PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me! Cobolt Blue Discus Very Ill or Dying?!

SabrinaA3232
09-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Hi there,
So I have a fairly new discus and I have NO IDEA WHAT IS HAPPENING TO HIM! He is our first discus so I dont know too much about them other then the general info and what they like/need generally. We have had him for just under a month now.
Starting last night we noticed that our discus was acting very strange. He started seizing up and curling his body (head almost touching tail). He would shake slightly while he was doing this, then he would started spinning around and around, and then he sinks to the bottom of the tank, uncurls himself slowly, then swims away slowly. At different times he would splash around on the top of the water on his side. He did it numerous times and he is doing it today also. After he is done the seizure type movements, he will float off slowly, hide, and tilt somewhat sideways. He is nowwimming around in circles on his side and freaking out. He is breathing out of both gills and not having breathing problems so it cannot be gill flukes. I havent seen him eat or go to the bathroom since mid-day yesterday.
I not sure why this is happening, as he has always been fine before and nothing in the tank has changed. Only thing that is fairly new is that one of our fish had a wound from a bite or something so we added ONE dose of Melafix to the tank.
Tank size is 80 gallons and is in no way overcrowded. He is in with mostly mollies and plecos, with a few tetras, female bettas and 2 very docile med-large angelfish (I know they shouldnt be together but they actually ignore eachother, we made sure they would be ok together first).
He is our only discus, but I know they prefer to be in schools. We are looking into getting a few more.
Water parameters are fine in the tank. 81* F, no ammonia, pH is at 7.0. Nitrites are at 0 and Nitrates are at 0 due to lots of plants ect.
We have 4 different filters in the tank, so we had very good filtration. We do weekly water changes.

Any help would be appreciated. We are very worried about our poor discus and dont know what to do... =(

Swancici
09-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Please fill out the questionare. It's on the top of the page that has big red letters that say before.

Eddie
09-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Please fill out the questionare. It's on the top of the page that has big red letters that say before.

+1