PDA

View Full Version : First Discus Tank

SaucyKP
09-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Hello Simply,
I have been lurking around this forum daily for a few months now trying to learn as much as I can about discus. I am not new to aquatics in general, however, this will be my first venture into discus.
First off, “Thank you all!” for all the years of experience. The hard work (water changes), dedication (water changes), setbacks (not enough water changes), and undeniable joys of happy and healthy fish (water changes) that ya’ll share with us beginners gives me no reason whatsoever to not enjoy “the King of the Aquarium” in my own home. With the backing of experts like yourselves, no doubt I will be successful.

SaucyKP
09-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Gonna try to get my post count up so I can post pictures. I’m not a forum regular, so please forgive me if I’m doing this the wrong way. Plus I get longwinded sometimes and anyone interested probably needs a break.
My display tank is just that….a display tank. I am not trying to grow out discus, I would be very content if they stayed the size they are…not trying to stunt them in anyway….I believe I have given them sufficient room to grow but would be happy if they just got fat and didn’t stretch any.  I am not trying to breed discus….I talk to them everyday about the risks and consequences involved with spawning at such a young age. I am not ready to be a grandpa, and I hope my “kids” understand that they have their whole lives ahead of them. Enjoy it, cherish it, live it!

Skip
09-19-2012, 11:40 AM
WELCOME!

SaucyKP
09-19-2012, 11:40 AM
So here are some specifics
240g display tank : My true 3d television! Been sitting in my basement for around a year just aching for some action.
Substrate: Pool filter sand with sections of Flourite
Filtration: I use an FX5 and a Fluval 405 with bio rings and filler wool in both. I also have a sponge filter inside the tank
Lighting: 2 X Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 Quad Lamps
Décor : I have 3 pieces of Manzanita driftwood, a few java ferns, anubias, and amazon swords for roughage. (Mama always said no meal is complete without some veggies)
Maintenance routine: Eheim quick vac pro everyday, 10 minutes max, to pick up big pieces of poopoo (This thing is awesome by the way). Water changes have been 80% every other day (3 days max in between changes). Canister media gets rotated monthly maintenance. Sponge filter gets rinsed with every water change.

SaucyKP
09-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Stocking list: All the discus range in size from 4” to 6” and they come from some guy named Kenny :)
Carnation turquoise X 1
Eruption Leopard X 2
Super Eruption
Penang Eruption X 2
Checkerboard Pigeon X 3
Albino Platinum
Snow White X 2
Albino Red Cover X 2
Red Cover X 2
Discus are all currently in QT and are transitioning very well.
Rummy Nose X 25
Cardinal Tetras X 10
Cory Cats (Sterbai, Julii, and Albino) X 15 (little guys now, will be moved to other tanks if bio load gets to big later on)
BN Pleco X 3
Carassius auratus X 1 (only survivor of the great oscar feeding of 2011 and a favorite of my daughter )
All these other fish have been in tank for 6 weeks now so I can practice my maintenance routines (water changes)
Everybody gets combinations of beefheart flakes, tropical flakes, and pellets daily with a nightly treat of Al’s FDBW or frozen BW.

SaucyKP
09-19-2012, 11:42 AM
I would love to have suggestions, compliments, and critiques specific to my tank and setup. Thanks again for all the resources y’all have provided me, and I know I’ll be looking for your expertise a ton as I continue in the Discus World. And as soon as I can I will be posting some pictures.

SaucyKP
09-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks Skip! See I been lurking like I said, talking to him like I know him already. Hehe

Skip
09-19-2012, 11:48 AM
I would love to have suggestions, compliments, and critiques specific to my tank and setup. Thanks again for all the resources y’all have provided me, and I know I’ll be looking for your expertise a ton as I continue in the Discus World. And as soon as I can I will be posting some pictures.

looks good.. Carry on..

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/7/2007/02/medium_Tim%20Gunn2.jpg

bogia99
09-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Lighting: 2 X Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 Quad Lamps <- talk to reef people for light bulbs that bring out the best color of your fishes. And maybe just 1-6500K for the plant.

Eheim quick vac pro <- excellence idea .. will pick one up for my plant tank. was thinking of rigging up a 3rd external canister for this purpose only.

SaucyKP
09-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Lighting: 2 X Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 Quad Lamps <- talk to reef people for light bulbs that bring out the best color of your fishes. And maybe just 1-6500K for the plant.

Eheim quick vac pro <- excellence idea .. will pick one up for my plant tank. was thinking of rigging up a 3rd external canister for this purpose only.

There are currently two 10000k lights and 2 actinic lights that come with it. I have some others that I am going to play with the combination a bit to see what I like.
Love love love the quick vac pro.

