PDA

View Full Version : The Recipe Thread... Let's Get Cooking!

strawberryblonde
08-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Alrighty, now that I know that there are other foodies on this forum, and by "foodies" I mean anyone and everyone who enjoys whipping up a good meal in their kitchen. I do NOT mean people who make reservations at a fancy restaurant 9 months in advance and who want to sit at the chef's table to experience the 21 course tasting menu. Been there, done that, and none of it was ever as good as a nice home cooked meal with family and friends. =)

So for the true foodies that I know I've just offended, I apologize and heck, give me a couple of your favorite recipes and I'll even promise not to roll my eyes when you say "tasting menu". :angel:

I'll share first, since this was my idea. And I'm gonna share my latest obsession courtesy of Brasil.

I first tasted these thanks to my daughter in law. Well, actually it was her sister who is responsible for my recent 10 pound weight gain!

The Story:
Tim and I found ourselves childless for Thanksgiving back in 2005. It was the first time we'd ever been truly alone for a holiday, so we did what any self-respecting couple would do... we went on vacation! We headed down to Fort Meyers, Florida for 7 days of sun, kayaking, more sun, canoeing and more sun.

Ah, but being a sentimental Mom, I called my son, who lived in Sarasota, just to say hi on the day before Thanksgiving. And he being a dutiful son, promptly spread the word that "Poor Mom and Poor Tim were ALL ALONE for Thanksgiving". Enter the In-Laws. They graciously called us right up to invite us to drive up the next day for some turkey and trimmings. Tim and I looked at each other, rolled our eyes, sucked it up and drove north for Thanksgiving Dinner (ok ok ok, so for the entire drive he kept looking over at me and sighing, and each time he did it I promised him that I would never divulge our location, while on vacation, to our kids again..ever...ever...never!)

Enter the Pao de Queijo.

My daughter in law's sister spent quite a bit of time in Brasil before she met her husband. Her love of the country was so great that they ended up honeymooning there. I mean really, it's a serious addiction for her! LOL

They had just gotten back from their honeymoon, and had brought with them a cooler filled with dry ice and frozen Pao de Queijo. (There may have been other goodies in that cooler, after tasting the first bun I didn't care and didn't ask)

Lemme tell ya, the entire day beca,e rosier in hue and much MUCH happier for me the minute I tasted these soft airy little buns. Tim and I hogged a whole plateful to ourselves and refused to share. Yep, we were BAD dinner guests. LOL

So here's the recipe I like best so far. It's not quite the same as the ones we had in Sarasota, but it's close enough to brighten my day.

Easy Pao de Queijo

INGREDIENTS
2 eggs at room temp
2/3 cup olive or vegetable oil (Olive Oil can give a strong taste, so I generally mix it half and half with the veggie oil)
1 1/3 cups milk
Scant 3 cups tapioca flour
1 cup grated cheese, your preference, but if you can find Queso Fresco you'll thank me for it.
2 teaspoons of salt (or more to taste)

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a muffin tin. Put all of the ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth. You may need to use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender so that everything gets blended well.
At this point you can store the batter in the refrigerator for up to a week.

2. Fill the muffin cups half way. Any more than that and they'll puff up and run over the top.

3. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until all puffy and just lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack for a few minutes.

Eat while warm or save to reheat later.
Enough batter for 8-12 muffin sized cheese breads.

Brazilian cheese bread is very chewy in the middle, but melts in your mouth when it's hot from the oven.

discuspaul
08-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Wonderful - sounds fantastic - and I'll definitely try it. (I'm thinking of a certain greek cheeese for the cheese ingredient.)
But now Toni, you've got me thinking real hard.
I will contribute something just as soon as I can - but it may take a bit of contemplating - bear with me.

dpete9
08-28-2012, 09:06 PM
where could I find tapioca flour?

Trier20
08-28-2012, 09:15 PM
I'll put contribute tomorrow when i get access to my recipes

strawberryblonde
08-28-2012, 10:12 PM
where could I find tapioca flour?

You can find it at most good grocery stores. It'll be right next to the corn starch in the flour/sugar aisle. If you can't find it their, they might have it in the speciality/mexican food aisle. I shop at a commissary and they have it in both of those aisles.

Let me know if you can't find it and I'll get the substitutions for you... there's a mixture of corn starch and regular flour that works too.

Skip
08-28-2012, 10:14 PM
toni.. search PC1 threads.. he like recipes.. and has post some in past..

discuspaul
08-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Okay, folks - let's start off with something relatively easy - a simple appetizer - but real good for a nice, gracious in-home dinner party, or for a raucous back yard BBQ.

First, a bit of my story:
I got real interested in cooking in my mid- 20's, and shortly thereafter was transferred to Singapore, about 30 years ago. I then got into Asian cooking so much that I began collecting recipes & cookbooks, and tried as many Asian foods as I could. I quickly progressed to begin cooking Singaporean, Chinese, Thai, Indonesian, Malay, Japanese & Vietnamese dishes, among others. And I think I got pretty good at it. (well, after a few years back home experimenting).

