult pics of these FGB (Kenny's August shipment)

FGB = forrest Giant blue right? please do check the link before u ask ;):D http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93395-Forrest-Blue-Giant. he post those parent of FGB.

laupao
07-31-2012, 04:30 PM
here is a link to the FGB adult

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?84013-Preview-of-Early-Dec-2010-Forrest-shipment-%28Price-list-included%29/page3&highlight=Giant+blue

Big-Ken
07-31-2012, 06:35 PM
I think he wants to see pics of the parents of the giant deep blue gene cobalts in Kennys latest shipment post

I would assume that since they are labeled a cobalts they will have a solid blue body with a deeper blue than regular and the genetics to get big

Poco
07-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks guys it gives a good reference point how the parents might look like.

forrest
07-31-2012, 11:09 PM

hi Crockett n all,
the cobalt with giant gene r not FGB,those r from another breeder, big but not high body. they have deep metalic blue but as when they turn to adult, u may have to gamble with their color, some will turn out solid n some may still remain with very slight striations....i dont have the pictures of the adult giant gene cobalt.

best rgds,
forrest