PDA

View Full Version : When to step down feeding of fry.

kikkan
08-16-2012, 04:40 PM
When do you guys cut down on the feedings of fry?
I mean, when do you go from feeding 8-10 times a day (like i am now) down to 2-3 times a day?
Some people feed adult discus just once a day, but when can you say that the fish is a adult?

DiscusDrew
08-16-2012, 05:40 PM
I feed 5-6 times a day for about 5 months give or take from the day of free swimming. At one month they are weaned of BBS and onto BH flakes, FDBW, and the like, but I still continue to feed very regularly and do daily water changes until they reach about 4.5-5", then I start cutting back feedings to twice or three times per day and usually my water change schedule changes a bit as well.... Basically I do it when the fish tell me to... Its at the point their growth slows. However I know some who keep feeding heavy longer... I pretty much do adults and fry until they are around two months old then sell them, so I only grow out a select few fish that I keep for future breeding plans, what i'm saying is, i'm not the guy who buys 2.5"fish pretty much ever just to grow them out... Unless I see something I really really must have.