PDA

View Full Version : BH bits

Tommy Saville
09-02-2012, 06:00 AM
I break some "rules" because I like to see my Discus in planted tanks. I know that this gives rise to possible pollution from BH bits hiding in the gravel. I hoover the gravel about twice a week and 50% wc weekly. Does anyone know of a brand of BH that is less likely to produce the offending bits? I usually cut 2cm-square pieces of the frozen BH, defrost for a few minutes and put in the tanks. The fish rip them to bits at once. I have used Taylor's (smells of garlic), Francis Hu's (Chen), and C.E. - maybe I should make my own? There are plenty of published recipes. But being a stranger to the kitchen, I don't really understand whether to mince the ingredients or blend or what...and is it best to cook the meats?
I've been keeping tropical fish for 70 years (I'm now 88) but my Discus experience is only 3 months....need as much help as I can get..Tommy Saville

Eddie
09-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Hello Tommy! Nice to meet you. Something else that will help is keeping the chunk frozen when you put them in the tank. Defrosting them can cause the food to fall apart and spread quickly. And as you mentioned, making your own food will definitely help. Lost of different recipes on here but its quite simple, you can choose some meats/fish/shellfish, decent calcium rich veggie, chopped garlic and a multivitamin. I prefer to process my veggies in a food processor and mince the meat in meat grinder using the finer attachment. Then I mix the 2 portions together, toss it in a freezer bag and into the freezer. Et viola

Tommy Saville
09-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Thanks Eddie for your quick reply. "Muchas gracias!!" (I think I should have entered this thread in the Foods section, but I guess it does have a connection with water quality..) I was a bit wary of putting the frozen BH in the tank, wondering if it would affect the fishes' stomachs. I'll do as you suggest...Also I'll investigate home manufacture, asking my wife the difference between a processor and a grinder !!

Eddie
09-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Food processor
http://www.bestfoodprocessors.org/wp-content/uploads/braun-foodprocessor.jpg

Meat Grinder
http://homemade-sausage.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/1.jpg

Tommy Saville
09-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Eddie, how helpful, even to someone as stupid as me ! Pictures ! Can't go wrong. I just called my wife in the room to have a look and she tells me that we have both piece of equipment. Off to the shops as soon as I get rid of this bad cold. The local butcher is always very helpful, I'm sure he will take all the nasty unwanteds off the heart.

Moon
09-02-2012, 10:14 AM
frozen BH mix will thaw instantly when it hits 84 degree water. I've been doing it for years with no issues.

Tommy Saville
09-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for boosting my confidence ! I'll do it !