PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Fry Size

Second Hand Pat
08-30-2012, 01:37 PM
So have a question for you experienced breeders, how do you maintain an uniform fry/juvie size across a batch of babies. I suspect tank size and number of babies have a strong influence with WC and feeding schedule being another with a fine balance across all four.

Trier20
08-30-2012, 10:14 PM
You weren't kidding were you :)

Second Hand Pat
08-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Nope :D could be that there is no simple answer.

Trier20
08-30-2012, 10:26 PM
They could be like us. Some grow faster, larger, more uniform and better looking :) lol

Second Hand Pat
08-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Could be but I remember Kraig commenting on how uniform the contest fry he got from Martha were so there is a science to it.

Trier20
08-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Lets hope Martha spills the beans :)

Keith Perkins
08-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Separating fry by size as they grow is one way that is suppose to help. Personally I've never tried it, but if it helps.

Second Hand Pat
08-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Separating fry by size as they grow is one way that is suppose to help. Personally I've never tried it, but if it helps.

Keith, I can see that working with a good sized batch. But what about smaller batches?

Bill63SG
08-30-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't know.Cross your fingers.On my first batch with my melons,I think I pulled 18,and about 14 turned out nice.

Discus Origins
08-31-2012, 12:25 AM
Could be but I remember Kraig commenting on how uniform the contest fry he got from Martha were so there is a science to it.

I'm not sure how Martha does it.....but in my experience crowding them keeps them more uniform than trying to raise a spawn starting in a large tank. I have raised 100+ to 1" in a 29gallon tank before culling some and moving them to a 55 gallon. Then approximately 60-75 can be raised to 2" in the 55g tank before the second cull and separating 20 into each 55 gallon grow out. Normally most of the juvies would be sold at at that point and only ones being kept for future brood stock kept at 8-10 per 55 gallon tank.

Of course in order to do this the breeder must be committed to a strict WC schedule. All my grow out tanks receive at least two 90% WC per day up to 1" and then daily 90% WC from 2" up. I didn't get many days off when there was fry to raise :)

So that's my 2 cents :) there's still going to be a few brutes and runts with this method but I've always found 80-90% of the spawn will be very even in size.

nc0gnet0
08-31-2012, 02:18 AM
+1

pcsb23
08-31-2012, 04:52 AM
Agree with Mark & Rick - keep the fry density high in the grow out tanks, frequent and regular feeding and even more importantly water changes and wipe downs!

mmorris
08-31-2012, 07:15 AM
I also feed tons of bbs multiple times a day, freshly hatched twice a day, for as long as the fry will look at it. I wonder how many people hatch out the bbs twice a day?

nc0gnet0
08-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Martha, I hatch mine out three times a day. I also find that leaving the fry with the parents for as long as possible helps keep things even and healthy.

Rick

Skip
08-31-2012, 07:59 AM
I also feed tons of bbs multiple times a day, freshly hatched twice a day, for as long as the fry will look at it. I wonder how many people hatch out the bbs twice a day?

i thought everyone did.. and that was the whole point of BBS.. have two hatches.. 12 hrs apart.. ?!

Keith Perkins
08-31-2012, 08:18 AM
I think I do most everything Mark, Rick, Paul, and Martha have suggested here, guess I've been listening better than I thought because I thought that stuff was just normal. :)

Skip - I don't think it's that uncommon to find first time/new breeders who try to shortcut on making bbs and only make one container a day.

Skip
08-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Skip - I don't think it's that uncommon to find first time/new breeders who try to shortcut on making bbs and only make one container a day.

awww.. i c

Second Hand Pat
08-31-2012, 08:26 AM
The two batches of F1 Tefe fry which were in with the parents four weeks (first batch) and six weeks (second batch) were beautifully uniform in size when I removed them from the parents. I did one large hatch a day, harvested the shrimp at 24 hours, used what I needed for one or two feedings (evening after work) and placed the rest in the refrig (help maintain the nutritional value). I would feed once before going to work, have hubby feed twice during the day.

Keep in mind this is with a full time job and 60 hour work week.

So I find after the fry are separated from the parents so where the fry grow at different rates. I most likely hurt myself by putting the fry in 40 breeders (maintain water quality during the work day) instead of something smaller and my batches have been small. (42 and 22). So perhaps I am bounded by not being at home during the day. Generally I can not compliant with my approach as I had have minimum fry deaths for a beginner at this. 4 in the first batch and 5 in the second.

BUT what about maintaining uniformity as the fry grow?...bin-ing them by size in the grow out tanks as Kraig suggests?

Second Hand Pat
08-31-2012, 08:27 AM
I think I do most everything Mark, Rick, Paul, and Martha have suggested here, guess I've been listening better than I thought because I thought that stuff was just normal. :)

Like me :o

John_Nicholson
08-31-2012, 09:16 AM
It is really not that hard. First everyone that has raised very many fry hatches BBS twice a day. It is as common as sliced bread. Second you simply start with healthy parents, overfeed the fry, but also keep the water clean. That is where the work and skill come into play. Also there is no need to feed 6 to 8 times a day like some people on here say. You can feed 2 large feedings a day and one or two light feedings a day and grow fry out to full potential. The key is to over feed on the big feedings so that every fry gets its fill. You just cannot lose your water quality while doing this.

-john

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/contestfish.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/Fish%2003-11/DSC00200.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/Fish%2003-11/P1010055-3.jpg

mmorris
08-31-2012, 08:31 PM
I suspect very few people hatch out twice a day. Noone I know in my local clubs do that I know of.

Keith Perkins
08-31-2012, 08:32 PM
I suspect very few people hatch out twice a day. Noone I know in my local clubs do that I know of.

You don't mentor locally? :)

mmorris
08-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Teaching implies learning. If noone learns, is anyone teaching?

Keith Perkins
08-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Oh Martha, I know you're responsible for way more people doing two a day hatches in the Midwest than you'll ever know. I've been passing on your wisdom on hatching bbs whenever the opportunity arises.

John_Nicholson
08-31-2012, 10:00 PM
I find that odd. It has been the standard elsewhere for decades.

-john

Keith Perkins
08-31-2012, 10:05 PM
We're getting old John.

John_Nicholson
08-31-2012, 10:09 PM
LOL....I know for a fact that I am...

For the most part I have owned/raised some sort of fish for the last 39 years of my life......

-john

mmorris
09-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Oh Martha, I know you're responsible for way more people doing two a day hatches in the Midwest than you'll ever know. I've been passing on your wisdom on hatching bbs whenever the opportunity arises.
You are a good friend, Keith. :)