Here's a recipe for Thai chicken wings that I hope will knock your socks off - it did me:

The basting sauce:
- 3 -tbspns of Thai sweet Chili Sauce
- 3 " of Soy Sauce - your choice - thick, thin, Japanese, whatever.
- 2 " of chili garlic sauce (called Sriracha - get it in the Asian food section of your supermarket)
- 1 tspn. grated fresh ginger
- 1 " of your favorite bbq sauce - whatever that may be - Diane's - Tony Roma's, etc.
- 1 " of hoisin sauce
- 1 " of plum sauce
- 1 " of apricot jam (optional)
- 1 " of sesame oil

Mix these all together very well - heat the sauce to the boiling point for a bit, if you wish.

Prepare your chicken wings any way you like - I prefer to to remove as much of the excess skin as I can, and split them in two between the drumette and the outer wing portion - but discard the final wing tip portion. Sprinkle them with salt & pepper.

Roast/bake them in a lightly oiled/greased oven pan/sheet @ 350 degrees for about 35/40 minutes, then baste them with your sauce, both sides, turning them once during your basting. (Baste more than once each side if you wish).
Bake for another 10-15 minutes in total.
Finish them off by turning on the broiler element for just 2-3 minutes to bubble up the glaze & carmelize it on one side.

Remove to a serving dish & sprinkle on some toasted sesame seeds.

Your guests SHOULD just love them - give it a go - imo they're the best chicken wings you're ever going to eat!
Bon Appetit !

discuspaul
08-28-2012, 11:46 PM
P.S.
Oh... and just so you know ... I'm not just about Asian cooking - I do a fair job with Italian, French, Greek, Spanish, even middle-eastern/mediterranean - and my utmost favorite - Mexican !
So, if any of you have any particular likes as to food/cuisines, just name it, whether it's appies, main meals, or desserts, and I'll give it my best shot if I'm familiar with it.

Poco
08-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Paul, I love wings and your recipe got me drooling all over. I will try it for sure. Thanks for sharing.

nickfish39
08-29-2012, 12:19 AM
I lived in Brazil for almost three years. Loved it there and loved the Food! I can definitely understand how your daughter-in-law has become so obsessed with it :) I will think of a good recipe that I can share. I have been more into thai food lately myself. Great Idea for a post!

discuspaul
08-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Paul, I love wings and you recipe got me drooling all over. I will try it for sure. Thanks for sharing.

I believe I can assure you that once you try it, you, and your family or guests, should be hooked.
And, by doing so, you will have made my day ! LOL

strawberryblonde
08-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Oh my gosh the wings sound awesome! I just happen to have a great big bag of wings sitting in the freezer, so guess what Tim is going to be eating tomorrow? =)

I spent some time in China a few years ago and for awhile that was my obsession when I got back home so I'll find and post a few of my most favoritest recipes. The one recipe I could never get my hands on is for Golden Sand Buns. Man I miss those things.

Second Hand Pat
08-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Paul, I can not help thinking that your wing recipe would be good on the grill also.

Trier20
08-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Paul, I can not help thinking that your wing recipe would be good on the grill also.

Yup put em in a tinfoil pouch and render the fat off of them and cook then through. Don't forget to put some of the basting liquid in. After they are cooked through take them out and get a good char on them. Thicken the sauce with a slurry and toss with the wings.

Second Hand Pat
08-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Anyone do fried lobster tail. Now I do this with Florida lobster and you only have the tail. Remove the meat from the shell and cut along the natural divisions in the meat. This will yield bite size pieces of meat. Lightly flour the meat and place in a hot skillet with 1/2 inch hot oil and fry until nicely brown all the way around and it forks tender.

Serve hot with fried grouper, hush puppies and a nice salad or corn on the cob.

Second Hand Pat
08-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Anyone do fried lobster tail. Now I do this with Florida lobster and you only have the tail. Remove the meat from the shell and cut along the natural divisions in the meat. This will yield bite size pieces of meat. Lightly flour the meat and place in a hot skillet with 1/2 inch hot oil and fry until nicely brown all the way around and it forks tender.

strawberryblonde
08-29-2012, 01:44 AM

I'm a sucker for seafood and especially for fried seafood! Tim waxes poetic about fried lobster, but I've never had it. We don't get a whole lot of lobster out this way, guess I'll have to plan a road trip! =)

Teshi
08-29-2012, 01:44 AM
I can see it now... A recipe search bar added! I love this idea Toni.

I am so going to try both of these Pao de Queijo and Chicken wings this week!

Trier20
08-29-2012, 01:54 AM

Alright Pat, you are a moderator now. You can't talk dirty like that anymore. :)

strawberryblonde
08-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Alright Pat, you are a moderator now. You can't talk dirty like that anymore. :)

ROFLMBO!!

yim11
08-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Wow Pat that lobster dish sounds great, with lobster being so cheap right now I will try it!

Toni, if I have a decent grocery store I would love to try your recipe.

In the interest of not feeling like typing a lot right now, I can only offer a few simple appetizers. We do these for fish group meeting and it usually goes over pretty well.

Sex on a Cracker
Soften a package of cream cheese, plate and cover with candied jalapenos (equal sauce and slices), about 1/2 a small jar. Serve with Ritz crackers.

