PDA

View Full Version : My posts deleted without telling me? No discussion, debate?

Harry Marsh
08-07-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't like it.

I don't live in China.

Who did it, and why?
Is this normal on Simply Discus? Must I take everything I read with a grain of salt?
Are there mods that don't discuss these things with members? Agendas I don't know about?

Discussion here.

-_-

a volar
08-07-2012, 08:53 PM
really? what was in your post?

Harry Marsh
08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
A few of them in different threads regarding a particular topic. Lets put it that way.....

No messages to me and my posts completely gone. No notice, no warning, no discussion.
I do not think I was out of line (or other posters would have mentioned as such)

Not cool.
I don't think the threads make sense, at this point....without my comments.
Someone reading that thread will draw an erroneous conclusion from its content

Again, not cool.
I'm glaring left and right.

Do the mods delete posts that they don't like?
Are sponsors protected? Negative opinions deleted?

.......big can of worms potentially opened in my mind

Orange Crush
08-07-2012, 09:20 PM
If it was in a product review section all posts that are not of first hand experience with that specific person/company will be deleted. If it was not in that section then I would send an administrator a PM asking why this happened to you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

dprais1
08-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I don't know what was deleted but there is nothing more annoying than reading a thread with missing posts because it makes the thread impossible to follow. It would not be so bad if the post was replaced by a simple "Post Number __ Deleted Due to __________" but instead it just disappears and the numbers of the posts are reconfigured.

I would contact Al directly.

a volar
08-07-2012, 09:28 PM
WHAT????????

hey Harry I just saw your post saying "not a product review" and now is not here........

Harry Marsh
08-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't know what was deleted but there is nothing more annoying than reading a thread with missing posts because it makes the thread impossible to follow. It would not be so bad if the post was replaced by a simple "Post Number __ Deleted Due to __________" but instead it just disappears and the numbers of the posts are reconfigured.

I would contact Al directly.

...not a product review (volar, I edited the post)

I completely agree, dprais1...which is the only reason I raise the issue (and start a headache)
For every poster on this website, we have 20 or 40 lurkers. Maybe more
Everyone reading that thread will come to the complete opposite conclusion of (what i would argue) reality, because my posts were deleted.

Nothing was personal. I don't see any reason my posts were deleted.
I will admit that my posts did not agree with the poster. But, isn't that the point of these forums? To educate and enhance the hobby?

I can't help but wonder what other bits of information are deleted...and what other debate is curbed.

Is Al the only person with authority to delete posts?

I will come out and say that the posts regarded user 'silver'
He fed beef heart to his fry. I thought this might not be a good idea (he did not have time to feed baby brine shrimp)
His fry ended up dying. I would guess/think/surmise that baby brine shrimp should have been fed.

If you read the thread, it appears that the beef heart succeeded in raising his fry and that he was having great success in feeding beef heart to those fry.
In reality, the fry died. Noone knows that with my posts deleted. Lurkers are going to read that thread and try feeding beef heart.

It makes me wonder what other threads I'm reading where negative opinions, disagreements and otherwise are deleted.

This forum is often so PG that it makes me vomit. Without challenge to the establishments, there can be no progress.

Some of my posts deleted here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?95111-Raising-fry-without-artemia&p=911087#post911087
Where Silver seems to say he had success in feeding beef heart instead of Artemia.
Without my posts, someone reading that thread will try feeding beef heart instead of Artemia.
I don't see why this debate was moderated.

yim11
08-07-2012, 09:44 PM
In your contest forum area do you have any extra thread mod privileges like a homesteader does? If so, perhaps Silver edited the thread? Other than that, would need Al or a mod to delete as far as I'm aware...

strawberryblonde
08-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Are you sure you don't mean this thread Harry? http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97646-Arturo-s-Contest-Fish&p=913688#post913688

Harry Marsh
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
In your contest forum area do you have any extra thread mod privileges like a homesteader does? If so, perhaps Silver edited the thread? Other than that, would need Al or a mod to delete as far as I'm aware...
Quite possible, but posts deleted out of multiple categories

Are you sure you don't mean this thread Harry? http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97646-Arturo-s-Contest-Fish&p=913688#post913688

I mean, both. Posts deleted out of that thread as well

And frankly, I don't care if I'm wrong or he's wrong
But I see no reason to censor the debate (shouldn't we encourage it?)

