PDA

View Full Version : Please give me your input on my aquascape idea. Best of both worlds?

tank12
08-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Ok so I initially wanted a FULL black on black tank. Substrate, background, hardscape everything dark/black.

After initial research this seems like a bad way to go since I like PB strains. SO, what I was thinking to keep the black background and substrate, but limit the surface area to minimize peppering or darkness of the fish but still have that contrast I want.

Here is a ROUGH MSpaint to give you an idea:

Basically I would build a dam from rock to separate dark from light substrate.
Does this idea work, or will the fish still try to blend with the darker materials?

Thanks

Skip
08-21-2012, 02:31 PM
with the black background..

fish may and will DARKEN>.

just a little fyi

Lenin
08-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Won't work, sorry, discus will blend with their surroundings

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2

ExReefer
08-21-2012, 03:31 PM
It can work with Albino discus.

tank12
08-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Right, so having more light than dark substrate surface area effectively does nothing to inhibit that? My thoughts initially were that their surroundings will be more green (plants) and white/tan (sand) than black (partially hidden plant bed, partially hidden background).

Not to be stubborn, just trying to get a general consensus on this "mixed" contrast concept.

Skip
08-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Right, so having more light than dark substrate surface area effectively does nothing to inhibit that? My thoughts initially were that their surroundings will be more green (plants) and white/tan (sand) than black (partially hidden plant bed, partially hidden background).

your fish will let you know.. either way or what ever method you do..

exreef is correct.. Albinos

dprais1
08-21-2012, 05:14 PM
I have the bottom of my tank painted white.

I had no background on my tank for about a week but the wall behind the tank is white.

A couple days a ago I put some black posterboard on the back of the tank.

My opinion is that yes, my discus did darken. But when i say darken I don't mean dark as much as their colors seem stronger. light red turned more dark red, blues are more blue instead of pastel blue. don't know how else to describe it they just don't seem as washed out and no peppering at all.

took 2 days before I noticed any difference.

posterboard and some scotch tape is cheap. including the tape it cost me about 2.50 at the dollar store. if I don't like it it is easy to change.

Larry Bugg
08-21-2012, 05:25 PM
If the back of the tank is still black and part of the substrate is black then I think you will still PB strains pepper. How much may depend on the quality of the discus.

Teshi
08-21-2012, 08:02 PM
I had a black background with white bottom, both of my PB's fins started turning black. I changed my background to green and wow they are really starting to fade!

tank12
08-21-2012, 08:17 PM
The black fin faded, or your fish faded?

Teshi
08-21-2012, 09:04 PM
the black fins

strawberryblonde
08-23-2012, 12:28 PM
I currently have PB's in a tank with white painted bottom and a black painted background. It was the only tank available on short notice! LOL

I use LED lighting, dead center on top of the tank, and it stays on from 9am - 11pm. So far so good, no peppering at all on any of them. Well, my carnation pigeon does get her little gray "bowtie" under her chin, but only during feedings and when she's trying to lay eggs on the magfloat and being bothered by all the other curious kids in the tank.

I have NO idea if this is something that would work for other people with PB's, only know that it's working for me...try it at your own risk and be prepared to repaint the background in a lighter shade if you get peppering.

tank12
08-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the info. yea I'll just try it and see :-)