PDA

View Full Version : hey have a beginner question

ronald sherman
08-20-2012, 10:20 PM
setting up my first discus tank have had many tropical fish tank's set up for 15 yr's my biggest being a 90 now i went out and got too tank's too set-up a 75 gallon, and 29 for the 75 i have a fluval 306, with a cascade 700, with several air-stones as well as a fluval M300 also i was haveing a problem understyanding about a pre-filter so went on e-mail and spent over 30.00 for a Eheim 4004320 which hookup too the intake hose properly similar then most guy's make for less than 5.00 with tropical fish i alway's used the python hookup too my faucet removed 30 % a week and replaced with tap water adding prime know i.c i need a container with a heater too maintain exact temp and a airstone np my question comes in what type of pump with i use too pump the water from the container too the tank can someone list perhap's a few model no also my next question do i need a grow out tank then a display tank or can i simply when the time comes just make the grow out tank my display tank adding sand, plant's etc tank you soo much for any addition input i didn't realize when buying the tank that there was so many different thing's needed than just a tropical fish tank and i've kept clown loaches alive 4 yr's

Coffee1stLife2nd
08-20-2012, 11:10 PM
hopefully this might give you a easy idea, I seen this on another post here on SD. not sure who`s idea it was but Thank You to whomever. I also ordered this pump to go with it hope it works as ive never done a water change with a pump before but sounds so much better then huffing buckets like in the old days...http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4586+23760&pcatid=23760 i ordered the 1200 pro I have a 180 and since the price is not bad at all i went for the biggest one. 75248 sorry the pic is sideways for some reason..

Coffee1stLife2nd
08-20-2012, 11:14 PM
and if this pump wont work some1 please let me know before i open it up a try it...LOL...sorry to jump on your thread Ronald... Tina

nwehrman
08-20-2012, 11:24 PM
You are only limited by how fast you want to move the water and how.

I have a rio 2500 powerhead hooked to a drinking water safe hose in my RO barrel.

An eheim 1262 (I believe) in my tap water aging barrels.

A mag18 pump in one of my sumps.

All are submersible so I have them just dropped in the bottom, but I believe they all can be inline also - which is plumbed from tank to wherever and not actually in the water.

I also have a 1/2 hp Wayne transfer pump that can drain 1400 gallons an hour ... If needed.

Right now I gravity siphon but my tanks are plumbed to drain out of the house with a decent fall on a 3/4 inch line so doesn't take all that long at all.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoveltrash
08-21-2012, 07:45 AM
my next question do i need a grow out tank then a display tank or can i simply when the time comes just make the grow out tank my display tank adding sand, plant's etc tank you soo much for any addition input hi & welcome :)
this depends on what size Discus you decide to get. to grow out small juveniles, that 29 would be great. then transfer them to the 75 when they get larger. OR, you can make your life just a tad bit easier and buy a group of approx 6-7 sub-adults & start them off in your 75 bare bottom. then later you could add substrate/plants/etc.
no matter what, just be prepared to do a lot of water changes. from what I have learned, the smaller the fish, the more water changes needed ;)
I myself started off with a group of 3.5-4" Discus, and it has been very rewarding to watch them grow & thrive.
good luck!
and ps btw I use a submersible pond pump I got from Lowe's to pump my aged/heated water to the tank (w/rv hose & pvc attachment for filling). I drain by garden hose/pvc pipe gravity siphon.

dprais1
08-21-2012, 10:50 PM
and if this pump wont work some1 please let me know before i open it up a try it...LOL...sorry to jump on your thread Ronald... Tina

I can't imagine tHat that pump would be strong enough to move any amount of water for a wc. gravity would probably much faster to drain and it would probably take hours to refill your tank

here is what I use http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4587+4590&pcatid=4590 I have the 950 size and it works really well. sometimes to fast even. So if I'm cleaning the inside walls or using the tank runoff to clean filter media I just plug the pump in for a few seconds and then let gravity take over. to refill the tank it is fast and easy

kensfish also sells them

dprais1
08-21-2012, 10:52 PM
and realize that the typical 5/8" tubing will not be nearly as fast for waterchanges as a larger diameter tubing.

strawberryblonde
08-22-2012, 12:50 PM

Actually, if I'm reading the specs correctly, the 1200 you bought should move the water fairly quickly. I currently use a 1600 when I want to drain my tank quickly, and it will take it from full to nearly empty in a little over 5 minutes...which is fast!

The 1200 should, depending on head height, move about 250 gallons in 15 minutes.

fishaddiction
10-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Nice thread guys.gives me slot of good ideas for water changes.I'm still doing the one 5 gallon bucket method lol.

shoveltrash
10-03-2012, 10:16 AM
here is what I use http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...90&pcatid=4590 I have the 950 size and it works really well.quick question about this (and apologies for my lack of hose diameter knowledge LOL).......does the 950 outlet hook up to a regular water hose connection?

fishaddiction if I had to do the "5 gallon bucket" method I'd give it up. really, water pumps are the way to go.

bogia99
10-03-2012, 11:36 AM
quick question about this (and apologies for my lack of hose diameter knowledge LOL).......does the 950 outlet hook up to a regular water hose connection?

fishaddiction if I had to do the "5 gallon bucket" method I'd give it up. really, water pumps are the way to go.

on the positive side, if you are doing 100% water change every day with the 5G bucket, in a year, you will have nice arms :) and bad back :(