PDA

View Full Version : advices to grow discus to full potential

Eti
08-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Guys,

Here is the situation.
I have a 55G planted tank with 5 discus inside.
They are between 2 to 5 inches and are all stunted. I have a nice couple laying eggs but obviously eat their fry all the time.
I am going to move out and now i really want to grow discus to their full potential.

What would you recommand?

1. Keep the couple in a new 20G BB tank laying eggs? But will I be able to raise the fry to their full potential in a 20G?
2. Empty the 55G tank and just leave the couple inside? But i dont really want to get rid of the other discus...

Let me know what would you guys do to finally have fully grown out discus, thanks for your help!

Kal-El
08-10-2012, 01:18 PM
If it were me I would do the following.

-Put the pair in the 20gal.
-Get 6 juvies and grow them out in the 55gal
-Daily 100% water change using age water if needed
-Feed 4-6 times a day. Schedule would be as follow: 7am Beef Hearts Mix, 10am FDBW, 1pm Tetra Bits or choice of flake food, 4pm Beef Hear Mix, & 7pm FDBW, last feeding is done if I haven't clean the tank yet with a snack Blood worms.

This should grow them very good. At least mines are growing well following this method. Average 1" a month of growth from Quarter size. Hope this helps.

Eti
08-10-2012, 01:39 PM
thank you so much, you answered my question.
So i guess I am gonna have to get rid of my plants and stuff to turn my 55G into a BB right?

Kal-El
08-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Yes BB is the best way to go.

cjr8420
08-10-2012, 10:09 PM
What would you recommand?

1. Keep the couple in a new 20G BB tank laying eggs? But will I be able to raise the fry to their full potential in a 20G?
2. Empty the 55G tank and just leave the couple inside? But i dont really want to get rid of the other discus...

Let me know what would you guys do to finally have fully grown out discus, thanks for your help!
none of the above
best bet ditch all fish get proven pair or keep ur pair if proven put in 20 BB then if/when u get fry grow in the 55 BB.thats working with what u got.u didnt really mention any real plans as far as what u want to do grow a whole spawn,grow multiple spawns ,sell some .just growing out a group of ten juvies.need more info

dprais1
08-11-2012, 01:45 AM
A lot depends how you feel about the fish you have. If you are attached to your fish then don't flush them

Are you asking how to grow out NEW fish to their max or improve your CURRENT stock to the max they can be?

Eti
08-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks for your answers guys.
I am not too attached to the other discus, I would not mind just keeping the pair.
My goal is to grow as many babies as possible to their full potential in the BB 55g.
My question is :How many of the fry can I keep, how do I choose them and how long should I wait to take off the other fry to grow the "chosen" one to their full potential..?
Thanks!

Chicago Discus
08-11-2012, 09:09 AM
That's my boys ......Josie (Dpraise1+kalelhawj) well said