PDA

View Full Version : growing out then planted display tanks

mirador
08-19-2012, 02:35 PM
HI

I have read many posts regarding growing out discus in planted tanks. My only thought on that ,after just growing out two groups of discus since last December in bare bottom ranks is : be delusional- try to do it in a any kind of a planted /aquascaped tank.. My second thought and my question is: So when, suddenly ,as young adults, are they OK to put into a display tank. It doesn't look like that is going to happen here. They still eat like kittens,poop like mad and,of course they are bigger now. Another point is that since they are F1 from the wild parents, they seem more nervous than straight domestic discus. Because of that,I split up my pair of blue diamonds and put one in with each group as a baby sitter. That did work fairly well. However,under 'grow out" conditions, the adults ate like pigs and actually grew quite noticeably. It just seems that a planted tank can only work for a bit until it gets older and therefore more organic. By the way ,I also for a time had those blue diamonds in with 50 cardinals and a few sidthimunki loaches in a 180 planted tank. With just the pair in the tank,they needed a water change every 5 days for sure and,of course ,that was a 90 gal change of RO plus reconstituting mix every 5 days minimum. Also by the way,if I switch to more easily obtained tap water from my well, they get head lesions right away that disapear within 48 hours when I go back to prepared water.

For your info