Smokies wrapped in sweet bacon

Ingredients

1 pound sliced bacon, cut into thirds
1 (14 ounce) package beef cocktail wieners
1 cup brown sugar, or to taste

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Refrigerate the bacon until needed. It is easier to wrap the wieners with cold bacon. Put the cut slices of bacon in to a zip lock bag with the brown sugar, shake to coat, Wrap each cocktail wiener with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle extra brown sugar generously over all.
Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until the sugar is bubbly. To serve, place the wieners in a slow cooker and keep on the low setting.

strawberryblonde
08-29-2012, 03:59 AM
Hey hey Jim, I'm all about keeping it easy in the kitchen and your Sex on a Cracker recipe sounds like a great variation on an appetizer that I make for my kids at Christmas. I just use jalapeno jelly, cuz I had NO idea there was such a thing as candied jalapenos. Now I hafta go see if my local grocery store carries them.

Did you ever try Jalapeno Popcorn? Heat a 1/2 inch of good oil (I like peanut cuz it doesn't smoke as easily at high temps) till it's good n hot. Then toss in a handful or two of well drained sliced jalapenos. I grab them out of the jar and toss them on paper towels to be sure they're good and dry.

Fry them till they're brown and crispy, then drain them on paper towels. Now make your popcorn and add a tbsp. of the frying oil to either the popcorn oil, or, if you're using "dry" method of popping, add it to the melted butter for the topping.

Toss the popcorn with the butter, some salt, a 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and the fried jalapenos.

It's addictive and you won't be able to stop munching.

My personal tip for perfect popcorn - Heat the oil in a large pot. Add 4 kernels of corn and when they pop, add the rest of the popcorn (depends on the size of the pot). Immediately cover the pot and take it off the heat. Leave it off the heat for 30 seconds, then put it back on the heat and move the lid a bit so it's ajar and some of the steam can escape. I don't shake the pot around, just give it a couple of good shakes towards the end when the popping slows down.

The 30 seconds off the heat allows all the kernels to heat up evenly for better popping and the slightly off center lid allows the steam to escape so the popcorn comes out light and fluffy like good theater popcorn.

dpete9
08-29-2012, 06:38 AM
I have a secret tip for chili which I haven't made in years, but i love it..... add a pinch of cocoa to the pot. It gives it a rich flavor that people can't quite figure out.. shh i never tell anyone i make it for.
I found a really great cookbook/magazine that an upscale Dutch grocery store puts out once a month. I am going to try a bunch of these Dutch cuisines and share the ones I like.. makes me want to go home and start cooking. I want those Pao de Queijo

Second Hand Pat
08-29-2012, 09:26 AM

Brandon, wait until I tell you guys about my sweet boiled shrimp which was my grandmother's recipe and is my absolute favorite.

Second Hand Pat
08-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Wow Pat that lobster dish sounds great, with lobster being so cheap right now I will try it!

It is awesome Jim. I have only done it with florida lobster...maybe fine with maine lobster too.

DLock3d
08-29-2012, 10:54 AM
I'll be giving this recipe to my girlfriend. If it's anything like buena braza or fogo de chow we'll both be quite pleased.

Trier20
08-29-2012, 11:22 AM
I have a secret tip for chili which I haven't made in years, but i love it..... add a pinch of cocoa to the pot. It gives it a rich flavor that people can't quite figure out.. shh i never tell anyone i make it for.
I found a really great cookbook/magazine that an upscale Dutch grocery store puts out once a month. I am going to try a bunch of these Dutch cuisines and share the ones I like.. makes me want to go home and start cooking. I want those Pao de Queijo

Yup alotnof people do this. Gives a depth of flavor slightly similar to what you would find in a mole sauce. Good stuff Maynard.

discuspaul
08-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Great recipes above - thanks to all of you - they're all 'must try' !

BTW - A small addition to my thai wings recipe:

Please note that the amount of glazing sauce produced with the ingredient quantities I have listed will only be sufficient sauce to coat approx. 10 complete wings, or 20 pieces if split in two between the drumette and wing portions (a small package of wings) - good for about 4 to 6 persons as an appie only.

Double the glaze recipe, or even triple it, for a large batch of wings - and you can also increase the quantities of the bbq, hoisin, and plums sauces, as well as the apricot jam if you use it - 1 tbspn, or more, of each of these ingredients, rather than 1 tspn.
And yes, they're great grilled too, in the manner suggested earlier.

strawberryblonde
08-29-2012, 04:49 PM
i sorta figured out that I needed more sauce. =)

I made up the glaze right after lunch so that it would be ready for tonight's wing extravaganza and decided to triple it. I used the only jam I have in the house... homemade cranberry that I put up last year. Gotta tell ya, it tastes awesome! I waffled about the addition of the jam but decided to try it since it's quite sour, like apricot jam and has the same consistency.

My BBQ sauce is one that my oldest son makes...he owns a BBQ catering company, so I'm really spoiled.

I'll snap a few photo's tonight before Tim tucks into the wings. I had to send him out fishing because he kept bugging me for "early dinner". LOL

discuspaul
08-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Great Toni - hope you & family like it as much as I do.

Now, on to the next segment:
I'd like to provide you with 2 simple but great French recipes that go back at least 150 years, one an entree and the other a dessert.

One at a time though - the dessert first:

This is an elegant and delicious, but rich, MOCHA CHOCOLATE TORTE (flourless) - for you chocoholics out there - (to die for) !

You will need a 9" springform pan, to yield 8 to 12 servings, depending on how much 'richness' you can take at a time.

