PDA

View Full Version : Media bottles

Chicago Discus
09-11-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm leaving this space available for people that bought the media for the bottles to post a photos of their creation......thanks Josie

fdlacy
09-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Josie:

First, thanks for the great deal on the K1 media and instructional video. Well, I made mine and it has been in the tank for about 5 days, waiting for it to get gross. Only suggestion I have after watching your video is to make the top holes higher as the height of these top holes govern the max height the media will tumble. If they are too low, the top of the bottle will simply fill with air, but the media obviously will remain at the water line governed by these top holes.

Here is a short video of mine installed in my adult tank. I will be making a 2nd one for my juvie tank shortly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b66aHeVlZco

Cheer,
Darren

Chicago Discus
09-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Josie:

First, thanks for the great deal on the K1 media and instructional video. Well, I made mine and it has been in the tank for about 5 days, waiting for it to get gross. Only suggestion I have after watching your video is to make the top holes higher as the height of these top holes govern the max height the media will tumble. If they are too low, the top of the bottle will simply fill with air, but the media obviously will remain at the water line governed by these top holes.

Here is a short video of mine installed in my adult tank. I will be making a 2nd one for my juvie tank shortly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b66aHeVlZco

Cheer,
Darren

Darren I love it great job it should get nice and nasty soon enough LOL.......Josie P.S. cant wait to see the babies

aztecdiscus
09-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Wats that media nd wt its for? Where can I gt it

Chicago Discus
09-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Wats that media nd wt its for? Where can I gt it

Kay I sell the media http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98433-K1-media

fdlacy
09-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Darren I love it great job it should get nice and nasty soon enough LOL.......Josie P.S. cant wait to see the babies

Thanks Josie. I would love to get some babies out of this group. 3 of these I just got from Sean a few weeks ago (ZX10R on SD). The MR I have had for about 8 months (fish from Hans) and the CBP I bought from Kenny back in June and he grew so fast, I had to remove him and put him in with these fish to keep the game fair. He is the smallest of this group, but he holds his own. The cone I picked up from Barb at NADA ATL. Its mostly in the tank for WTH effect at this point, but you never know what could happen. I have the RO ready in case anybody gets frisky.

Cheers,
Darren

aztecdiscus
09-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Wt is it for wt it does?

fdlacy
09-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Wt is it for wt it does?

Kay:

This Kaldnes media is used in fluidized bed filters for aquaria and municipal applications. See links below:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1797/Kaldnes-Media
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFQBMDQIdwQ

Cheers,
Darren

aztecdiscus
09-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Niceeee ,, so we can use to prodice nitrifying bacteria like the one that grows on filters but without the need of washing it

DLock3d
09-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Where can I get the damn suction cups. The best I've found so far are from home depot and the nipples on the back are too big imo.

magewynd
09-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Try the four packs from KensFish under the Eheim section in the "Replacement parts & fittings" They are the ones for the heaters. You'll need to drill a 1/2" hole to make these work.

Chicago Discus
09-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Where can I get the damn suction cups. The best I've found so far are from home depot and the nipples on the back are too big imo.

Dan I got them from home depot very cheap......Josie

DLock3d
09-12-2012, 10:23 PM
I got mine from home depot too but I don't believe they're the same as yours. I'll have to do more scouting.

DLock3d
09-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Try the four packs from KensFish under the Eheim section in the "Replacement parts & fittings" They are the ones for the heaters. You'll need to drill a 1/2" hole to make these work.

Thanks Steve, seems feasible if I can't find something local.

daffyfish
09-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Have one one my discus tank. Wiil try to get pics, this weekend.
I am experimenting with integrating two with an UG filter.
You can kind of see it running, in this video.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr325/daffypictures/aquariums/bettabarracks.mp4
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr325/daffypictures/aquariums/bettabarracks.mp4

Chicago Discus
09-13-2012, 07:14 AM

Love the old tan and yes I can see the media going thats great.....josie

daffyfish
09-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Love the old tan and yes I can see the media going thats great.....josie

Thanks. I enjoy bringing new life into the old metaframe and pemco tanks. Looking forward to seeing how well this K1 does.

Chicago Discus
09-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks. I enjoy bringing new life into the old metaframe and pemco tanks. Looking forward to seeing how well this K1 does.

