PDA

View Full Version : 75G Growout Max Stocking?

santeclaws
08-20-2012, 03:27 AM
So... After failing with discus once... I decided to smarten up and learn from my mistakes and try again. SO, im buying another 75G tank and all the sponge filters... and was wondering how many 2.5-3.5 inchers I can stuff it with of course assuming daily water changes of 50-75% %and if I get bored... maybe 2. I have an 85G heavily planted tank that i'll put these guys into once they're 5inches or larger. Any input on things I shouldnt forget? So far.. I have

Garbage Can! (aged water)
Crap Ton of Tests (API MasterKit)
Cycled Filters (An AC20 that I can steal media from for another AC110 or something)
2 Sponge Filters
Python ofc
Magdrive 9
4L Prime
Air Pumps x 4
3x 300W Heaters
Thermometer

I'l be buying my discus from Canadian Aqua Farms... as im from Canada, as well as a KG of FDBW! since discus seem to love these things. (Any feedback on Canadian aqua farms? I see they do have a huge selection and most look to be good quality!)

Any suggests or imput on my plans for the future?

dprais1
08-20-2012, 03:45 AM
heater
real thermometer (not those stick on ones)
heater for garbage can
air pump and stone for garbage can
prime or safe

a 5 gal bucket w/ lid. because you never know.

santeclaws
08-20-2012, 04:05 AM
Okay, I have all of those things! LOL whoops, have 3 300W E Series Heaters

Skip
08-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Save the money and jus buy 5" fish instead of new 75g tank

bogia99
08-20-2012, 11:34 AM
8 MAX - based on how many ultimately 5" fishes do you want to keep in a 85G tank (10G/fish ?)

if you are religiously monitoring Ammonia to keep it down low , you can add quite a few more fishes above 8.

I would add an external filter rated at least 100G to your list (Fluval 406 or FX5). You can find a used one on CL.

Second Hand Pat
08-20-2012, 11:39 AM
SUMP. Sump. sump :)

Elliots
08-20-2012, 12:33 PM
I guess I agree with Skip(Warlock). It may not be worth it to buy a tank lust to grow out Discus. To the cost of the tank consider your time.

santeclaws
08-20-2012, 05:51 PM
The thing is, I kinda wanted to breed too. Plus, seeing fish grow is always exciting ! I already have an FX5 on the 85G... Does anyone know how to get a prefilter sponge on the intake? I've been trying to find one with no luck.

Oscarsx
08-20-2012, 06:12 PM
I have buy flat filters pads, cut it to size, wrap it around your intake and slap on a rubber band.. works great for me.. less than $5.00

- Oz

DiscusDrew
08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
If you want to breed.... This is coming from a breeder, don't waste your time growing out fish.... You never know what you will get and if you ARE going to grow out fish to maybe breed eventually it will prove best to do almost all the same fish, or two groups, whatever. There's just no guarantees for success breeding in a grow out situation. Choosing larger fish allows you to choose EXACTLY what you want out of your fry and such.... Idk, I grow out some of MY fry for breeding, and I guess occasionally I'll grab some if I like the lineage. But still, you're best BET at breeding and getting what you want out of it is just buying breeding age fish. And honestly, if you do choose to grow out... I hate to grow out small numbers of fish... WAY more problems in general with runts, bullying, disease, stress, and ultimately getting fish that you WANT to breed is just harder.... I would grow out at LEAST 15 fish in a tank that size. Then sell the ones you don't want... Its an investment but a wiser one, hell in my tanks I'd put close to 30 or more potentially.... For a certain amount of time anyway.

DiscusDrew
08-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Prefilter sponge, I use rubber bands and filter pads sometimes, you can order specific ones through Ken fish or jehmco.

Noslen1003
08-20-2012, 06:29 PM
The thing is, I kinda wanted to breed too. Plus, seeing fish grow is always exciting ! I already have an FX5 on the 85G... Does anyone know how to get a prefilter sponge on the intake? I've been trying to find one with no luck.

Go to Drs Foster & Smith website-filter max III or you can just wrap the intake of your FX5.

ronald sherman
08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
finally a question i think i can answer i was a little confused about a pre-filter as i just also got a set-up without stocking a 75 gallon i have a fluval 306, and a cascade 700 for the pre-filter i bought a eheim 4004320 which is a pr-filter that attaches too the in-take house but they are a bit pricey at 30.00 got mine on e-bay

santeclaws
08-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Upon reading for a bit.. I feel like I didn't define my goals well enough. Yes i want some 5''+ for my show tank, but out of the 8-15 that I purchase I hope to get a breeding pair that I can try breeding for the first time. Im getting all this gear for like.. 200 bucks, so its not a big investment on the tank at all. Since this is my second time at discus.. I think i was gonna go for something a little cheaper, perhaps the Jack Wattley Cobalts that Canadian Aqua Farms has.. and just some standard cobalts!

dpete9
08-21-2012, 03:30 AM
If it were me I would have to agree with at least some of Drew's statement. I would get 10-15 and when they reach the 5+ size pick out my favorites and sell all but 7 or 8. Are you able to feed them often? maybe a good auto feeder for pellets when you are at work?? I feed my grow-outs pellets when i am at work and once in the night. beefheart mix when i am there to feed them.

santeclaws
08-21-2012, 04:04 AM
I have family at home that can throw a FDBW cube in there every 2-3 hours haha, school 8-8 usually, Out of curiosity, do you think that 2 hydro 50s and a ac 20 is enough?

Skip
08-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Ac 20 is too small. Thats for 20g