Ingredients:
- 8 oz. (225 grams) of good quality dark chocolate (Dark Swiss, Cadbury's Premium Dark, Hershey's - Lindt - whatever)
- 1/2 cup strong coffee (espresso is good)
- 8 oz. of butter (unsalted is best), cut up into small pieces
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped unsalted pecans, or cashews, or walnuts - whatever nuts you like best.

First, wrap the springform pan with alum. foil around the outside bottom to prevent leakage (to avoid any messy leakage whatsoever, I also wrap the bottom plate of the pan, before insertion, with enough foil so that it clings all round & up the inside wall of the springform to fully contain all of the batter until it sets.)

Lightly grease and flour the springform pan.

Break up the chocolate into small pieces into a glass or other microwaveable bowl and add the coffee to it. Microwave for 30-40 seconds to really get the melting underway.

Stir/whisk it until fully melted, and begin adding the pieces of butter, a few chunks at a time, whisking after each batch is added, until the mixture is smooth & glossy.

Then whisk in the sugar.

Microwave the mixture a few second more, just to get it warm.
Slowly add in the beaten eggs, whisking constantly, until all is blended in.
Add the diced nuts & mix in.

Pour the finished batter into the springform pan,
and bake for 50 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven.

Remove from the oven & cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edges, and remove the sides of the pan.
Cool completely. The cake should be around 2"-2.5" high when done, and will deflate slightly while cooling.
Cut away the excess foil wrapping.

Wrap the cake very well in saran wrap and refrigerate overnite or up to 2 days.
(Note: I leave the cake on the springform bottom plate to fully retain it's shape, and cut & serve it from that.)

Before serving, unwrap it, and let the cake sit at room temp for about an hour.

The cake is great just plain, or with fresh rasberries and whipped cream, or raspberry sauce with the whipped cream, or with custard sauce.
(I prefer raspberry sauce - just use seedless raspberry jam with a little water added to thin it out. - Heat it up a bit before drizzling it over the cake.)

The cake will be good for up to a week in the fridge.
Enjoy!

The next recipe will be the entree - which I think you'll just love - traditional Parisien french main couse.

discuspaul
08-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Brandon, wait until I tell you guys about my sweet boiled shrimp which was my grandmother's recipe and is my absolute favorite.

Hey Pat, we're waiting for your sweet boiled shrimp recipe !

Trier20
08-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Brandon’s Pork Butt Dry Rub

8oz kosher salt
5oz dry mustard
3oz cumin
2oz granulated onion
2oz granulated garlic
2oz dark chili powder
2oz paprika
1T Dried Oregano

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix together. Rub pork 4-24 hrs prior to cooking.

This can be used for all pork not just pork butt. I cook the pork but at 150 degrees for 12-13 hrs :)

dpete9
08-29-2012, 07:33 PM
yum. people it's 1:30 in the morning here and I'm thinking about which one of these recipes I can make for dinner tomorrow.

Trier20
08-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Brandon’s Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Bread

• 6 c all purpose flour
• 2c yellow cornmeal
• 1 ¼ c honey
• 5 T baking powder
• 3oz kosher salt
• 1 qt. milk
• 6 large eggs, beaten well
• 1# butter, unsalted
• 1 ¾# cheddar cheese
• 2/3c gr. Onions
• 1 1/4c seeded jalapenos

Directions:

Sift dry ingredients together into a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl beat eggs then add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix well. Add the wet bowl to the dry bowl and mix until most of the clumps are worked out, don’t over work the batter. This recipe will make one sheet tray(my kitchen size probably two of yours). Dump batter out onto a well greased sheet tray and smooth evenly. Bake for 13-15 min in a 350 degree pre-heated oven. If you’d like to drizzle more honey on after baking that is fine too.

Trier20
08-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Pork Tenderloin Sliders

1 pork tenderloin, cleaned
3 cup panko
4 fl ounce egg wash
2 cup seasoned ap flour
2 cup iqf blueberries
1 cup simple syrup
2 tsp black peppercorns

1. Combine 1 cup of water on cup of sugar and 2 cups of blueberries and peppercorns in a small sauce pot and turn on medium low heat. Bring to a simmer and reduce by 1/3. Once it is reduced blend in blender and put in squeeze bottle.
2. Portion tenderloin into 2 1/3 oz slices. Pound out thin.
3. Dredge in flour, dip in egg wash then coat in the panko.
4. Fry tenderloins in 350 degree fryer until golden brown and cooked through.
5. Serve on toasted buns with lettuce tomato, berry sauce and a side of fries

Trier20
08-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Smoked Salmon Cheesecake

2 cups diced and toasted French bread1/2 cup toasted
1/2 cup Swiss and/or gruyere cheese, grated
1 Tablespoon fresh dill, minced
1/2 cup melted butter
2 large shallots, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1-3/4 lb. cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream, lightly whipped
pinch of kosher salt
coarsely ground black pepper to taste
Tabasco sauce to taste
dash worstershire sauce
4 eggs
1/2 lb Smoked Salmon, thinly sliced.

Combine first four ingredients and process in blender or food processor
until crumbled. Add to melted butter and press onto bottom and 2" up
the sides of a well greased spring form pan. Chill well.

