PDA

View Full Version : Fish that won't eat

David1972
08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Every now and then I buy a few fish and one or two out of the bunch won't eat. I've had this one discus that was healthy but slowly I noticed it getting thin because the others picked on it being the smallest in the tank. I've isolated it for more than ten days and still seems to be getting thinner and sickly looking. It had worms once and treated it with prazi. This morning I quarantined it again because it simply just swims in the corner or at the top of the tank hiding. I put food right in front and it tries to eat but with feable attempt takes a peck at the food, spirulina brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, Ken's flake food. Eyes are bulging out. I'm pretty sure it's a goner this weekend but wanted to know if there's any way to get a fish that won't eat to eat?

Skip
08-31-2012, 09:33 AM
could be time to cull it.. put it out of misery..

Poco
08-31-2012, 09:35 AM
You need to fill in the questionnaire and post it here so people can help you.

General rule fish just don't stop eating without any reason, there is alway an underlying reason (decease, water quality etc).

Eddie
08-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Every now and then I buy a few fish and one or two out of the bunch won't eat. I've had this one discus that was healthy but slowly I noticed it getting thin because the others picked on it being the smallest in the tank. I've isolated it for more than ten days and still seems to be getting thinner and sickly looking. It had worms once and treated it with prazi. This morning I quarantined it again because it simply just swims in the corner or at the top of the tank hiding. I put food right in front and it tries to eat but with feable attempt takes a peck at the food, spirulina brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, Ken's flake food. Eyes are bulging out. I'm pretty sure it's a goner this weekend but wanted to know if there's any way to get a fish that won't eat to eat?

Prazi is a pretty restrictive med/chemical being effective primarily on tapeworms and some effectiveness on flukes. When a fish has gone off food completely it can sometimes be related to internal flagellates for which a good course of action would be treatment with Metronidazole.