PDA

View Full Version : Discus Pattern Question.

Oscarsx
08-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Had this guy since he was around 4.5 inches, he very close to 6 now... his pattern really didn't develop all the way as you can see.... so my question is to you discus keepers, any chance this guy will EVER develop his full pattern, and does this cross to his/her fry??

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s382/dominguez122908/2012-08-13_18-43-22_628.jpg

Oscarsx
08-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Any input?

Sent from my DROID X2

santeclaws
08-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Depending if it was just because he scratched himself sometime in his lifetime, or its genetic. Even if its genetic, it may still not pass onto its fry, but sometimes they do depending on the mode of inheritance. If its just a scratch, its just a scratch and will not pass on, as acquired characteristics are not passed on via eggs/sperm.

Discus-n00b
08-18-2012, 09:04 PM
If he is that size I'd say you've seen pretty much all you are going to see out of it pattern wise. The other behind it looks about the same, genetic I'd say...though I don't know how much it would pass to fry.

Altum Nut
08-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Hey Oscar,

Your Discus appear to have reached adult stage. I don't think thier pattern will develop further. It's common in many batches that this will happen and which is why breeders will select for thier own use.
They two in the back look like Red Turks and Blue Turk in the front.
If these were inbred many times, the full straited pattern may not fully develop.
Enjoy them as they look healthy enough.

...Ralph

Oscarsx
08-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Yea it's definitely not a scratch, his/her sibling in the back has the same pattern, my vendor told me it could take up to 2 years to develop the full pattern, I'm hoping thats the case... I just hope it's not passed down to future generations.

Sent from my DROID X2

John_Nicholson
08-18-2012, 10:32 PM
It may develop a little bit more but not enough to be what I would call breeding quality. It appears that you have done a nice job with the fish. The issue is genetic.

-john

Oscarsx
08-18-2012, 10:52 PM
It may develop a little bit more but not enough to be what I would call breeding quality. It appears that you have done a nice job with the fish. The issue is genetic.

-john

Thanks john, If these fish decide to spawn I'll let nature take its course, who knows maybe by some gods miracle their fry would be different, odds are very very slim i assume since they both have an odd pattern... I guess we will find out in the future.

Sent from my DROID X2