PDA

View Full Version : option on what i should do

flexo248
08-03-2012, 01:56 PM
i have 8 discus juv well 4 of them is already 4+ in and 1 3.5 and 3 2.5-2.8
it is all solid color....i change my mind on the all solid color for my tank and would like to get blue snake skin and golden lollipop from Kenny 2 each

plan is go sell the 4 smaller discus and replaement it with the BSS and GL

i know my tank is small but i am going to upgrade it to at least a 75G up to 110G.....but that will not happen for another year.....i have a new born on the way in OCT so i will not have time to take care of the bigger tank

option 1 - sell the 4 small one keep 4 so the tank is not pack and wait a year for the 75-110 set up then get the fish

option 2 - sell the 4 small buy new fish and have all the fish want now and have the fish wait a year for a bigger home.....

let me know

thanks

DiscusDrew
08-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I dont know how big your tank is currently?

flexo248
08-04-2012, 09:42 PM
current tank 45G

Jdizon20
08-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Option 1

DiscusPunk
08-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Option 1 sounds better for the fish. In a years time a discus can grow quite a bit and all 8 discus won't have much swim room. i don't know if anyone else feels that it's feasible but I'd be cautious of so many fish in that size tank. Better to wait the year I'd say.

DiscusDrew
08-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Yep, a year is simply too long, a "growout" tank which would be acceptable is historically only used for about 4-6 months, which is long enough for a fish to become a sub-adult, at that point they should be moved to a more permanent home generally speaking. Your "permanent home" wont be ready until far after it becomes necessary for the health of the discus.

flexo248
08-04-2012, 10:56 PM
thanks for the advise.....i will do option one.....i just hate to pay shipping with i order from Kennys......... i hope he will have golden lilpop and blue snake at the same time next year...heheeh

DiscusDrew
08-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Your going to pay for shipping in essence no matter what... If you've ever worked in sales you start to realize after a while that your margin on a product is just that, your margin on a product, and your bottom line is your bottom line... Meaning whether you order 10 fish at 50 bucks a piece and get free shipping, or you order 10 fish at 40 bucks a piece and pay 100 dollars for shipping, the end result is the same, you pay 500 dollars. Its all marketing my friend and a game of margin and in the end its just a part of the getting your fish. Its all how you choose to look at it, and I think most of us would be willing to pay a 100 dollar premium to get quality fish with great customer service and confidence in what you are buying. Plus if you do it this way you have a whole year to save and actually plan to get exactly what you want. I've found patience is part of this hobby and its worth the extra time and money to do it right. I'm sure even 10 years from now you will still see attempts at "yellow" discus and there will surely be plenty of snakeskins around as well :)