Saute onion in butter until tender. Cream the cream cheese. Beat in
shallot, Swiss or gruyere cheese, sour cream, tabasco, worstershire
(if using) salt and pepper. Add eggs, one at a time, beating briefly
after each addition.

Next fold in lightly whipped cream. Fold in salmon. Pour into crust.
Bake at 350 degrees until set (until a toothpick comes out clean), approx. 45 to 60 min. Let cool, and chill thoroughly. You can freeze until you need it as well.

Before serving, bring to room temperature and
serve with good bread (toasted or not) or crackers.

This is pretty funky but, use it as a dip. It’s great!!!!!

Trier20
08-29-2012, 07:42 PM
This makes a pretty decent size batch you may want to scale it down.
Braised Chuck

15 3oz cubes of chuck
5 jalapenos halved and seeded
1 lrg onion cut into quarters
10 garlic cloves smashed
Half head of celery
3 oranges halved and juiced
¼ cup tomato paste
1 liter red rocket amber ale(brown ale)
1 pint demi

In a large braising pan sear all pieces of chuck on all sides. Remove chuck and set aside. Add to pan all veggies and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Deglaze pan with rocket and add demi tomato paste oranges and juice. Add chuck back to pan and braise for 3 to 4 hours. Once tender remove chuck from pan and puree the braising liquid (you may need to add some water or beef stock to get to desired consistency).

Serve with horseradish mashed potatoes and roasted carrots with thyme. :)

Second Hand Pat
08-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Hey Pat, we're waiting for your sweet boiled shrimp recipe !

Pat's sweet boiled shrimp

Alright Paul, you get several pounds of large, shell on headless shrimp, white vinegar, salt, celery seed and old bay (optional). Fill a large pot with 60% white vinegar/40% water and bring to a boil. You want enough of the while vinegar/water to nicely cover the shrimp.

As the white vinegar/water mixture is heating you add salt to taste. Allow the white vinegar/water mixture to comes to a nice rolling boil and add the washed shrimp and stir.

Here is where you add the celery seed. you want enough to give decent coverage on the shrimp but if you get too much it will give the shrimp a harsh taste. Stir again and allow the shrimp to turn pink. Now remove the shrimp from the pot BUT save an inch or two of water and place back in the pot. Now add one of those fold out streamers to the pot and add the shrimp to the top of the unfolded streamer. Bring the water back to a gentle boil and allow the shrimp to cook a couple of minutes.

Here is where I remove a shrimp to taste for doneness. Careful to not overcook here as the shrimp can get a little tough. The vinegar will make the shrimp sweet and this beats all the shrimp boil mixes.

Optional: Once the shrimp are added to the streamer add some old bay and mix it in a little...heaven and my totally favorite dish of all time. This is also my grandmother's recipe.

Trier20
08-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Grilled Romaine Salad

1 head romaine lettuce
1 ounce balsamic reduction
1 ounce Caesar dressing
5 shrimp, grilled then skewerd

Remove shell from shrimp toss in oil salt and pepper then grill. Cut romaine in half and put on grill. Only grill long enough to get good marks on the lettuce. Remove lettuce and shrimp when done. Skewer shrimp on a 12 inch skewer and stick into romaine wedge. Drizzle with balsamic and Caesar.

Trier20
08-29-2012, 07:46 PM
This one is not my recipe but i love it. It's super easy to make and i will make different compotes to go along with it. enjoy :)

4 cups (1l) heavy cream (or half-and-half)
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 packets powdered gelatin (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
6 tablespoons (90ml) cold water
1. Heat the heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan or microwave. Once the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
(If using a vanilla bean, scrape the seeds from the bean into the cream and add the bean pod. Cover, and let infuse for 30 minutes. Remove the bean then rewarm the mixture before continuing.)
2. Lightly oil eight custard cups with a neutral-tasting oil.
3. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a medium-sized bowl and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Pour the very warm Panna Cotta mixture over the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
5. Divide the Panna Cotta mixture into the prepared cups, then chill them until firm, which will take at least two hours but I let them stand at least four hours. (Judy told me American refrigerators are colder than European ones. )
If you’re pressed for time, pour the Panna Cotta mixture into wine goblets so you can serve them in the glasses, without unmolding.
6. Run a sharp knife around the edge of each Panna Cotta and unmold each onto a serving plate, and garnish as desired.

Trier20
08-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Crab Rangoon Dip

Crab Rangoon Dip
16 oz. fresh crab meat (or canned, well drained)
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. chopped scallions or chives
2 T heavy cream
1 T horseradish
1 t salt
1 t ground white pepper
¼ t of garlic powder
Whip all ingredients minus the crab together in a mixing bowl. Once thoroughly whipped fold in crab.
Fry or bake won ton wrappers to use as a dipping vessel.

Trier20
08-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Butter Pickles
5 1/2 cups (1 1/2 pounds) thinly sliced pickling cucumbers
1 1/2 Tablespoons kosher salt
1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Directions:
1. Combine cucumbers and salt in a large, shallow bowl; cover and chill 1 1/2 hours. Move cucumbers into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain well, and return cucumbers to bowl. Add onion to the bowl.
2. Combine sugar and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture; let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.