If Silver were to document such a thing, it would be incredibly valuable to the hobby.
Regardless, it's valuable if we show it as a failure

Vomit. Boring.

dprais1
08-07-2012, 10:00 PM
And frankly, I don't care if I'm wrong or he's wrong
But I see no reason to censor the debate (shouldn't we encourage it?)

If Silver were to document such a thing, it would be incredibly valuable to the hobby.
Regardless, it's valuable if we show it as a failure

Oh my goodness. Nail on the head. This forum is just a reference if we all do the same things we get the same results. It's those that try something different and succeed or fail that cause the hobby to improve. Or we'd still be feeding our fish Alpo and tubifex worms.

yim11
08-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Quite possible, but posts deleted out of multiple categories

Your statement reminded me of how many other mods there are here - NADA has a couple of officers that have edit/delete ability for our forum area, as mentioned the homesteaders do as well, and obviously sponsors have that ability for their respective areas. Not sure how the contest forums are setup but y'all may have that ability as well. So I guess it really depends on what forum areas things were deleted in to determine who might have moderated it.

LizStreithorst
08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Same thing happened to me. I got mad and raised hell on the open fourm, just like you. The mod who deleted my post PM'd me. We ended up liking one another. I agree that it's rude for a moderator to delete a post without giving an explaination.

Skip
08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
If its his thread.. He can mod it

strawberryblonde
08-07-2012, 10:12 PM
If its his thread.. He can mod it

+1

I checked out his contest area and it says "Moderators of this Forum Silver"

Might be a good idea to take this up with him in PM at this point if you want to work it out.

TNT77
08-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Should we be able to edit contest forums though? Changing of certain information on raising batches is misleading correct?

Skip
08-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Should we be able to edit contest forums though? Changing of certain information on raising batches is misleading correct?

sure.. if some numnuts post dribble.. i want to clean it up..

if i want to edit my page and add some things.. for documentation...

not sure how it would be misleading.. or why they would do that.. but .. not me... maybe you might TARA ;) ;)

Skip
08-07-2012, 10:20 PM
+1

I checked out his contest area and it says "Moderators of this Forum Silver"

Might be a good idea to take this up with him in PM at this point if you want to work it out.

yep.. i edit my homestead.. :)

i meant.. I DELETE!!!! what i want :)

Chicago Discus
08-07-2012, 10:20 PM

I agree I think a little debate is important......Josie

cjr8420
08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
most of the time i have been modded by SD i got a PM telling me why.but cry all u want SD is a private owned forum so it can be china sometimes deal with it or leave has been how i took it.

Skip
08-07-2012, 10:23 PM
I agree I think a little debate is important......Josie

debate is good.. But ..if it is a contest thread.. then no.. take it to general discussion.. the CONTEST threads should really be used to just keep progress.. not filled with "DEBATE".. thats my opinion and i approve this post.. :):)
at least.. this is what i will do in my thread.. who ever has their thread.. can do as they see fit

TNT77
08-07-2012, 10:26 PM
sure.. if some numnuts post dribble.. i want to clean it up..

if i want to edit my page and add some things.. for documentation...

not sure how it would be misleading.. or why they would do that.. but .. not me... maybe you might TARA ;) ;)
If you want to add things just add another post. Its the changing of posts after a certain time or removing posts that would be informational to others shouldn't be allowed. jmo And if there are posts that seem controversial I'm sure a forum moderator would remove them correct.

LizStreithorst
08-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Excellent point.

most of the time i have been modded by SD i got a PM telling me why.but cry all u want SD is a private owned forum so it can be china sometimes deal with it or leave has been how i took it.

Skip
08-07-2012, 10:28 PM
If you want to add things just add another post. Its the changing of posts after a certain time or removing posts that would be informational to others shouldn't be allowed. jmo And if there are posts that seem controversial I'm sure a forum moderator would remove them correct.

i am only speaking of MOD of Thread.. one has control over ie: homestead.. Contest threads.. etc..

i have had posts deleted.. and the MODs have always let me know.. so its up to them.. how they do it.... i am sure they MOD alot we don't see.. LOL!

