PDA

View Full Version : After months... WRIGGLERS...aka WIGGLIES

sammy
08-12-2012, 09:07 AM
I initially got into discus as a stress reliever. Through all the sickness mostly caused by my lack of experience its proven to be far from a relief. Be it ats it may, this board has helped me through alot and thank you.
FINALLY after months of trying my pair got to wiggler stage...and last night I saw one free swimming...but I think the father ate him. They spawned on slate and it appeared that either both parents were eating them after wiggling areound for 2 days or moving them to the back side of the slate. I can't see behind it so i'm not sure. Then I saw one free swimming and now I dont. Is it safe to assume that if they don't find the parents today then they are already gone? I have read that the father will eat the little guys...even as free swimmers? Does the mother eat them too?

Larry Bugg
08-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Most of the time it is the male that is the better parent. Eating eggs, wigglers or freeswimmers in the begining with a new pair is not unusual. Keep in mind though that when wigglers first try to go free swimming the parents will suck them into their mouth and then spit them back onto the slate. That may or may not be what is happening with yours.

sammy
08-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't understand...I just got home hoping to see free swimmers and instead the parents aid another clutch of eggs????

Larry Bugg
08-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Again this is not unusual behavior. It takes a while for new parents to figure out what they are doing. It takes a lot of patience at this point.

John_Nicholson
02-22-2013, 10:57 AM
How did I miss this thread? Yes Larry is 100% correct.

-john

lipadj46
02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't understand...I just got home hoping to see free swimmers and instead the parents aid another clutch of eggs????

You've been here for a year and have not seen the dozens of "my pair ate the eggs" threads? Search through the threads and you will see that young pairs are kind of on turbo boost when it comes to breeding (not unlike teenagers and college kids). If a young female has more eggs coming the last batch will be dinner.