PDA

View Full Version : Discus gill flukes perhaps?

santeclaws
08-03-2012, 05:06 AM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

About beginning of the month, fish started dying, Jumpers, and other issues. 4/8 remaining. Lack of eating... etc etc.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

2/4 of the remaining fish turn dark constantly, look great when they sleep though! No vigorous eating anymore.
hiding all day at the back corner near the intake, there are worms in the gills of one of my eruptions, and my turq seems to have a flared gill and excessive breathing. No external issues seen on my other eruption, or snow white. All 4 seem to sleepswim into the open at night though!

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Daily WC's 50% for the last week or so, and PraziPro yesterday (July 31st) just as a preventative... seems to have brought out the worms tonight, only day 2!

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

85, about 8 months now, 4 discus remaining, and the fish are all about 3.5-4 inches

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Only yesterday did I go back to gravel from bare bottom. Was doing 50% water changes everyday almost before the change and saw no improvement in the fish, and even lost a few. Tank was going for about 8 months now. Tried tap water WC first, then now using aged water as of 2 months ago, no noticeable difference.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ___84__

- ph __7___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _0___

- well water _nope___

- municipal water __yes!__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
I recently merged all my tanks together, I added 7 cardinals 4 siamese algae eaters and 7 bristle noses from other tanks around the house. All these fish had absolutely no issues for about 2 months, whereas the discus had the most issues. Went from bare bottom to heavily planted as shown in the picture below.

santeclaws
08-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Trying to upload pictures... but they're too large.. finding alternative!

Here!

This is the worm out of a gill, or flesh, can't quite tell right above the pectoral fin. whitish but almost transparent
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9231/dsc00353i.jpg
The tank, just redone
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5135/dsc00348to.jpg
The best looking discus out of the 4
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7161/dsc00355s.jpg

jimg
08-03-2012, 07:19 PM
I would say the worm coming out of the gill is mucous from irritation. sounds like you have a problem with water, parasites or bacterial. switching fish and tanks is just stressing them more. I would get them in a bare good size hospital tank and clean them up. try to get better info on what has been going on like what happened before the others died. water and parasites can give the same symptoms as you are stating. prazi pro will do nothing in 2 days, maybe not even in 2 weeks imo! get them in clean stable conditioned water, lower temp to 84 add only airstone and treat with quick cure doing 90% wc 1 or 2x a day and lets see how that goes. no filter.

santeclaws
08-03-2012, 07:25 PM
The issue is.... i think my 10G hospital may be too small for them now.. before when they were like 2.5-3, it was okay but they're like 3.5-4 now...

jimg
08-03-2012, 07:42 PM
yes 10g is no good. i would get a 29g maybe a 20 if you can change water 2x a day.
if they have flukes and you are able to clean them, you will re infest them putting them back in that planted tank. so your choice would be empty that tank including filters and treat everything and restart bio with new filter media or leave the tank as is remove the plants and gravel and treat and hope for the best. Since I am only guessing what they may have i would opt to get another tank, qc and good water and see, maybe they don't have flukes and no reason to wipeout the tank. do the simplest first. good to spend the $ and have a hospital tank anyway.

Skip
08-03-2012, 07:43 PM
what WERE you water changing??

santeclaws
08-03-2012, 10:00 PM
I was doing like once every other day or every two days just because of my busy schedule, but its summer so free all day everyday (:. Ill put them into a 40G water storage bin for now.. and change that water every day or 2x a day.. see what happens (:. Any suggestions for feeding? they dont seem to be eating much at the moment.. I think atleast 2/4 that died were from slimming down.. these ones still look plump though... occassional poopies everywhere