PDA

View Full Version : Raw Shrimp for Cycling???

Coffee1stLife2nd
08-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi All, just set up a 180, I was going to use a sponge and filter from another tank and then thought NOO because there are snails in that tank and i would hate for 1 of those little buggers to get in the new tank. anyways i know allot of folks like to do the Ammonia method of cycling but honestly that makes me a little nervous. Ive looked around this forum and cant seem to find anything on using Raw Shrimp. I think I would like to go with that method but in need of a little more info. If any1 could give me some advice that would be great.. Thanks Tina

YSS
08-13-2012, 11:21 AM
That's the preferred method of cycling for reefers. I don't see why this wouldn't work for FW tanks.

Orange Crush
08-13-2012, 05:31 PM
There is the potential for exposing the tank to bacteria from using raw shrimp or other forms of raw weafood/meat which negates the point of doing a fishless cycle but it does work.
Do not be nervous about using ammonia (ACE hardware has the kind without surfactants etc.), it is really easy.

Orange Crush
08-13-2012, 05:37 PM
I use extra filters (sponge and AC HOB) in my discus tank so if I ever need to move 1 or more of my discus into another tank for whatever reason (illness, breeding, etc.) I have a seeded filter to add to that tank for instant cycling - I have not had to put a discus into a hospital tank yet but if I do, I have the filter ready to go.
If I were going to get new discus I would do a fishless cycle so I am not exposing them to anything that could potentially make them sick.

lipadj46
08-13-2012, 05:50 PM
rotting meat works but ace ammonia is the way to go, cleaner, controllable, not stinky... You can use the ppm formula to figure out how to get a tank to 3ppm with a 10% ammonium hydroxide quite easily (hint you would need about 4 tsp of ammonia for 180 gallons)

Bill63SG
08-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Take your sponges and freeze the.Kills the snails,most of bacteria still good.Read about it on a thread here.

Coffee1stLife2nd
08-13-2012, 06:17 PM
thanks ... will do more reading i guess...LOL

Keith Perkins
08-13-2012, 07:15 PM
You might just check with whoever you decide to get discus from and see if you can get a couple mature sponge filters from them. Just a thought.