PDA

View Full Version : My Discus 3P

yanjoseph
07-31-2012, 09:43 PM
When I came back today, I saw two pigeons spawning on the filter tube. After about 30 mins, there was another pigeon attending them. Looks like the first two are females and the third one is male. Is that 3P common in discus fish? Did anybody have this situation before? Three fish in cycles are the 3P fish. So I have to move these 3 fish to the breeding tank together. Hah.74899

Chicago Discus
07-31-2012, 09:51 PM
When I came back today, I saw two pigeons spawning on the filter tube. After about 30 mins, there was another pigeon attending them. Looks like the first two are females and the third one is male. Is that 3P common in discus fish? Did anybody have this situation before? Three fish in cycles are the 3P fish. So I have to move these 3 fish to the breeding tank together. Hah.74899

Ok that made me laugh. To answer your question no I wouldn't put three of them in a breeding tank I would pick a nice female and the male and let them get comfortable and let nature take it course. You probably had two females spawning and a male came over to get into the action.......Josie

nc0gnet0
07-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Or a third female...........

Rick

Larry Bugg
07-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Did you actually see eggs coming out of both tubes? Could be a male and two females, three females, two males and one female. Only thing we know for sure is that it isn't three males. They do not spawn in threes so you are better off waiting until something is proven.

DiscusDrew
08-01-2012, 02:46 AM
Did you actually see eggs coming out of both tubes? Could be a male and two females, three females, two males and one female. Only thing we know for sure is that it isn't three males. They do not spawn in threes so you are better off waiting until something is proven.
+1... And I find watching their sexy time tubes to be quite difficult while their spawning so I would try pairs and when they confirm they confirm, if you continually get eggs that turn white very quickly... well, I think you get the idea at least... Sexing discus is something not even the well seasoned experts in this hobby do with any large degree of certainty.... We as breeders know what we have when the fry come popping out of the eggs. (refering to the sex, it takes far longer than that to determine what our strain is composed of)

yanjoseph
08-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Ok that made me laugh. To answer your question no I wouldn't put three of them in a breeding tank I would pick a nice female and the male and let them get comfortable and let nature take it course. You probably had two females spawning and a male came over to get into the action.......Josie

Thank you, Josie. But now I am a little bit confused that which are females and males. They are protecting these eggs together and actually these two females fish (I think) were swimming together. I will keep an eye on it.

yanjoseph
08-01-2012, 08:59 AM

No, I did not. I did not turned on the light so it is hard to say the eggs from which fish. You are right, there is at least one female of the three.