PDA

View Full Version : Pair

dpete9
08-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Below is the pair that I want to use for the Hobbyist Challenge. Actually it's the only adult female I have left since I recently sold my others. She is a stubborn girl and prefers to only span with this guy. He is a Virgin Red Cross with Albino genome. She is a Wayne NG Albino 3R2. I have tried this pair in the past and they have produced a tiny clutch of 8, which I scrapped for a chance for them to produce a decent sized clutch.
Of the last fry, from what I could tell, there were 7 non-albinos and 1 albino.Or maybe he wasn't an albino?? he was the only one that was a pure white (at 2 wks) but I didn't see any red eyes yet.

DAY 2 OF RE-INTRODUCTION
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/petee33/GoldieBrownie.jpg

Oh and ha ha never mind my little artwork on the tank, my partner in crime is taking care of them for a few days while I am away at work.

I want some fry to turn out like the Albino Red Covers in Kenny's Discus Thread: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98115-PREVIEW-of-August-2012-Forrest-shipment-(Price-list-included)/page4

(http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98115-PREVIEW-of-August-2012-Forrest-shipment-(Price-list-included)/page4)

rdiscus
08-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Similar to my pair, is it the one you were talking about?

Nice pair ... love to see some albino fry from them ...

BowRiver
08-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Nice pair, hope they start spawning for you soon on time to enter the contest.Good luck

dpete9
08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Similar to my pair, is it the one you were talking about?

Nice pair ... love to see some albino fry from them ...

Yes It is the one I was talking about. I think in any case it's going to be fun seeing the outcome! Thanks :-)

dpete9
08-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Nice pair, hope they start spawning for you soon on time to enter the contest.Good luck

Thank you. She hasn't laid eggs in 2 wks So I'm a bit nervous she's starting her "dry spell". From past experience they stop for months at a time.. hope this isn't the case.

Chicago Discus
08-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Thank you. She hasn't laid eggs in 2 wks So I'm a bit nervous she's starting her "dry spell". From past experience they stop for months at a time.. hope this isn't the case.

Lots of Barry White LOL......Josie

Second Hand Pat
08-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Pete, hope they spawn for you.
Pat

dpete9
08-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Lots of Barry White LOL......Josie

Pete, hope they spawn for you.
Pat
Thank you both.. Me too.

BowRiver
08-01-2012, 12:11 PM
More bloodworm and WC hope that stimulate them to spawn, look forward to see your update soon with some nice abino fry.

dpete9
08-01-2012, 12:44 PM
I have a question for some of the albino breeding experts out there.
If you have a pair such as this where one is albino and the other is a albino genome (sp??). What should I be looking for very young ones to know if they may be albino? I can't see anything different in their eyes, so should i just be looking for the ones that are white? If that's the case, based on the previous batch, I would want her to lay over 200 eggs so that I can get the 30 albino fry from the spawn for the contest.

nc0gnet0
08-01-2012, 05:48 PM
A spawn of 200 eggs should give you 100 albino fry with that pair (assuming all the eggs hatch). However, the survival rate of the albino's can be problematic when forced to compete with thier non-albino brethren. The albino fry will be white, but whether or not all the white fry are albino's will depend on what the VR was crossed with to produce your male, an albino intermediate.

Rod
08-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Wow, nice pair. Good luck :)

dpete9
08-01-2012, 10:54 PM
A spawn of 200 eggs should give you 100 albino fry with that pair (assuming all the eggs hatch). However, the survival rate of the albino's can be problematic when forced to compete with thier non-albino brethren. The albino fry will be white, but whether or not all the white fry are albino's will depend on what the VR was crossed with to produce your male, an albino intermediate.

Extremely helpful information! I suspect there were more albinos in the tiny spawn they had last time and they never made it to attachment.

dpete9
08-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Wow, nice pair. Good luck :) Thanks Rod. That means a lot coming from a pro like yourself :)

dpete9
08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't know how long I will be living where I do and if I will be moving to another country soon or not, but with so little certainty I am still going to make this work AND>>>> I finally have 12 days off from work starting tomorrow.. Imma make this pair spawn if it takes every trick in the book. I have no idea why she just stopped. Also I didn't tell the whole truth about scrapping the last tiny batch.. I actually put them in a separate little floating "fry save contraption" in the tank with larger juvies.. It was ok i guess until my helper had to leave for a few days and no one home to feed them. they were about dime size and one month old.. I thought the choice was let them starve to death in this floating basket or set them loose with the juvies and hope they can find food on their own.. well that was a mistake.. the juvies killed them in less than an hour.. but there is a reason i was telling this story. before they were murdered I could see some pretty deep red coloring already showing up on them. It makes me hopeful!
Any thoughts even criticism is welcomed!