PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycle

Swancici
08-20-2012, 09:52 AM
So I looked this up on the threads.... Read a few post and still confused.
So do I need ammonia to Start the cycle? How does this work? so I have 115 gallon, 110 aq and sponge. Where do I start I'll be adding 10 discus. Could I use bioLogical water supplement or is that different?

lipadj46
08-20-2012, 10:01 AM
The fastest and cleanest way of doing it is using 10% ammonia solution from ace (no surfactants added) and tetra safestart (save some money order from kensfish). Let water age overnight to get rid of chlorine or dechlor the water, add the ammonia to get to about 3 ppm ammonia then add safestart. check your water parameters every couple days watch for nitrite spike and lowering ammonia then raising nitrates. Add ammonia if it falls below 1 ppm and once the ammonia falls to under .25ppm with no nitrites you are set. Don't do water changes while cycling, when complete do a 100% change and add fish. This should take about 2 weeks with the safestart and a month to 6 weeks without higher temps will make it go faster.

Poco
08-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Check this out, it has all the info that you need.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?27180-Beginners-Information-Index

Brirvhd
10-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi All, My name is Brian, I'm a new member here, a question about the fishless cycle that I have started on a new 20 gal QT tank with a new Bio-sponge filter. I just added first dose of 10% ammonia solution and am showing 4-5ppm with API test kit.
My question is, can I accelerate the cycle by adding a piece of bio-floss and/or gravel in a nylon bag from my established tank into the new tank? Or should I just be patient and let the colony establish naturally?