PDA

View Full Version : What's the best food to grow out young Discus

timmy82
09-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi alll I am just wondering what everyone has found to be the best food to grow out young discus on?

Wes
09-09-2012, 06:14 PM
newly hatched brine shrimp 1st then beef heart or beaf heart mix and a good flake, frozen or/and freeze dried black worms.

Skip
09-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Water changes 2x day.. is better then the food :)

variety is good.. but WC is also needed..

dprais1
09-09-2012, 06:59 PM

+1

'Better' is relative. if you are doing daily 200% wc or weekly 50% will give you different answers.

Oscarsx
09-09-2012, 08:37 PM

Jjhhhjf Cfffgfgfdjyc. 1
Q
Py

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

BobDaniel
09-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I think a combination of high protein foods combined with good filtration and frequent water changes AND no illnessnes will help achieve maximum growth.

bornlooser
09-10-2012, 02:55 AM
'The frequency of water change depends on the density of fry (how many in how much water) the type of filtration and the frequency of feeding.Also the type of food being fed also determines the quality of water. Statements like "2x water change day.... is better than food"...can be misleading.I feed my fry only beef heart mix once removed from the parents..and change water only 100% per day..they are growing pretty fast.

Skip
09-10-2012, 07:52 AM
'The frequency of water change depends on the density of fry (how many in how much water) the type of filtration and the frequency of feeding.Also the type of food being fed also determines the quality of water. Statements like "2x water change day.... is better than food"...can be misleading.I feed my fry only beef heart mix once removed from the parents..and change water only 100% per day..they are growing pretty fast.

looser..........

the point is that its just not food alone..

its Food in conjunction with water change frequency..

once again.. op.. Variety is food and Water change Frequency will give some great growth.. look at strawberryblonde's monsters.. basic flakes and bh from lfs.. with 2 x day water changes.. all her fish are over 7.5"

bornlooser
09-10-2012, 10:04 AM
warlock....
Dont we all know that its not food alone!....making blanket statements like "'2x water changes per day "' without taking other factors is not a fair reply from a senior member.Statements like this will only discourage new hobbyists.I dont think that an average hobbyist needs to do 2x water changes per day to raise decent fish.That s wasting a lot of resources..time , water and money.Look at the Stendker web site about water changes.

www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/518,0,contact,index,0.html

Dont they grow large fish?

Eddie
09-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi alll I am just wondering what everyone has found to be the best food to grow out young discus on?

Clarify young? Seems everyone here thinks you are referring to fry. As far as food, everyone has there preference on what is the best foods for growing out juvenile (young) discus. Some use live foods, others use homemade or store bought mixes and some use only processed foods such pellets and flakes.

Myself, I find young discus respond well to a homemade mix and its also a good way to supplement vitamins and minerals into their diet.

Larry Grenier
09-10-2012, 11:56 AM
warlock....
Dont we all know that its not food alone!....making blanket statements like "'2x water changes per day "' without taking other factors is not a fair reply from a senior member.Statements like this will only discourage new hobbyists.I dont think that an average hobbyist needs to do 2x water changes per day to raise decent fish.That s wasting a lot of resources..time , water and money.Look at the Stendker web site about water changes.

Good point

Skip
09-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Ur right looser

Im wrong..

Op disregard my post.. I dont know what I am talkin about.. Listen to looser

Eddie
09-10-2012, 12:37 PM
warlock....

Just to clarify, the Stendker website does not differentiate juvenile discus from adult in there reference to water changes. I'm not saying that water changes are relevant to this thread, which they aren't but on the Stendker website, it doesn't state whether is applicable to adults or young.

It's true though, some people change minimal water and some lots. Its really a preference.

strawberryblonde
09-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Just to clarify, the Stendker website does not differentiate juvenile discus from adult in there reference to water changes. I'm not saying that water changes are relevant to this thread, which they aren't but on the Stendker website, it doesn't state whether is applicable to adults or young.

