PDA

View Full Version : Discus after water change?

Woodsy
09-10-2012, 01:54 AM
When i do my weekly 25% water changes, all i do is dechlorinate the tap water into the tank. Over the course of an hour or two my PH rises from 6.0-6.4, and gradually lowers back down to 6.0 a few more hours later (my tap ph is around 6.8-7.0). During the water change my Discus hide in the corner, and their colours don't seem to completely darken. After about an hour or two they are back to normal eating, very active, greeting me at the front of the tank and their colours are very bright.

Is my routine alright?

strawberryblonde
09-10-2012, 04:24 AM
Hi Woodsy,

I know you have issues with the pH shift in your discus tank and the only thing I can tell is what I've been saying right along. Change at least 50% of the water every day and the pH will stabilize and stop dropping so low.

Once a week at 25% isn't enough for discus to remain healthy for very long, and it's not good for the pH in the tank. Once you've increased the water changes I think you'll find that your discus react much better to water change time and don't hide in a corner anymore.

Poco
09-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Is my routine alright?

Blunt answer....NO!

Do what Toni is saying and you will be ok.

BobDaniel
09-10-2012, 09:51 AM
I do one big water change or if/when am able I do two each day. I like to have the water clean as possible and no debris on the bottom of the aquarium. A couple times a week I will go 80%. My fish will often swim around and feed during the water changes. You should give it a try.

PAR23
09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
When i do my weekly 25% water changes, all i do is dechlorinate the tap water into the tank. Over the course of an hour or two my PH rises from 6.0-6.4, and gradually lowers back down to 6.0 a few more hours later (my tap ph is around 6.8-7.0). During the water change my Discus hide in the corner, and their colours don't seem to completely darken. After about an hour or two they are back to normal eating, very active, greeting me at the front of the tank and their colours are very bright.

Is my routine alright?

Just curious how big is your tank and how many fish do you have in it (also their size) and do you have decors in the tank.

The initial increase in pH is from CO2 being gassed off and then the subsequent decrease in pH is from whatever decors/filter media you are using.

Eddie
09-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I would age your water prior to changing to make it match the tank water. The less stress on the fish, the better.