PDA

View Full Version : First tank filter selection

Ruturaj
08-18-2012, 03:03 AM
Hey guys,
I have 210 gallin fish tank (7 L X 2 B X 2.5 H feet tank)
I want to keep discus in it.
I am planning to go for 30 discus junives of 1 inch size (I know I should keep up to 21 only but I read some where that only 2 out of 3 will make out up to full adults)
for accessories I need help
I can purchase 2217 eheim also I can add 4 internal filter with 1500l/h
Which one should I go for or both?
also I am going to add some sponge filters and some air stones too
for heater I am going with eheim 300w which is sufficient
tank is bare bottom

bogia99
08-20-2012, 12:37 PM
For a tank this big, I would keep all the filtering outside for easy of maintenance except for the sponge filters. If money is not an issue, get two large external filtering box and 1 more 300w heater.

Poco
08-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Firstly, 210g tank is way too big for 1inch discus. I don't know about your 2 out of 3 surviving. There are two options either you use a smaller tank or use a divider. I would personally not get that small fish, 2.5-3inch will be better. 4inch will be ideal but will cost a bit more money up front.

As for filteration you can go either with canister or hob (hang on the back). I use aquaclear 110 and it work really well for me and it is very easy to do regular maintenance.

DiscusPunk
08-20-2012, 01:39 PM
It seems that is quite a large tank for growing out 1 inch juvies. I'd recommend a smaller tank until they get larger and them transfer them. How often are you planning on doing water changes?

k7prz
08-21-2012, 10:01 AM
If you have a 200 gal tank and you want to do a 50% water change per
day, where do you age the water? Two 50 gal buckets with an airstone
and heater for both? After growing out the juvies in smaller tanks,
maybe I would put a few adults in the larger tank.
That would make a great show tank. Meanwhile you could
use the 200 gal to age and store warm water for the daily water changes.
Just sayin'

Dave

Ruturaj
08-24-2012, 12:22 AM
For a tank this big, I would keep all the filtering outside for easy of maintenance except for the sponge filters. If money is not an issue, get two large external filtering box and 1 more 300w heater.

Tempreature dosent fall to much here in India. so probably I won't need another heater.
I can't afford two 2217. I will add one 2217 with two internal sponge filters.

Ruturaj
08-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Firstly, 210g tank is way too big for 1inch discus. I don't know about your 2 out of 3 surviving. There are two options either you use a smaller tank or use a divider. I would personally not get that small fish, 2.5-3inch will be better. 4inch will be ideal but will cost a bit more money up front.

As for filteration you can go either with canister or hob (hang on the back). I use aquaclear 110 and it work really well for me and it is very easy to do regular maintenance.

I can use divider. I don't have other tank.
Discus are costly here as size increases. I would try to buy 2 inch at max.

Ruturaj
08-24-2012, 12:25 AM
It seems that is quite a large tank for growing out 1 inch juvies. I'd recommend a smaller tank until they get larger and them transfer them. How often are you planning on doing water changes?

I haven't decided about water change. but may be 20-25% per day.
I can't go more than that.

Ruturaj
08-24-2012, 12:27 AM
If you have a 200 gal tank and you want to do a 50% water change per
day, where do you age the water? Two 50 gal buckets with an airstone
and heater for both? After growing out the juvies in smaller tanks,
maybe I would put a few adults in the larger tank.
That would make a great show tank. Meanwhile you could
use the 200 gal to age and store warm water for the daily water changes.
Just sayin'

Dave

I cant get another tank I would try to get barrel for aging and conditioning water,

Ruturaj
08-24-2012, 12:28 AM
I was approched by local discus breeder he asked me to start raising unit of discus he will provide me money juvinels food info etc
he said I can start with 100 discus.