You'll love it :) .........Josie

jamiegt
09-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Where is the original video you posted with the instructions on how you made your filter? I watched it and now that I want to build one I cannot find it. Thanks.

jamiegt
09-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Nevermind. Found it. Its a great idea and easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

Chicago Discus
09-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Nevermind. Found it. Its a great idea and easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

glad you found it:) .......Josie

drew22to375
09-21-2012, 05:06 PM
glad you found it:) .......Josie

Where is this video I would like to see it.

Kal-El
09-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Since I did this K1 media bottle my water is always crystal clear... Best thing I've done to help keep good bacteria and clean clear water. All thanks to Josie for sharing the video.

Chicago Discus
09-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Since I did this K1 media bottle my water is always crystal clear... Best thing I've done to help keep good bacteria and clean clear water. All thanks to Josie for sharing the video.

Awwww thanks I'm glad it's working good for you....:).josie

drew22to375
09-22-2012, 07:39 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98431-Crystal-Clear

Thank You.

korbi_doc
09-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Ok Josie, boy, must've missed this one...the video seems clear, but, is this supposed to be an adjunct to our AC filters & sponge filters or in place of? What is the long term on these? Replace'm when the bottle falls apart, or does the media disintegrate? Is the media plastic?..are these just soda bottles? does color matter? (prob not, lol).....Just wondering since I totally was not on the planet when you proposed'm, lol.........Tia

Dottie

Chicago Discus
09-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Ok Josie, boy, must've missed this one...the video seems clear, but, is this supposed to be an adjunct to our AC filters & sponge filters or in place of? What is the long term on these? Replace'm when the bottle falls apart, or does the media disintegrate? Is the media plastic?..are these just soda bottles? does color matter? (prob not, lol).....Just wondering since I totally was not on the planet when you proposed'm, lol.........Tia

Dottie

both media and bottle are made of plastic so falling apart is not an option for this material LOL...Once the media is seeded I replace the sponge filter with the bottle it cuts my cleaning down considerably and keeps the tank nice and cycled with all the water changes.....Josie

P.S. i like using the clear bottles as to see the progress of seeding going on in the bottle.....

cooksa
09-29-2012, 10:05 AM
For Josie! :) You can see my K1 filter (I stuck the seeded sponge on the end to help with seeding the media. Thinking I'll just leave it there) and my Floras on a small clutch. They should start to wiggle today.

URG...Can't get the video to imbed in the post, so I'll just leave it as a llink...

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x144/fozzie04/?action=view&current=E867ECB6-5B54-4EA7-9C10-AA536FE14D41-3715-000002F4403DF540.mp4

Chicago Discus
09-29-2012, 10:39 AM
For Josie! :) You can see my K1 filter (I stuck the seeded sponge on the end to help with seeding the media. Thinking I'll just leave it there) and my Floras on a small clutch. They should start to wiggle today.

URG...Can't get the video to imbed in the post, so I'll just leave it as a llink...

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x144/fozzie04/?action=view¤t=E867ECB6-5B54-4EA7-9C10-AA536FE14D41-3715-000002F4403DF540.mp4

They look great Love the wigglers and what a great idea with the sponge connected to the bottle you rock......Josie

korbi_doc
09-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks Josie, anything that helps with cleaning is needed here, lol.....not up to the task these days, but still tryin'......& I love the idea of hookin' up to the sponge filter like that cooksa...I'll have to order soon & give it a try.....

Dottie

daffyfish
10-07-2012, 03:29 PM
I have had my bottle going for about a month now. The K1 is still white? Does that mean there is no bacteria present?
Thanks

Chicago Discus
10-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I have had my bottle going for about a month now. The K1 is still white? Does that mean there is no bacteria present?
Thanks

no LOL...it just means that you have great tank husbandry.....just keep it up it will turn to a light grey......Josie

Cosgrovb
10-07-2012, 09:33 PM
How is the K1 media different than bio balls?

Chicago Discus
10-07-2012, 09:36 PM
How is the K1 media different than bio balls?

K1 is vey buoyant in water and bio balls usually float or sink.

