PDA

View Full Version : otto's with discus, plz confirm!

las51
08-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started darting and scrathing/

since the tanks been up

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

darting and rubbing against plants

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

none no sign of dease

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

45 gal/ up for a year/ 2.5 inch 6 of them-discus/5 ottos

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50% twice a week / 1 year/ plant substrate/ r/o deiornized water i make

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____82.5

- ph _____6.4

- ammonia reading ____zero

- nitrite reading ____zero

- nitrate reading ____zero

- well water ____

- municipal water ____yes but runned thru a 4 stage r/o unit then treated

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

the 6 discus had 2 adults but traded them away

i just read that ottos like discus slime coat can some one confirm this for me because my tank is perfect im on top of every thing and know how to do it from water changes to making my own water to testing every water i use or thats in my tank i twice a week test for every thing from kh to phosphates andso one that y i cant understand y my fish are darting but i think i found out it has to be the ottos i whould apprecate if some one can confirm what i read that the ottos take the slime coat off i just took them out and already i see my fish moving more .

Elliots
08-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I think some Ottos eat the slime and some don't. You have to watch. That appears to be the opinion on SD.

discuspaul
08-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Yes, Elliots is correct about that.
Have you noticed any of those Otos constantly following, approaching, and trying to attach themselves to your discus ?

But quite apart from that, I don't think that has anything to do with your young discus darting & rubbing against plants.
Sounds like it could be an internal parasitic problem - how long have you had them ? Where did you get them - what is your source for these fish ?

cjr8420
08-05-2012, 08:43 PM
there is a simply search in the top right search ottos read .u will see both yes's and no's then make ur own decision is best advice i can give u

discuspaul
08-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I see that you now have 2 threads going on this subject - the other being titled 'rubbing against plants', which has several more posts.
I would suggest it would be best for you to stick to providing answers to questions and listening to advice only on one, the other thread, to avoid any confusion or misdirection.