PDA

View Full Version : light gravel to light sand?

cubert
08-26-2012, 05:57 PM
I still have a light layer of gravel in my 50g tank, and i've noticed 2 of my pigeons starting to get some new pepper. The only background is the white paint from the wall, and the gravel is mix of beige, light brown and white. I have some unused white sand in my fish storage, and was wondering if it was safe to take out the gravel and put in sand? Or just be smart and go barebottom.

strawberryblonde
08-26-2012, 06:07 PM
White sand helps and so does a painted white barebottom tank. I've tried both with fairly good success. Currently have white sand and very little pepper on my MR.

The other odd thing I've noticed though...in another tank with a carnation pigeon, is that the background is black, the bottom is white and I run bright LED's on that tank and so far, no peppering at all. Not sure, but I suspect it's the type and amount of lighting that's making the difference with her.

I'm planning on placing my MR in that tank in the near future, so I'll let you know if it eliminates the rest of the peppering. =)

cubert
08-26-2012, 08:27 PM
If I were to use the sand should I rinse it first? Or is it safe to just put in?

Eddie
09-01-2012, 05:42 PM
If I were to use the sand should I rinse it first? Or is it safe to just put in?

I like to rinse it, gets excess dust/powder out.