PDA

View Full Version : Is my tank Complete it cycle?

4discusdude
08-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Hello, don't know is my Tank complete it cycle or not. I didn't really keep track of cycle time line but I know it more then a month already. Ok, ammonia it zero after 24hrs when I add pure ammonia. So I test nitrate, each drop of nitrate test it start really purple and then I shake it, it start to going to zero nitrate. I have 50 ppm or more on nitrite. So does it complete?
Here is another question. I start two 20h gallon fish less cycle in same day. They both have the same brand new equipment, and the above question it one of them. The other tank just start to have nitrate spike today. So why one tank almost complete or complete, but the other not?
Thank you

DiscusPunk
08-11-2012, 12:30 PM
You should have 0 ppm in all categories. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, and as close to 0 nitrates as you can get, a little nitrAte isn't too bad, a lot is. NitrIte, which you said is 50 ppm is waaaay too high. If you put fish in there wih it that high, you'll probably kill them. NitrIte bonds to the blood in the fish and makes it difficult for them to breath. It's like you sitting in a house with high carbon monoxide concentrations and expecting to breath comfortably. Water changes will help bring it down. I add Tropical Science Nitromax to get the beneficial bacteria colonies numbers up so ammonia and nitrIte aren't ever a problem.

4discusdude
08-11-2012, 12:42 PM
I use the fishless cycle method, so I will do a 100% wc before I add the fish. But my question is that does complete it fishless cycle yet? 0 ammonia, nitrate drop test is really high and goes back down to 0, and I have nitrite 50 ppm or above. I thought if you have nitrite, it mean it complete? Or should I wait until I test nitrite that stay at 0 when I add the drop? Thank you

4discusdude
08-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Oops sorry, I mean nitrite drop test it purple and going back to zero. And nitrate it 50 ppm or above.

DiscusPunk
08-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Oooh ok. Yeah those 2 are easily confused. Capitalizing the "I" in nitrIte and the "A" in nitrAte helps, noticed other people in the forum do it so I do to now to avoid confusion. Yeah once your left with nitrAte, the cycle should be complete. Yeah just change some water to reduce nitrates and you should be good. I've never used drop I have dip sticks and just bought a pinpoint ph system.

Lenin
08-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Do a big water change and you should be ready

4discusdude
08-11-2012, 01:54 PM
So it complete, thank you a lot, and sorry for the confuse. But how about the other question? Two tank running at the same time and everything it the same but why one tank it complete but the other just start to have nitrite spike?

DiscusDrew
08-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Yeah I figured you had those backwards lol, zero ammonia and zero nitrites means good to go, do 100% water change and just add fish, its like an insta-tank lol.... That took a month to make of course lol.