Cosgrovb
10-07-2012, 09:41 PM
K1 floats at all times? Point of the media is to clarify water? Denitrify?

Has anyone who switched from sponge to bottle with k1 tested water? How does it deal with ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

Chicago Discus
10-07-2012, 09:47 PM

Has anyone who switched from sponge to bottle with k1 tested water? How does it deal with ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

well I have switched all my grow-outs to K1 bottles and have had no issues with ammonia or mini cycles like i did get when i had the sponge filter

Cosgrovb
10-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Hmmmm. I like the concept! How long in action?

Chicago Discus
10-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Hmmmm. I like the concept! How long in action?

are you asking how long have I been using the bottles? about 4 months

Cosgrovb
10-08-2012, 11:33 PM
How big can a bottle be? Can I use the setup on a 5 tank system that I built with a sump?

Chicago Discus
10-09-2012, 04:46 PM
How big can a bottle be? Can I use the setup on a 5 tank system that I built with a sump?

Yes put a bottle in each tank that's how I do it...works good and no need for nasty sponge filters but make sure the media is cycled or throw some pure products in the bottle hope ths helps..........Josie

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-14-2012, 04:37 PM

K1 Kaldnes media has been around for a little while now in the commercial waste water, and now aquaculture industry. It is immensely popular due to it's high specific surface area (250ft²/ft³), installation requirements (non-pressurized, submerged, slightly buoyant media), and it's high performance. They are meant to be kept in constant motion via fine bubble aeration. This constant motion of the media keeps the bacterial film thin on the surface, which allows the bacteria easy access to the dissolved oxygen in the water, and obviously the nitrogen (ammonia, nitrite).

-Ryan

Larry Bugg
02-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Better late than never............................ok so I bought the K1 media from Josie back in August of last year and I'm just now getting around to using it. I completed 5 bottles today and installed them in my breeding tanks. I have the pairs in 40 gallon tanks and when they parents and fry are ready to be separated I pull the parents from the tank so these become the grow out tanks. After a month or so I plan on pulling the sponge filters out of the tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csnJ93nKBLY&feature=youtu.be

Chicago Discus
02-26-2013, 01:31 AM
Better late than never............................ok so I bought the K1 media from Josie back in August of last year and I'm just now getting around to using it. I completed 5 bottles today and installed them in my breeding tanks. I have the pairs in 40 gallon tanks and when they parents and fry are ready to be separated I pull the parents from the tank so these become the grow out tanks. After a month or so I plan on pulling the sponge filters out of the tanks.

You will love the way it works. Just give it some time to seed up and what a difference it makes....josie
PS. great Discus Larry

SMB2
02-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Larry,
The media seems to be 'caked' at the top of some of the bottles. Does it all have to be moving like in Josie's original video? Can you have to much media in the bottle?

Chicago Discus
02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Larry,
The media seems to be 'caked' at the top of some of the bottles. Does it all have to be moving like in Josie's original video? Can you have to much media in the bottle?

Stan I think its because he just started the bottle it usually takes a little while to get going once the media becomes saturated.....Josie

Larry Bugg
02-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Stan I thinks its because he just started the bottle it usually takes a little while to get going once the media becomes saturated.....Josie

That's it exactly Josie. I had just started them.

SMB2
02-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks.
Is there a volume (#cups) of media for volume being filtered?

Chicago Discus
02-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks.
Is there a volume (#cups) of media for volume being filtered?

I usually fill the bottle up with two cups of media per 1.5 liter bottle.......josie

0Dgreen
02-26-2013, 11:08 AM
The ratio should be about 60percent media to 40percent water. So your bottle should be about 60 percent filled with k1. Also if it seems to be getting stuck at the top try putting it on an angle instead of completely vertical.

SMB2
02-26-2013, 01:10 PM
That helps, but I didn't phrase it well. How big a bottle for what size tank.

0Dgreen
02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
That helps, but I didn't phrase it well. How big a bottle for what size tank.
there is a whole complicated fomula used to determine the EXACT ammount, however i just use a 1.5L bottle in any size tank. If you have an overstocked or bigger tank you could do 2x 1.5L bottles. The fomula has to do with bioload how many fish and how many gallons if im not mistaken(if you dig a little deeper into K1 research you could find it)