PDA

View Full Version : Stunted Discus or Not?

Kal-El
08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
I got three Red Pigeon Blood juvenile two weeks ago and I keep thinking that they are Stunted as their eyes and body ratio aren't the best yet. They are about 2" from noise to end of tail. Let me know what you guys think, Stunted or Not?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/imageher/IMAG1409.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/imageher/IMAG1406.jpg

I hoping with me doing 70% and 100% water change twice a day will help them grow as best as they can. They aren't eating aggressively but are eating little bits of FDBW and Brine shrimp at the moment. They won't even touch Beef hearts.

lipadj46
08-02-2012, 10:33 AM
IMO they are just young, not stunted

PAR23
08-02-2012, 10:40 AM
IMO they are just young, not stunted

I agree. Keep feeding them and maintain clean water and they will surprise you. What were they fed before you got them?

Lenin
08-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Young

Kal-El
08-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I agree. Keep feeding them and maintain clean water and they will surprise you. What were they fed before you got them?

This is good news as I plan to grow these guys out for breeding. Funny thing is that they were feed Beef Heart but they won't even touch the ones I've mix or store bought frozen cubes one. I guess I will continue to feed them what they eat until they beef up a little and will slowly starve them a little to get them to eat some Beef Hearts.

PAR23
08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
This is good news as I plan to grow these guys out for breeding. Funny thing is that they were feed Beef Heart but they won't even touch the ones I've mix or store bought frozen cubes one. I guess I will continue to feed them what they eat until they beef up a little and will slowly starve them a little to get them to eat some Beef Hearts.

Can you purchase some BH mix from your seller? IMO/E, nothing puts on size like BH mix. I still feed them to my adults.

Lenin
08-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Get some BeefHeart Pro-Growth flakes from Empire Discus.

Kal-El
08-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I agree with BH mix do put on great size and I have grown other Juvie to very good size with BH. I will look into Beef Heart Pro-Growth flakes from Empire (Anyone know how long they last and do they have to be refrigerated). As for BH from the seller it's out of question as shipping would be way too much for frozen food unless i order in bulk.

Lenin
08-02-2012, 11:10 AM
I bought 1lb about 3 months ago and I still have 1/3 of it left, they're flakes but if you refrigerate I think they're good for a year.

PAR23
08-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I agree with BH mix do put on great size and I have grown other Juvie to very good size with BH. I will look into Beef Heart Pro-Growth flakes from Empire (Anyone know how long they last and do they have to be refrigerated). As for BH from the seller it's out of question as shipping would be way too much for frozen food unless i order in bulk.

Gotcha.......I kept my BH flakes from Bill in the freezer for 6 months prior to using it. I've read that time span is acceptable.

Chicago Discus
08-02-2012, 11:28 AM

try giving them my beef heart but grind it up with a grater they might like it and the beef heart you purchased has pro growth in it from Andrew Soh.....josie

Kal-El
08-02-2012, 11:31 AM
try giving them my beef heart but grind it up with a grater they might like it and the beef heart you purchased has pro growth in it from Andrew Soh.....josie

They won't even eat yours or mine mix. I will try to grind it it smaller although my other Discus love yours and the ones I have, your Reds eats them too but they seem to prefer FDBW the best. will also try Beef Heart Pro-Growth flakes from Empire.

Chicago Discus
08-02-2012, 11:34 AM
They won't even eat yours or mine mix. I will try to grind it it smaller although my other Discus love yours and the ones I have, your Reds eats them too but they seem to prefer FDBW the best. will also try Beef Heart Pro-Growth flakes from Empire.

its good stuff I use it here...Josie

P.S. use a cheese grater like for parmesan cheese

Kal-El
08-02-2012, 11:37 AM
its good stuff I use it here...Josie

P.S. use a cheese grater like for parmesan cheese

Once again thanks for the advice, you rock. Hopefully in a few months i will be talking about how big they got along with your Fire Reds. BTW, these Red Pigeon are not from Josies :D. It's from a source I will not name as I'm giving these young guys a chance to fully grow. Updates in 7months.

k7prz
08-03-2012, 09:47 AM
All my fish go crazy for live white worms. You might consider getting a culture going. I bought a teaspoon
full via mail from the UK and the survived the mail trip here to Oregon. I feed them bread---they live in
potting soil/peat moss mix in plastic containers the size of a shoe box. Pretty easy to keep alive.
Main diet is frozen blood worms, flake food and pellets and then white worms couple times a week.

Dave

Bill63SG
08-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Are they eating anything.I've had luck with either first feeding,hungriest,or mixing a little of what they're eating with the new food.My guys love frozen blackworms,so I shave some of them with the beefheart until staight beefheart in the morning.

Kal-El
08-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Are they eating anything.I've had luck with either first feeding,hungriest,or mixing a little of what they're eating with the new food.My guys love frozen blackworms,so I shave some of them with the beefheart until staight beefheart in the morning.

They only eat FDBW, Blood Worms, & Brine Shrimp. They won't eat any BH, sera discus granules, or Tera's Bits. For now I'll continue to feed what they like until they fatten up. Right now they are skinny but stomach starting to show that's it's full now. Once my BH Pro-growth flakes comes in I'll give those a shot.