TNT77
08-07-2012, 10:33 PM
i am only speaking of MOD of Thread.. one has control over ie: homestead.. Contest threads.. etc..

i have had posts deleted.. and the MODs have always let me know.. so its up to them.. how they do it.... i am sure they MOD alot we don't see.. LOL!
Homestead and contest threads are two different things..one is a paid for area...the other a contest. When you enter a contest that documents a period of time you should not be able to change or edit the documentation.

Chicago Discus
08-07-2012, 10:36 PM
IMO as long as people are not being rude, judgmental or personal I think a little debate is ok as long as its in their own first hand experience. I don't like when people start making comments about stuff they have no knowledge or business talking about. But on the other hand when its a homesteader page thats very personal to the owner and they pay for the right to moderate those threads. As far as the contest goes we can moderate the posts in that section but I would never delete a post there unless it was SPAM I let people make their own minds up. Hey if someones got a better way to do something Im all for it post away.....Just saying....Josie :) :)

Larry Bugg
08-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm with Tara. Contest threads should only be modded by a real mod IMO.

nwehrman
08-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Moderation in everything is the key.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Perkins
08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Al did say up front that each contestant would be a moderator in their contest area. It's a drag though that this controversy has arisen.

yim11
08-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Al did say up front that each contestant would be a moderator in their contest area. It's a drag though that this controversy has arisen.

Based on that, since Silvers fish died about 3 weeks ago if he had been removed from the contest then he wouldn't have had the ability to edit the [archived?] posts and none of this would have had ever happened.

Right?

LOL

Keith Perkins
08-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I'd say that's true Jim, but then again you have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. "If", quite the little word.

DiscusDrew
08-08-2012, 01:25 AM
I think we all know homesteaders and challengers and sponsors all have mod abilities in their respective sites... As far as the challenger area perhaps that should be changed for the very reason discussed. I understand why we have the ability, to add or remove batches of fry and stuff, but perhaps we should have to send a pm if we desire to do so, otherwise we are stealing away the beauty of the project if people choose to edit and delete to their liking... Its supposed to be a learning experience.... As for outside of those sections... There are some mods that I unfortunately feel should not have said abilities, i've had posts deleted that I think many felt should not have been, and many others in the same boat I think. Hopefully eventually something changes with this, at the very least a pm should be sent and an explanation made about why it was deleted, at least then you can make an argument for what was said.

Ohhh and just fyi, mods do have the option to soft delete so it says a post was deleted i'm pretty sure.

nc0gnet0
08-08-2012, 01:52 AM
I actually think even though Arturo's fish had died, it was Al's intent to leave all success's and failures as is for documentation. Being such, I am sure Arturo still had moderation privledges in his contest thread, even though he was no longer an active participant. Being as such, your issue doesn't lie with the forum or its mods, but with Arturo himself.

Rick

pcsb23
08-08-2012, 04:43 AM
I have closed this thread.

For the record, the moderating team are NOT required to contact any member as and when they feel it is necessary to moderate a thread or post. Please remember that the team give their time freely to help run this place.

It is more helpful for the forum if members pm either me, Al or any member of the team if they feel a thread or post has been moderated incorrectly, this will give us the opportunity to resolve any issues. I have given an explanation via pm to the OP of what has happened with his posts.

brewmaster15
08-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Thank you Paul for your post and explaination. I will also add this to it.

It never ceases to amaze me how quick some members are here to criricize this forum on one hand yet take all it gives you freely for granted. If a post was moderated a member should look at themselves first and ask themselves what they did wrong...not attack or criticize Simply. Regardless of what some here think....We do not enjoy babysitting a member that cannot follow a simple set of rules and code of conduct we have in place here. I also find it hypocritical that a member feels they should be given the courtesy of being told when their post is moderated,yet they do not afford the owner and his staff the same courtesy when an issue arises as to contact them and discuss it privately.

Listen up folks, I have no idea who the heck some think they are...but I remind you all that you are guests here in my home.. act like it or leave. I am royally sick of people taking this forum for granted.
on many levels.Heres a heads up...Don't.
regards,
Al....the guy that brings you this forum for free to use and share your discus passions in.Should anyone ever want to discuss something I am always availible....but should you want to slam me,my mods,my rules,or my forum....do me a favor...find a new home.This forum has no need for you.