This is one of my favorite pickle recipes ever :)

Trier20
08-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Ok Pat here is my sweet shrimp recipe. I start with 1 gallon of cold water 2 lemons and 3 oranges juiced into the water and the rinds thrown in. A handfull of cilantro 1T of sugar and 1/2T of whole black peppercorns. Slowly bring to boil and add 1LB of shrimp. Crank heat and cook for approx 2 min. remove from water and chill on ice. Once chillled enjoy with a Tecate with some Lime :)

Trier20
08-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Sorry for taking up most of a page Toni :)

Second Hand Pat
08-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Ok Pat here is my sweet shrimp recipe. I start with 1 gallon of cold water 2 lemons and 3 oranges juiced into the water and the rinds thrown in. A handfull of cilantro 1T of sugar and 1/2T of whole black peppercorns. Slowly bring to boil and add 1LB of shrimp. Crank heat and cook for approx 2 min. remove from water and chill on ice. Once chillled enjoy with a Tecate with some Lime :)

That sound yummy Brandon and so do many of your other recipes :)

discuspaul
08-29-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't mean to hog this thread, but hope you don't mind - since I'm on a roll. LOL

This main dish is traditional french cuisine - and I believe it will prove to be one of the best Pepper Steaks you will have had !

STEAK AU POIVRE:

This recipe is for 2 steaks, cooked medium/rare.

Get your best butcher to cut you 2 boneless rib-eyes, at least 1.5" thick, or 2 filets (beef tenderloin) about 2" thick.

Liberally coat both sides of the steaks with freshly ground black pepper (or red, or green).
Let the steaks sit at room temp for at least one half hour before pan frying. Up to an hour is good, but remember, the longer the steaks sit with the pepper on them, the hotter they will be - I like mine quite peppery.

Rather than use freshly ground dry pepper placed right onto their steaks and let sit, some purists prefer to use whole green peppercorns (available by the jar in water or brine, or pickled). These peppercorns are mixed right into the sauce with the other ingredients, some squashed to heighten the heat.

Ingredients for your sauce:
- Approx. 1/3 cup good brandy (cognac is best if your wallet premits)
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped/minced shallots ( 1 med/lge shallot)
- 1 heaping tbspn of Dijon mustard
- 1 tspn of dried tarragon (or 1 heaping tspn chopped fresh tarragon if you can get it)
- Approx. 1/4 to 1/3 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)

Preheat your oven to 275 degrees

In a fry pan just large enough to hold the two steaks, add a tbspn of both butter and veg oil, and heat to med/high.

Fry your steaks on both sides until seared dark golden brown/blackish on the outside (about 3-4 minutes each side) - the steaks should still be fairly rare in the center.

Remove to a holding pan & place in your warmed oven.

Add the minced shallots to the still hot pan, & over med heat, cook them slightly to opaqueness while stirring, then add the cognac & cook away the alcohol (Flame it up if you wish).

Add the tarragon, the dijon mustard, and the whipping cream, and stir well to blend it all together.
If need be, add a little thickener at this point, to give the sauce the consistency you want. (A little cornstarch mixed with cool water will do fine).

Remove your steaks from the oven, place on your serving plates, and coat them both liberally with the finished sauce.
Serve the steaks with patate frites (fries), or boiled new potatoes, and either steamed broccolli, or steamed brussel sprouts - or any other favorites you have.

I do believe you'll feel like you're having a grand steak in a parisian bistro. Enjoy !

discuspaul
08-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks, Pat for the boiled shrimp recipe - I'm certainly going to try that, along with several of BRANDON's recipes above, which sound just yummy !
Thank you both for sharing.

Second Hand Pat
08-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks to everyone for sharing. I see several nights is awesome eating.

Disgirl
08-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all these great recipes! I am home sick with a cold and feel lousy and reading these tasty recipes has made me feel better and I am already making plans to try some of them. First thing I need to find is tapioca flour, then some good shrimp and some chicken wings. I will add some recipes here too, later on. Toni this is a good idea, hope it keeps going!
Barb

Trier20
08-29-2012, 08:49 PM
That sound yummy Brandon and so do many of your other recipes :)

Thanks Pat it's what i do

Trier20
08-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks, Pat for the boiled shrimp recipe - I'm certainly going to try that, along with several of BRANDON's recipes above, which sound just yummy !
Thank you both for sharing.

No problem Paul. Some chef's are protective of their recipes. Not me! if you like it and want to try to do it...go ahead. My purpose with cooking food is to make people happy. If i can do that once and then they can do it again and relive the first experince over, thats joy right there

strawberryblonde
08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
The Thai Wings were a hit with Tim...woot! Of course, it sorta goes without saying that he'd love them since he's a guy, right?

I have tons of leftovers for lunches this week and I'm already browsing the thread for something to make tomorrow.

Ohhhhhhhhh, here's a pic of the wings. Sorry it's so blurry, had a hard time getting a close up so you could see the yumminess without losing focus. I has a rather inexpensive camera. LOL

discuspaul
08-30-2012, 12:09 AM
That's exactly the way I look at it too, Brandon.

No problem Paul. Some chef's are protective of their recipes. Not me! if you like it and want to try to do it...go ahead. My purpose with cooking food is to make people happy. If i can do that once and then they can do it again and relive the first experince over, thats joy right there

discuspaul
08-30-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm glad Tim liked them - I hope he wasn't the only one. (You did say you had a lot of leftovers. LOL)
Oh, and the pic was great - they looked just the way they're supposed to look !

