PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on my tap water readings.

lespaul
09-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I am not new to fish but this will be first attempt at having a discus aquarium. I have been researching for weeks about keeping discus and I'm just about ready to get started. My main concern is the water quality coming from my tap. It seems almost ideal but I have a few questions. Would you please take a look at these readings from the local water works and let me know what you think. I have listed the readings I feel apply to discus.

Hardness, 72.40 ppm. from what I have read this would be a 4 on hardness scale and would be considered a good reading.

Alkalinity, 78.00 ppm. again wouldn't this be considered a good reading?

TDS, 90.00 ppm.

Specific conductivity, 192 uS.

PH, 7.32

My questions are: Doesn't the PH level seem high for water this soft? Does it matter to my fish?

Is the alkalinity high enough to keep the PH stable?

I would of course practice the best fish care I can manage. I am planning on a 100 gallon planted tank with 7 discus and low level of good tank mates. Thank you for your time, Lespaul.

Eddie
09-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Have you tried aerating a bucket of water over night and taken a PH reading? It may drop

lespaul
09-11-2012, 01:33 PM
I have not tried that yet but I'll do it tonight. Other than the PH how do you feel about the quality of the water? Is the alkaline level high enough to offer enough buffer to keep the PH reasonable stable?