PDA

View Full Version : Water changes?

Woodsy
08-13-2012, 06:37 PM
I've just recently got my first three Discus, didn't take them long to adapt to my conditions and their amazing colours to come out.

Just a question about water changes, my tanks PH is kept at 6.0 with the addition of driftwood for decoration purposes, naturally that's what buffering the PH down. My taps PH is about 6.8-7.0, whenever I do water changes I just dechlorinate straight from the tap. I don't like the fact that my PH slowly rises to 6.3 and then drops down to 6.0 after a while when doing the water change. I couldn't imagine that would be healthy.

What do you all recommend I do?

I've sort of come up with a plan to store 170l of water in a container and age it overnight, I think my PH is 7.2 after aging. What I could do is buy a couple of pieces of driftwood and sit it in the container to get the PH down to 6.0 so that it's the same as my tanks PH for a water change.

Chicago Discus
08-13-2012, 06:48 PM
I've just recently got my first three Discus, didn't take them long to adapt to my conditions and their amazing colours to come out.

Just a question about water changes, my tanks PH is kept at 6.0 with the addition of driftwood for decoration purposes, naturally that's what buffering the PH down. My taps PH is about 6.8-7.0, whenever I do water changes I just dechlorinate straight from the tap. I don't like the fact that my PH slowly rises to 6.3 and then drops down to 6.0 after a while when doing the water change. I couldn't imagine that would be healthy.

What do you all recommend I do?

I've sort of come up with a plan to store 170l of water in a container and age it overnight, I think my PH is 7.2 after aging. What I could do is buy a couple of pieces of driftwood and sit it in the container to get the PH down to 6.0 so that it's the same as my tanks PH for a water change.

You answered your own question just start aging the water don't worry about the driftwood in the aging barrel just use whatever comes out after aging. The PH will be fine just kep it consistent........Josie

strawberryblonde
08-13-2012, 06:49 PM
I think I asked this before, but I'm not sure I ever got the answer. =)

How often do you change water and how much do you change each time?

Moon
08-13-2012, 06:58 PM
If you want to lower ph try peatmoss in your storage tank. But as Josie suggested just add aged water. You'll be fine.

Poco
08-13-2012, 07:50 PM
You might find the answer here

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97422-PH-not-lowering

Poco
08-13-2012, 07:52 PM
I think I asked this before, but I'm not sure I ever got the answer. =)

How often do you change water and how much do you change each time?

Toni, you did ask the question before.

mmorris
08-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Are you sure it's the driftwood lowering it? What's your kh?

shawnhu
08-16-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm with Martha, tour kh must be rock bottom, causing the ph to crash rapidly. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. My ph crashes all the time and they are breeding.

strawberryblonde
08-18-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm in total agreement about the cause of the low pH. It's why I keep asking how often Woodsy changes water. I think he has natually low kh and that the lack of water changes is causing the issue.

But, until he actually answers the question, there's no way to be sure. I have plenty of driftwood in my display tank and don't experience any pH crashes. My pH is always hovering in the 7.8+ range.