PDA

View Full Version : GH and KH Values

Mrguppy
09-16-2012, 08:21 AM
:confused:

Hello all,

I'm new to SimplyDiscus and to discus keeping (6 Red Scribble discus), and I would like to say thank you for this web site. I fine this site extremely helpful.

I've read through several discussions relating to GH and KH already posted here, but still have a question.

It seems that there are two different target ranges for GH and KH: one for general discus keeping and one for breeding discus. But, I can't seem to find crystal-clear values for these target ranges.

Therefore, I would like to know, what are the values for both these target ranges?

Second Hand Pat
09-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Welcome to Simply Mrguppy. I think you will find many folks here target TDS and a staple PH. It might be easier for you to tell us about your water and how you manage it, ie do you age it etc...as a starting point.
Pat

jimg
09-16-2012, 10:10 AM
best thing is to spent a lot of time studying what each value is. many sites online explain it. all water is different. understanding water composition and the nitrogen cycle is the most important thing to know about aquariums/fish.

Mrguppy
09-16-2012, 02:16 PM
I have a 75 G aquarium heavly planted with all live plants. The PH = 7.3, GH = 75ppm, KH 300 ppm. My water changes are of RO water with a PH of 6.4 and some well water with a PH of 7.4 ( 1/5 ration = well/RO). I ran out of test solution to obtain the GH / KH for the well and RO water.

My question is, what range for the GH and KH is ideal for the discus?

Thank You,

Orange Crush
09-16-2012, 03:12 PM
best thing is to spent a lot of time studying what each value is. many sites online explain it. all water is different. understanding water composition and the nitrogen cycle is the most important thing to know about aquariums/fish.
+1