PDA

View Full Version : less worried but now confused

rerdragon1977
08-23-2012, 08:01 AM

sorry if the pic sucks, im trying to learn both a cell phone and photobucket. To start off thanks to those who posted advice under "when to worrry," colum i addded a few days ago. Its day 6 today and they arent really accepting food still. Their colour is good and still looking okay in the head area. They were picking which i thought was a positive sign but now i have eggs. We watched yesterday as they cleaned some driftwood. My wife came to get me because she thought they were finally eating, lol. after i explained that they dont eat driftwood they started laying eggs. We watched until she was done and the male started making passes over them. They are alert, fanning and picking at them for the last 18hrs now. So here is my question. I know that these guys likely wont hatch as this is an commnity aquarium and someone is gonna sneak in for sure and eat them if the discus dont. My concern is about their eating. If they were picking before can i expect their appetite to increse now? My main concern is to have some big fat healthy pets and not so much breeding right now sine i dont have the time or additional tank space to grow them out propperly. Im keeping up on the water changes that i incresed from 25% a week to 50% every 2 days. Water parameters are all very close to zeros and definetly in the safe range and the temp still sits at 82. I just want them to be more agressive in their feeding and i can relax.

a volar
08-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Like I mention in your other tread, I will up teperature to 85-86F........ JMO

rerdragon1977
08-23-2012, 05:28 PM
i will start bringing it up a degree every day. The fish are my first priority but i dont want to kill of all my plants either. Thanks for the response avolar,

YSS
08-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Increasing the temp often helps fish eat better. Also, discus stop eating when they are getting ready to spawn. Fish spawn when they are healthy and comfortable. You probably have nothing to worry about. Keeping the temp where it is probably not a bad idea as your discus obviously is happy enough to spawn.