The Thai Wings were a hit with Tim...woot! Of course, it sorta goes without saying that he'd love them since he's a guy, right?

I have tons of leftovers for lunches this week and I'm already browsing the thread for something to make tomorrow.

Ohhhhhhhhh, here's a pic of the wings. Sorry it's so blurry, had a hard time getting a close up so you could see the yumminess without losing focus. I has a rather inexpensive camera. LOL

strawberryblonde
08-30-2012, 01:27 AM
I'm glad Tim liked them - I hope he wasn't the only one. (You did say you had a lot of leftovers. LOL)
Oh, and the pic was great - they looked just the way they're supposed to look !

Hehehe, I LOVE them! I knew I would since I love all the separate components. Hoisin, plum sauce, jam, chilies, chicken wings, what's not to love? =)

strawberryblonde
08-30-2012, 01:29 AM
I love this thread so much and am SO happy that so many people love it too that I'm thinking that at the end of each week I'll consolidate all the recipes we share into one recipe thread so we can find them easily later on down the road. Once that's done, I'll close the weekly thread and start a new one for the upcoming week.

Trier20
08-30-2012, 02:17 AM
I love this thread so much and am SO happy that so many people love it too that I'm thinking that at the end of each week I'll consolidate all the recipes we share into one recipe thread so we can find them easily later on down the road. Once that's done, I'll close the weekly thread and start a new one for the upcoming week.

Good idea Toni. A little recipe data base :)

discuspaul
08-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Sounds like a super plan !

discuspaul
08-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Here's another 'finger-lickin' good appie recipe:
Very simple, but delish!

PORK BUTTON BONES ( sometimes called 'dry ribs')

Sure hope you folks can find these pork buttons at one of your supermarkets or meat market shops.
They're sometimes seldom found around here.

For those of you who don't know what they are - they're the very tail end strips of pork back ribs, and quite meaty. They are usually sold in 6" to 8" long strips, no more than 2" wide, and you simply cut them between each small flat bone, into individual pieces of approx 2" square.

Lightly coat these little riblets with some veg oil, and generously adorn them, both sides, with sea or kosher salt (or fleur de sel) and freshly ground black pepper - nothing more - simple, huh ?

Place them on a flat backing sheet & bake for 15-20 minutes on each side, @ 400-425 F (turning them once) until they just begin to brown up well, with crisping edges.
Total roasting time - about 40 minutes, or so.

An approx 2 lb. package should yield 35 up to 50 little riblets - a super appie for 6 to 10 persons.
And the best part is, they shouldn't cost you any more than about $5.

Your family & guests will love them !

brewmaster15
08-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Some really good recipes here... I'll add one of my own here..

Brew's Gluten Free Meatballs...

2 pounds Ground meat of your Choice...I like Turkey but any kind works
6 whole eggs or 2 whole eggs and 8 whites
4 cups Corn Chex (general mills) Crush these with a rolling pin
5 table spoons olive oil
1-2 teaspoon salt (use your own judgement here)
3 table spoons Garlic Powder
1/4 cup dried parsley or 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh
1 small to medium onion Diced fine
1 teaspoon Black pepper

Mix all ingredients by hand thoroughly.... you may need to add more corn chex to get the right consistency to make a small ball in your hand...You can also use some Gluten free bread crumb ( though I would not recommend just using that or you will get rocks.

On a cookie sheet spread some aluminum foil...and spray with cooking oil. Preheat oven to 380-400 degrees . You can make the meatballs any size, for your typical 2" diameter balls cooktime is about an hour. Once cooked use them in sauce, make them small to use in Lasagne....your choice.

It took me a while to come up with this one as I am supposed to stay away from Gluten, but love my Italian food. I used to make my meatballs and meatloaf with Italian bread that I had made myself..... My kids actually like the Gluten Free ones here better than wheat based ones...If you know anyone thats Celiac, or has a Gluten sensitivity as I do, This recipe is a simple and easy one for meat loaf, meat balls etc. A good variation is to add 1/2-3/4 cup finely diced zucchini...

Hope that helps someone. The above recipe makes about 24 average meatballs...., these freeze real well and are a great time saver here.

-al

discuspaul
08-30-2012, 02:49 PM
You folks getting bored yet ?

Here's one for you seafood lovers:

SCALLOPS VERA CRUZ
(my ultimate favorite scallops recipe - the sauce really makes this dish - you'll love it).

The rub and sauce for this recipe will be sufficient for 24 large (sea) scallops - as a main dish for 4 persons, or a starter for 8.

The Rub:
- 1 tspn chili powder
- 1 " paprika
- 1 " kosher salt
- 1/2 " ground cumin
- 1/2 " dried oregano
- 1/4 " freshly ground black pepper

The Sauce: ( serve it cold - slathered across the bottom of each plate, and place your cooked scallops on top of it.)

- 3 Anaheim Chile Peppers
- 3 green onions, roughly chopped, root ends discarded
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves & tender stems
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 tspn kosher salt

Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime ( this to add to the scallops, along with the rub, as covered off later).

