PDA

View Full Version : PH Question

Kal-El
08-08-2012, 05:23 PM
So I move to a new place last month but didn't get a chance to test my water until recently. My test puzzle me so I thought I share this as I'm sure I'm not the first. PH out of tap water is 7.0 while after aerating and aging my water for 24 hours the PH goes up and stabilize at 8.0. Is this normal? My fish doesn't show any sign of stress and seems to love the new water condition they are in now. I wonder if my water company add buffer to the water. Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Also I wanted to see if anyone does this method of aging water. I've been testing this method of aging my water without adding Prime for a week now so I don't have to keep cleaning the slime that Primes add off the air tube line and age tank every week or two. So far without prime my age tank water is clearer and no slime buildup. I do add prime to the fish tank then fill it with the age water. No issue with my fish by doing this method. Anyone do this?

Orange Crush
08-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Sounds like you have a fair amount of CO2 in that water which is why the pH goes up after aerating/aging it - the CO2 gases off. I would definatly age your water because of this.
CO2 +H2O = H2CO3 which is carbonic acid. so when the CO2 escapes after aging there is less acidic compounds in the water and the pH goes up.

Kal-El
08-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Sounds like you have a fair amount of CO2 in that water which is why the pH goes up after aerating/aging it - the CO2 gases off. I would definatly age your water because of this.
CO2 +H2O = H2CO3 which is carbonic acid. so when the CO2 escapes after aging there is less acidic compounds in the water and the pH goes up.

Thanks, this clears things up.