SaucyKP
09-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Two more posts to post pics!

SaucyKP
09-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Yay!

SaucyKP
09-19-2012, 12:40 PM
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/222_zpsed93a57c.jpghttp://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/227_zps8761b09f.jpghttp://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/238_zps0ff20355.jpghttp://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/239_zpsc98b0192.jpghttp://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/240_zps8dce91ec.jpghttp://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/246_zps8a811c55.jpg

Apologies to all professional picture takers on here, I only have my phone camera.
Hoping to get these guys into tank by the end of the month.:D
Thanks for looking and please please let me know your opinions if I could be doing something better.

Kal-El
09-19-2012, 12:53 PM
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/222_zpsed93a57c.jpghttp://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/227_zps8761b09f.jpghttp://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/238_zps0ff20355.jpghttp://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/239_zpsc98b0192.jpghttp://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/240_zps8dce91ec.jpghttp://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/246_zps8a811c55.jpg

Apologies to all professional picture takers on here, I only have my phone camera.
Hoping to get these guys into tank by the end of the month.:D
Thanks for looking and please please let me know your opinions if I could be doing something better.

You have a nice collection. Looks like you are on a good start. Keep us posted when you move them to your display tank.

decoy50
09-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Very impressed with your tank setup, stock choices and water changes(80% on a 240?? yikes!). Keep up the good work and post some more pics when you have them all settled in the display. I'll be following your thread.

aquaworks1
09-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Thats a really pretty Aquarium,I like the Tank, Stand,and Canopy.The Discus look nice,looks like a really nice setup.

bogia99
09-19-2012, 04:47 PM
impressive ! I hope your fish room is right behind that wall ?

Big-Ken
09-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Looks great but you will run into some peppering on your pigeons with the black background

SaucyKP
09-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks guys, I can't wait to see them myself in the display tank. It takes around an hour to change the water, but it's just one of those things you just do without thinking about it. As far as peppering, yes I was concerned about it so I tried to stay away from the pigeon bloods, however my wife was very persuasive in saying she liked them. I have seen some tanks with pigeons and dark backgrounds without peppering, so I'm hoping by keeping them stress free, light substrate, plenty of light in the aquarium (guessing on my part) they will pepper lightly if any at all.

shoveltrash
09-20-2012, 09:22 AM
welcome to SD - that is an absolutely lovely tank!!!! can't wait to see your Discus in it :D

Poco
09-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Welcome to SD!

Very nice setup. you have done a really good job. Looks like you did your research before taking the plunge.

SaucyKP
09-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Very impressed with your tank setup, stock choices and water changes(80% on a 240?? yikes!). Keep up the good work and post some more pics when you have them all settled in the display. I'll be following your thread.
Thank you, if you think about it, I probably change less volume of water every other day than a lot of people on here do daily (Yikes to them!)

welcome to SD - that is an absolutely lovely tank!!!! can't wait to see your Discus in it :D
Thanks for the welcome, hopefully by months end, not the full 6 wk QT, but if all is good, I'm ready to roll!

Welcome to SD!

Very nice setup. you have done a really good job. Looks like you did your research before taking the plunge.
Aprreciate it (even from a Blue) Research was easy the moment I found SD!

Poco
09-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Aprreciate it (even from a Blue)

I guess you are into reds then :D

SaucyKP
09-22-2012, 11:30 AM
I guess you are into reds then :D
:)

dghby
09-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Very nice setup, can't wait to see them in their new home.

Eddie
09-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Nice tank! Looks like a nice group of fish too!

willzy
09-29-2012, 04:15 AM
awesome tank! any updates?

DiscusBR
09-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Looking great! Beautiful setup. Welcome do SD and keep the pics coming.

SaucyKP
10-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Very nice setup, can't wait to see them in their new home.
Thank you very much, I have them in there and will post some pictures shortly.

Nice tank! Looks like a nice group of fish too!
I appreciate the kind words. Fish are from Kenny, what do you expect? :o

awesome tank! any updates?
QT has been around 4 weeks and must be cut short to make room for Kenny's October shipment. Hehe. Fish eat well and are very happy when Pops comes around.

Looking great! Beautiful setup. Welcome do SD and keep the pics coming.
Thank you for the welcome!