Grill the Anaheim peppers on your grill, or under your oven broiler, until they are blackened and blistered in spots all over - 3 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove, and when cool enough to handle, remove & discard the stem ends, and with a sharp knife, scrape off and discard nearly all the blackened skins.
Roughly chop the remaining parts of the chiles and drop them in a food processor or blender. Add the green onions, cilantro and garlic. Process to make a coarse paste, then add the remaining sauce ingredients, and process for a minute or two to create a smooth sauce. If it seems too thick, add a little water to make it smooth but not too runny. Refrigerate.

Mix the rub ingredients in a small bowl.
Remove the small tough side muscle that might be attached to each scallop. In a large bowl, add enough veg oil to the scallops to lightly coat them. Add the rub, lime zest and juice. Mix well to coat the scallops evenly.

Grill the scallops on your BBQ, or pan fry them at stovetop, turning once, until slightly browned and firm on the surface, and opaque in the center. About 4 to 6 minutes.
Serve them over a coating of the sauce evenly spread over the bottom of each plate.

Yummy !

discuspaul
08-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Love your recipe for the meat balls, Al
It's just the ticket for my daughter-in-law's sensitivities.

discuspaul
08-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Brandon’s Pork Butt Dry Rub

8oz kosher salt
5oz dry mustard
3oz cumin
2oz granulated onion
2oz granulated garlic
2oz dark chili powder
2oz paprika
1T Dried Oregano

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix together. Rub pork 4-24 hrs prior to cooking.

This can be used for all pork not just pork butt. I cook the pork but at 150 degrees for 12-13 hrs :)

This is a great recipe - mine is nearly identical.

Take this finished pork butt one step further (Brandon, you probably already do this) - shred it up with a couple of forks, with which to make great pulled pork bunwiches, using kaiser rolls, or your favorite type of bun, pitas, whatever:

Here's a great sauce for pulled pork, Memphis-style:
-1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 tspns worcestershire sauce
- 2 tspns lemon juice
- 1 tspn balsamic vinegar
- 1 tspn hot mustard
- 1 tspn of your favorite hot sauce

(If it's a little too thick for your liking, to drizzle well, then add a little water to the sauce).

Mix these ingredients well together, heat the mixture to the boiling point, and stir in about 1/3 of it, into a large bowlful of the already pulled pork. Warm the pork up a little if need be.
Retain the rest as extra sauce for those who like their bunwiches 'slurpier', so they can spoon it on, or it can be used as a dipping sauce for the bunwiches, much as you do with beef dip.

discuspaul
08-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Wow, I'm not meaning to monopolize this thread - but here's a little 'food for thought' - no pun intended !

For those of you who have been following this thread, and are perhaps looking for something specific for your kitchen recipes arsenal, I thought i'd provide a listing of some of my very best favorite recipes - so that if if you see anything you may be really interested in, just say so, and I'll post the recipe.

Italian:
- Osso Bucco - ( a little labor-intensive, but something you'd pay a lot of $$ for in a fine dining Italian restaurant).
- Veal Canneloni w/white sauce - (again, labor-intensive, but many of my guests have claimed it's "to die for").
- Lasagna - ( but a different model from the norm)
- Spaghetti sauce & meatballs - ( nothing unique, but off the usual beaten path).

Greek:
- Saganaki prawns - superb greek dish
- Souvlaki - chicken, pork, or shrimp.
- Tiropita - feather-light cheese puffs
- Spanakopita- tasty spinach/cheese puff pastry accompaniment
- Moussaka - a great veggie side dish
- Tzatziki - flavorful dipping sauce
- Baklava - supreme greek dessert

Other favored dishes:
- Rack of Lamb with wonderful marinade
- Baby Back Ribs - glazing sauce of a different kind
- Singaporean Chicken Curry
- Chicken or shrimp Enchilidas
- Braised brisket w/bourbon & peach glaze
- Duck a l' Orange
- Marinade for grilled prawns
- Spanish sauce for veal or pork cutlets.

Hope you find something here that you'd like a good recipe for.
Can you tell yet, that I love to cook, and eat !! LOL
And can you also tell, that I have nothing better to do just now ? My bad !

Poco
09-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Paul, I tried your wings recipe and loved it. Thanks again for sharing.

discuspaul
09-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Very happy to see this thread revived.

Thanks, Poco. I love it too, & make it often.

Which brings me to another recipe-related subject:
Like Brandon said earlier, I too don't mind sharing my best kitchen secrets with others, and here's the best secret I have in my arsenal - it's a cook book, but like no other cookbook I've ever used (and I've had plenty!)

For all you folks who really like to bbq, grill, or use a smoker, here is the very best cookbook you'll ever buy - and worth every penny of the approx. $20. it will cost you at a good book store, or ordered on line:

It's 'Weber's Charcoal Grilling' - titled " The Art of Cooking with Live Fire", by Jamie Purviance.

115 fully illustrated recipes of the very best BBG grill recipes, which are just as equally scrumptious done in the oven/stovetop.

I've tried at least 35 of the 115 recipes so far, and none have rated less than a B+ !!
My Thai Wings and Scallops Vera Cruz recipes posted earlier (slightly modified by me) have come out of this book.
And the lamb kebabs are simply outstanding !

Buy it - it will be the best cookbook you will ever have invested in - superb !

strawberryblonde
09-30-2012, 02:37 AM
Time to close out this thread and start a new one for October...wheeeeee!

If you're looking for all of the September recipes, you can find them in my "Sticky" section (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?99435-September-Recipes). =)