It's true though, some people change minimal water and some lots. Its really a preference.

+1 and +1 again. lol

I'd noticed on the Stendker site that they don't mention water changes for specific ages of discus. Then again, they also advise putting 10-12 discus in a 47 gallon tank and I just can't imagine trying to keep up the cleanliness with that kind of a crowd of fish in there.

It should also be noted that they use Hamburg Matten filters on their tanks. That's a HUGE surface area for bio filtration and most of us don't have that advantage in our own tanks. I'm thinking that even if they are only doing one water change per week, they are probably syphoning out feces and leftover bits of food from the tanks more often than that. But again, they don't really give that information.

For food, I prefer feeding smaller amounts of a variety of foods several times a day. My discus love discus flakes, spirulina flakes, tetra bits for that extra bit of crunch, FDBW's and frozen beefheart cubes.

Oh and yep, I'm the one who does twice a day water changes when I'm growing out young discus. I have no science to back me up, it just is what works for me and I don't consider that extra water in my garden to be a waste of resources at all.

Skip
09-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Oh and yep, I'm the one who does twice a day water changes when I'm growing out young discus. I have no science to back me up, it just is what works for me and I don't consider that extra water in my garden to be a waste of resources at all.

your results was enough for me.. and i am following your model with my CONTEST FRY :) :)

i don't need no science back up... the size and growth of your fish was all i needed to know and see :)

Oscarsx
09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
X2 wcs a day make my weeds grow bigger than my discus.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

bermyguy
09-11-2012, 06:01 PM
But don't forget the question, the poster wanted to know the best food to grow them out.

Skip
09-11-2012, 06:23 PM
But don't forget the question, the poster wanted to know the best food to grow them out.

VARIETY!!!!!!!!!!!

PAR23
09-11-2012, 06:50 PM

IMO/E, nothing beats home made BH mix. It really helps them put on the size.

As mentioned above, clean water and high quality food are important but GENETICS trump all other variables. If they are "programmed" to become giants, then they will with good care.

Wes
09-11-2012, 08:45 PM

newly hatched brine shrimp 1st then beef heart or beaf heart mix and a good flake, frozen or/and freeze dried black worms.
+1

Eddie
09-11-2012, 09:03 PM
IMO/E, nothing beats home made BH mix. It really helps them put on the size.

+1

timmy82
11-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Great feed back Discus lovers. Where I was starting at is from free swimmers up. I have 45 tanks mainly discus hooked up to an auto water change setup via an irrigation controler. So I can dial up how ever many changes a day I want. At the minute the free swimmers from the Pigeon SS are still feeding on the parents and I am topping them up with newly hatched BBS. They starting to get about more so have got micro worms on the go but yet to try them with the micro worms. All my others get a good BH mix at night then in morning what ever I pull off the shelf either high protien flake, Sera discus granuals, blood worm or Dried black worm. Does any one use and see the results from Andrew Soh Pro Grow & Pro More? I am currently looking for a supplier in Australia or close to that i can buy off.

Thanks for the great feed back....

sam86
11-05-2012, 02:19 PM
I've been feeding my guys flakes and mainly freeze dried bw. Dunno if that's ideal or not...

Rex82
05-09-2013, 09:26 AM
I found the pro-more and pro-growth to be overrated, didn't see any difference in growth in comparison to normal feed and didn't see any difference in breeding activity or batch sizes.
I like brine shrimp as a first food from parents moving onto fine beefheart mix and FDBW. 2x water changes a day does make all the difference though.

DiscusLoverJeff
05-09-2013, 11:53 AM
I found the pro-more and pro-growth to be overrated, didn't see any difference in growth in comparison to normal feed and didn't see any difference in breeding activity or batch sizes.
I like brine shrimp as a first food from parents moving onto fine beefheart mix and FDBW. 2x water changes a day does make all the difference though.

+1

Although its an older post, good point made.