Khoi

SaucyKP
10-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I have need of some advice, my wife has fallen in love with discus and forced me to take care of more!! :p The problem is, I do not want to overstock the display tank. I have other tanks that I will use for my viewing pleasure. My stock list is in one of my first posts. I have decided to take out the pigeons to try to reduce the peppering. Other than that, I would love some ideas as to what discus I should now get to appeal to the expert eyes. What should I take out, what should I add, I know its my tank in the end, but the ideas of ya'll would be very appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the discus now in the tank. Apologies again for the quality.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/096.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/095.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/087.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/089.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/090.jpg

Kal-El
10-03-2012, 05:36 PM
This is such a nice setup. Wish I had a tank that big...

SaucyKP
10-04-2012, 07:41 PM
This is such a nice setup. Wish I had a tank that big...
Aw shucks, thanks. I am back to my college diet of ramen twice a day to pay off the credit cards. :( I figure five more years and I can have meat again.

baeya
10-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Beautiful tank! The fish are outstanding! Congratulations!

SaucyKP
10-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Beautiful tank! The fish are outstanding! Congratulations!
I appreciate the kind words. Beautiful kids in your picture, I have four of my own that are great helpers during water changes.:D

geezzeus
10-08-2012, 10:23 PM
I'll be copying this tank for sure! I just got my 125 and this is the exact look that I'm after. nice work, I think this will look great in my living room.

Orange Crush
10-09-2012, 02:19 AM
What should I take out, what should I add, I know its my tank in the end, but the ideas of ya'll would be very appreciated.
LOVE your set up.
I think some blue discus would go nicely with the ones you have. :)

SaucyKP
10-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I'll be copying this tank for sure! I just got my 125 and this is the exact look that I'm after. nice work, I think this will look great in my living room.
Looking forward to seeing your tank on here when it's done! I'll be happier when my plants grow in a bit more, but I'm very pleased with the overall look.

LOVE your set up.
I think some blue discus would go nicely with the ones you have. :)
Agreed! Kenny's Blue Diamonds coming Friday. Thanks for the suggestion.

geezzeus
10-09-2012, 02:51 PM
when you do your water changes, do you take the fish out of the tank?

80% of 240 gallons is 192 gallons every other day! That's an insane amount of water isn't it? Do you age your tap or is it straight from the tap or do you have RODI or is this manual?

sorry for this questions, I'm still in the planning and getting scared stages

SaucyKP
10-09-2012, 04:46 PM
when you do your water changes, do you take the fish out of the tank?

80% of 240 gallons is 192 gallons every other day! That's an insane amount of water isn't it? Do you age your tap or is it straight from the tap or do you have RODI or is this manual?

sorry for this questions, I'm still in the planning and getting scared stages
No problem, I'll tell you what I do. Keep in mind that all my routine is based off of all the info I got from this forum. Lots of good knowledge here from much more experienced people than myself.
With previous aquariums, I change the water every other week if not three weeks. However the consensus here states that discus thrive with the best of water conditions, so with extra filtration (two canisters and a sponge) I am hoping to get by with every other day. 80% is a lot but so are the price of discus, and if I have to do that much to ensure health, it's a non-issue. I keep all fish in the tank and pump the water out of my tank with a Wayne 1/2 HP into my basement sump. I go straight from tap to 55 gallon water barrels where I treat with prime, then that gets pumped straight back into my tank with a mag drive pump. No RO, no aging. It takes about an hour altogether and I'm sure my fish appreciate it. HTH

bogia99
10-09-2012, 05:13 PM
do you get any tiny bubbles with the mag drive pump ?

SaucyKP
10-09-2012, 05:29 PM
do you get any tiny bubbles with the mag drive pump ?
I submerge the pump in the water barrels when refilling tank, don't know if that makes a difference vs inline. I do not notice any bubbles in output as water comes into tank. HTH

davidw
10-12-2012, 05:31 AM
nice big tank set up and beautiful discuses! great place to relax n wind down after a hard day's work..... (thumbs up)

Gethenet
10-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Really Nice tank! Im in the process of tearing down a 140 gallon show tank. Its planted with Angles at the moment, but im getting rid of angles to get Discus. I will be getting some juvies to grow out . still working on getting a smaller tank to do this in. Meanwhile I will be redoing the 140....I love your substrate....is that sand, or very small gravel?
I also painted the back of my tank Black....am considering getting a 3d background, but am having issues finding one to fit ( 48 in x 28 in) may be forced to get two and cut it .

SaucyKP
10-12-2012, 09:27 PM
nice big tank set up and beautiful discuses! great place to relax n wind down after a hard day's work..... (thumbs up)
To be honest, I fall asleep easier in front of the tank than in my own bed. These guys are so chill, I love it!

