PDA

View Full Version : Potential Hobbyist Challenge Batch & BBS Hatchery Question (see video!)

Tobrienne
08-08-2012, 10:53 AM
As of 10pm on Aug 7th 2012 my pair laid this batch in their, finally, completely ready BB breeding tank!

This is the first time they have laid them on the side of the glass. I believe they did it because this tank is papered with white paper on the bottom and both sides of the tank. The back of the tank is against a white wall and the front is viewable by all. The only real place they have to 'guard' so I think they feel good and secure.

Essentially the tank is completely BB, has a good size sponge filter, a HOB filter, a lump of driftwood which I may or may not take out. They do enjoy attaching the wigglers to it. I WILL have to reduce the tank size with a mesh fence. I have seen this suggested in other posts but if someone could give me the exact recipe here that would be greatly appreciated. I have a 40g tank. I will have to divide some of it so the free swimmers dont get lost and I will also lower the tank water a little bit when they are nearing free swimmer stage.

I am also having frustrations with my BBs hatchery. Please see my video and comment on anything you think I should change :)

http://youtu.be/3DaZmywcigU

fredfry
08-08-2012, 11:04 AM
I have had good success with putting an air stone on and dropping it in the bottle from the top and getting it into the cap as far as you can. You pretty much want the water to boil and keep all eggs moving and suspended. Hope this helps you.

Fred

Tobrienne
08-08-2012, 11:07 AM
During 'aeration' the eggs are keep on the move constantly. It is when I shut it off and let it sit for the 10 minutes that the dead eggs settle on the sides and then drop into my sifter when harvesting the bbs. :(

Tobrienne
08-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I wanted to add this:

http://youtu.be/6t_GpUwSVBQ

This is what I used to harvest the bbs when they are ready :)

fredfry
08-08-2012, 11:28 AM
I use a turkey baster to suck the live shrimp from the hatchery, being careful not to get the unhatched eggs or shell casings. Then I suspend a paper towel over a glass and gently squirt the shrimp onto it to separate them from the water.

Fred

dpete9
08-08-2012, 11:32 AM
do you have a large amount of unhatched eggs?
Mine usually take about 26-27 hours to hatch.. not very convenient right?

fredfry
08-08-2012, 11:34 AM
The higher the temperature the faster they will hatch.

Fred

Tobrienne
08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Hey Fred, thanks for the tips. I used to do that. In fact I used to do this:

Filled a large vase with tank water, added salt and eggs. Placed everything under a lamp that produced a lot of heat. Added the airstone.. after 24-30 hours turned it off. Then where all the bbs were loitering I took them out with a turkey baster and filtered them with the item fro my second video. It's amazing and has never let one bbs slip thru :)

I'm beginning to think that no matter what avenue I go down nothing is going to be perfect. I will either lose some of the precious bbs or I will get some eggs in the mix. LOL But if people could post a video of their hatcheries so I can see what you do what is all involved I could learn a lot by it :D

fredfry
08-08-2012, 11:45 AM
There is quite a bunch on utube about this, you may find something better there. Good luck.

Fred

Tobrienne
08-08-2012, 11:57 AM
There is quite a bunch on utube about this, you may find something better there. Good luck.

Fred

LOL where do you think I got my ideas so far? ;-)

I've been doing so so so much research on all of this. I'm taking a break.. me and kids are sick lol :P

fredfry
08-08-2012, 12:12 PM
I commend you for striving for perfection. I don't think anyone has found a sure proof method.
Fred

nc0gnet0
08-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I usually filter my eggs through a coffee basket like this:

http://www.target.com/p/universal-replacement-8-to-12-cup-replacement-coffee-filter-basket-black-gold/-/A-10642736?ref=tgt_adv_XSC10001&AFID=shopping_df&LNM=|10642736&CPNG=appliances&ci_src=13736960&ci_sku=10642736&

I think your better off suspending your 2 liter bottles in another tank half filled with water and kept at 80-84 degrees (the warmer the tank, the faster the hatch).

Where are you getting your eggs from? The small tubes you get at the LFS are typically junk, better off getting some good eggs from Brine Shrimp direct.

A few eggshells won't hurt anything IME, just try to get as much out as possible.

Tobrienne
08-08-2012, 01:54 PM
I think your better off suspending your 2 liter bottles in another tank half filled with water and kept at 80-84 degrees (the warmer the tank, the faster the hatch).

Where are you getting your eggs from?

Ya they are from the LFS because it's local and I dont have to wait or pay for shipping. I just have the one pair so the amount I do get from these eggs is decent. But I have been considering getting some from BSD.

I will have to look into getting another tank for that then.. I am also looking into getting a couple more discus for my collection :) My lfs just got some beautiful blue diamonds in :D

dpete9
08-08-2012, 03:06 PM
i siphon mine in to quart jar which i pull a nylon over in a convex way (not over tight) .. then as they are siphoning out through the hose i twist the hose around the sides of the nylon material.. the heavier shrimp usually drop to the lower part and the egg shells stick to the upper part. then I just take my finger on the other side of the nylon and plop the whole thing in the water with the babies my (finger still holding it) and only in the water to the level before the shells.. its really hard to explain.. but we all do things a little different and that's the way I do it.

Tobrienne
08-08-2012, 04:36 PM
I wont even begin to pretend I understood any of that lol... are you able to do a youtube video to show us?

Tobrienne
08-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Twenty (20) hours after spawn.. a couple eggs are white the rest are a reddish colour. Mom is keeping close eye on them and fanning away. I am considering doing a WC considering they are on the far left of the tank and I could do one on the far right without bothering them too much. Will do it after my 2 year old twins go to bed.

Here is a video, obviously no action from the eggs yet.

http://youtu.be/McvVw281C5E

I am going to try and keep as good a log on these as I can. I have high hopes for this attempt!

So far:
Spawned on Aug 7 at 10pm
Still fanning at 6pm on Aug 8...

Good amount of eggs there! I'm crossing my fingers!

Crystalwaters
08-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I have hatched bbs shrimp, and found the same thing, tough to get egg free. A betta breeder I know suggested decapsulating the eggs. Here is a link to her web page, if you're interested in trying it. http://www.crazy4bettas.ca/info-decap-BBS.php.

Grats for the spawn, best of luck :D

Bill63SG
08-08-2012, 07:32 PM
I dont even bother.After I turn off the airstone and they seperate,I suck'em up with a turkey baster and squirt them into the tank.

Tobrienne
08-08-2012, 10:46 PM
So I consolidated my tanks today! Put my Boesemani Rainbows from their 30g tank into a 20g tank. I put the 10 or so 3 day old fry into a betta container (also Rainbows) with an airstone on gentle.

Which means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the discus pair and their eggs in the 40g tank and when it comes time to separate then the parents will be moved into the 30g (soon to be BB) tank for a little R&R.
The fry will be allowed to grow out in the 40g tank.

I have 4 tanks in total equalling 110gallons in total (30g, 20g, 20g, 40g)

My plan is to put a little money together and get myself a huge tank, looking at maybe 100+ gallons, I will replace the 4 tanks in my living room with the huge tank and just make it a show tank. I plan to stock it with all two different types of discus.. red velvets and blue diamonds (thats my decision... for now lol) and once they start pairing up I will have the 4 tanks on standby in my spare bedroom (will be graduating to my "fish room") for breeding purposes.

Ooooohhh the insanity!