PDA

View Full Version : Trichlorfon safe to use with Sterbai Cory's?

Sasha
08-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Curious if it's ok to dose Trichlorfon (anti-fluke live bearer or DeLos) in a tank with Sterbai Cory's?

Sasha
08-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I would appreciate anyone sharing their experience dosing meds into Discus tanks with Sterbai Corys. Many sites indicate that cory cats are not tolerant of many meds, and I'm trying to determine which ones are safe. Your help is appreciated. Thank you!

jimg
08-20-2012, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't.. ime it does little if anything to flukes, but does kill plecos.

DiscusDrew
08-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Ohhh but my experiences with dylox are SO much better Jim! I do agree though that you should not use this medication with cats of any kind. I love this medication in general I will say, experimented with it not too long ago, great results. (Scope included Jim :) ) However, it is critical that this medication be relatively new, stored perfectly, and administered correctly (high temps bad). This medication is very sensitive and if not used and handled correctly losses all of its effectiveness very easily, I'd say this is its biggest downfall.

jimg
08-20-2012, 06:59 PM
I got a new bottle a few years ago, kept it in cool cellar. used it a few different ways as experiments and scoped and saw no reduction in flukes. it did make the fish pale though! Could have been improperly stored before I got it, who knows, but I know others with the same results. my choice with good results is flubendazole with dmso or long term prazi powder.

Sasha
09-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Thank you for your replies. Is flubendazole with dmso or prazi powder safe to use with Sterbai Cory's?

Eddie
09-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Ohhh but my experiences with dylox are SO much better Jim! I do agree though that you should not use this medication with cats of any kind. I love this medication in general I will say, experimented with it not too long ago, great results. (Scope included Jim :) ) However, it is critical that this medication be relatively new, stored perfectly, and administered correctly (high temps bad). This medication is very sensitive and if not used and handled correctly losses all of its effectiveness very easily, I'd say this is its biggest downfall.

+1 on the temp dependent and its effectiveness. It will definitely kill cats, plecos, loaches, etc.

Yes, you can use Prazi powder with cory's

Sasha
09-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Thank you, Eddie.

lipadj46
09-22-2012, 04:07 PM
I have treated my tank with delos and antifluke lifebearer and it did not seem to bother my plecos or black ghost knifefish.

Eddie
09-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I have treated my tank with delos and antifluke lifebearer and it did not seem to bother my plecos or black ghost knifefish.

What temp did you treat at?

lipadj46
09-22-2012, 04:21 PM
I did a 3 week delos treatment at 78F. Then took a 2 week break and then did a 1 week followup treatment. I dosed every day after a complete water change. I thought that took care of the problem but after 3 weeks a gill scraping showed flukes were back. I then turned to flubendazole with DMSO and did a similar length treatment. The DMSO made my tank (and house) smell something fierce and got my wife pretty pissed but I have not had flukes since.

Eddie
09-22-2012, 04:28 PM
I did a 3 week delos treatment at 78F. Then took a 2 week break and then did a 1 week followup treatment. I dosed every day after a complete water change. I thought that took care of the problem but after 3 weeks a gill scraping showed flukes were back. I then turned to flubendazole with DMSO and did a similar length treatment. The DMSO made my tank (and house) smell something fierce and got my wife pretty pissed but I have not had flukes since.

Hmm, thats a lot to put the corys and knifefish through. Do you think you had a bad batch of trichlorfon? I've gotten a bad bottle of life bearer before. I think the cory's/nifefish would have gone for sure.

lipadj46
09-22-2012, 04:37 PM
I think the AFLB was definitely old and probably degraded (since it was discontinued a while ago). The delos was fresh though, bought it from national fish pharmacy and it was fresh then stored in the freezer. I'm not recommending it, but from my experience my plecos (7 sub adult L213) and 1 6" (at the time) BGK made it through fine. From my experiences my go to fluke medication is Fluben and DMSO, be warned though your tank will smell like bigfoot's d!@k for a while.

Eddie
09-22-2012, 04:43 PM
I think the AFLB was definitely old and probably degraded (since it was discontinued a while ago). The delos was fresh though, bought it from national fish pharmacy and it was fresh then stored in the freezer. I'm not recommending it, but from my experience my plecos (7 sub adult L213) and 1 6" (at the time) BGK made it through fine. From my experiences my go to fluke medication is Fluben and DMSO, be warned though your tank will smell like bigfoot's d!@k for a while.

LMAO, yeah....can't have that.