PDA

View Full Version : TDS and PH for breeding

Kldiscusfarm
08-14-2012, 07:29 PM
What is the best water parameters for breeding?
I am currently using a 17 stage water purifying filter, and TDS is between 1-10.
Temperature is 28-29 deg Celsius
Problem is that after eggs hatch, wrigglers are only alive for 24hrs then all fall down and die at the same time,
Anyone know the problem? Please advice

Elliots
08-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Search this site. It could be the TDS is too low or it could be many other things including not enough water changes or water quality- nitrites, nitrates, ammonia.

Kldiscusfarm
08-14-2012, 10:19 PM
thanks

nwehrman
08-14-2012, 10:28 PM
I am currently using a 17 stage water purifying filter, and TDS is between 1-10.
Problem is that after eggs hatch, wrigglers are only alive for 24hrs then all fall down and die at the same time,

Do I read that right a 17 stage purifying filter? Can I get more info?

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kldiscusfarm
08-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Yes its a 17 stage, i purchased a industrial purifying machine which includes stages such as activated carbon, micron filters, uv light, sand

Chicago Discus
08-15-2012, 01:06 AM

Ok lets start from the beginning why do have a 17 stage water purifying system?
what size tank are they in ?
what additives to add to the water?
what is your tap PH? (after aging for at least 12 hours)
what are your cleaning habits ?
what type of discus are you working with?
what country do you live in?
......Josie

Chicago Discus
08-15-2012, 01:06 AM

Ok lets start from the beginning why do have a 17 stage water purifying system?
what size tank are they in ?
what additives to add to the water?
what is your tap PH? (after aging for at least 12 hours)
what are your cleaning habits ?
what type of discus are you working with?
what country do you live in? sorry missed that
......Josie

Elliots
08-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Josie, you posted after midnight and I know you work hard. This OP lives in the Philippines according to their headings. Don't worry, I miss stuff like that all the time on SD.

Kldiscusfarm
08-15-2012, 10:23 AM
It's alright and thank you for the reply.
Breeding tank is 20 gal
Water change is 1 time a day @50%
ph is 7.0
My breeder pairs are wayne ng tiger pigeons, red golden diamond, red cover, giant flora
Water is purified tds1-10, 28-29 deg celcius
Im using a purified machine since i have a water purifying station so im also using water for my discus.

Chicago Discus
08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
It's alright and thank you for the reply.
Breeding tank is 20 gal
Water change is 1 time a day @50%
ph is 7.0
My breeder pairs are wayne ng tiger pigeons, red golden diamond, red cover, giant flora
Water is purified tds1-10, 28-29 deg celcius

Im using a purified machine since i have a water purifying station so im also using water for my discus.

everything looks good the only thing im not sure about is the purifying system your using. the TDS at between 1 to 10 seems a little to low to me IMO try mixing your tap water with your RO water and raise the TDS up a bit. whats in your tap water that you need to use a purifying system?

Kldiscusfarm
08-15-2012, 08:19 PM
everything looks good the only thing im not sure about is the purifying system your using. the TDS at between 1 to 10 seems a little to low to me IMO try mixing your tap water with your RO water and raise the TDS up a bit. whats in your tap water that you need to use a purifying system?
thanks for the reply. our tap water has a tds of 400+, what should be the tds? and how about the ammonia level?

Chicago Discus
08-15-2012, 08:29 PM
well IMO 400+ is pretty high when your trying get a spawn I usually shoot for about 70 to 100 and the ammonia you want as close to zero *** you can get.......Josie

Kldiscusfarm
08-15-2012, 08:31 PM
well IMO 400+ is pretty high when your trying get a spawn I usually shoot for about 70 to 100 and the ammonia you want as close to zero *** you can get.......Josie

Is it possible that the fry all die at the same time after 24hrs, because of the ammonia level? i never check ammonia

DerekFF
08-15-2012, 08:33 PM
400 is high, but 1-10 is to low. Theres near 0 minerals left in that water, the kh/gh is also probably 0 and causing ph swings. And as josie already said anything higher than 0 ammonia is bad

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Kldiscusfarm
08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
400 is high, but 1-10 is to low. Theres near 0 minerals left in that water, the kh/gh is also probably 0 and causing ph swings. And as josie already said anything higher than 0 ammonia is bad

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
how do i fix the kh/gh? what should the reading be?

Chicago Discus
08-15-2012, 08:38 PM
how do i fix the kh/gh? what should the reading be?

Dont worry about KH or GH at this point what Derek was saying is that you need something to buffer your water so you don't get PH swings and make sure that your ammonia levels are close to zero thats it....Josie

Kldiscusfarm
08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Dont worry about KH or GH at this point what Derek was saying is that you need something to buffer your water so you don't get PH swings and make sure that your ammonia levels are close to zero thats it....Josie

so could i just use mineral water instead of purified water, tds around 100-110

nwehrman
08-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Yes - that would work

Nicole

Kldiscusfarm
08-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Yes - that would work

Nicole

thanks! i will try that