Really Nice tank! Im in the process of tearing down a 140 gallon show tank. Its planted with Angles at the moment, but im getting rid of angles to get Discus. I will be getting some juvies to grow out . still working on getting a smaller tank to do this in. Meanwhile I will be redoing the 140....I love your substrate....is that sand, or very small gravel?
I also painted the back of my tank Black....am considering getting a 3d background, but am having issues finding one to fit ( 48 in x 28 in) may be forced to get two and cut it .
Thank you! I use pool filter sand from Ace Hardware as my substrate. I wish I had the patience and dedication to grow out juvies, but I'll leave that to the experts. Looking forward to seeing your tank when it's ready. I have a 3d background for my cichlids and I really really like the look. Good luck finding your size.

1oscar
10-12-2012, 09:37 PM
superb tank and collection of discus

senior el roboto
10-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Looks great but you will run into some peppering on your pigeons with the black background
So the peppering with the black background. Will this only occur when they are small and growing or will the adults still pepper?

SaucyKP
10-16-2012, 01:55 PM
superb tank and collection of discus
Aw shucks, thank you.

So the peppering with the black background. Will this only occur when they are small and growing or will the adults still pepper?
Not an expert by any means, however, they are peppering at 5" ( don't know if that is considered adult ) I have since moved them to a different tank with white painted sides and bottom and have noticed a huge reduction in the peppering within a couple days.

senior el roboto
10-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Aw shucks, thank you.

Not an expert by any means, however, they are peppering at 5" ( don't know if that is considered adult ) I have since moved them to a different tank with white painted sides and bottom and have noticed a huge reduction in the peppering within a couple days.

I thought about painting my 20 gallon quar tank white for this reason and poss breeding.

discus6628
10-17-2012, 04:19 PM
very nice setup. I am also looking at similar setup like your (sand, driftwood) for my 100-125 gallons tank. Try to make the water change easy with my busy schedule. Can you take some picture of how your water change setup? I am think of drill hole 1/3 of the tank. Then think of use Eheim quik-va pro (does it work good? going to pick one up soon) to clean up first then turn on switch from the drill hole to drain the water out. Then run the tap warm water back into the tank. I will be running the pluming inside the wall of my living room right next to the tank just like laundry where it has drain, hot & cold water. What is your suggestion of my setup?

SaucyKP
10-20-2012, 07:49 AM
very nice setup. I am also looking at similar setup like your (sand, driftwood) for my 100-125 gallons tank. Try to make the water change easy with my busy schedule. Can you take some picture of how your water change setup? I am think of drill hole 1/3 of the tank. Then think of use Eheim quik-va pro (does it work good? going to pick one up soon) to clean up first then turn on switch from the drill hole to drain the water out. Then run the tap warm water back into the tank. I will be running the pluming inside the wall of my living room right next to the tank just like laundry where it has drain, hot & cold water. What is your suggestion of my setup?
Your system sounds alot nicer than mine. I don't have any holes drilled, I simply pump via garden hose attached to python to my sump pump. I had hot and cold water bibs installed in my basement where I run water into barrels to temp, prime, then pump via another hose back into my tank. I personally am not the one to give you suggestions on your setup, but I think if you look in Waterworks section of forum, I'm sure there is plenty of great advice there. Good luck!

George001
10-20-2012, 10:57 AM
this is also my first discus tank. I have a 50 gallon tank, with 3 small discus (2 - 2 1/2"), 3 clown loaches and some tetras. I have my discus for about a month, they are doing well. I have been learing alot from this forum from the experts before finally making the jump. My amonia, nitrites are 0, ph is 6.6. However the nitrates are high (40ppm), I have been doing 10 gallon water changes for twice a week with no result. Been using RO water from my fish store. Just tested the RO water, and noticed that the amonia level on the RO water was .50, and the nitrite was .25. In several hours these become 0, but the nitrate is 40ppm.
Can this be the cause.

Thankx.

George001
10-20-2012, 11:06 AM
I also wanted to thank all of the experts on the forum. I have used this forum as my starting place for my reasearch, and say that it has provided me with a wealth of information. I have gone to many different sites for information, but so far this has been the best for me. There is a wealth of information from different experts.
I am starting out with discus, just as a hobby, and their beuty. I am not interested in breeding, just enjoying. Want to just say tanks for tons of information.
By the way, I have a diamond blue, golden snakeskin, and red dragon.

George001
10-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Your discus are simply beatiful. Wow. It appears you are doing everything right. Your fishes look healthy. Much luck with your new discus tank!
Simply breathtaking

discus6628
11-08-2012, 03:05 AM
I am trying to be patience on my setup. hopefully the setup finish soon. I will try to take some picture to share after i finish my setup and look forward to improve. I am try to make WC easy with my busy schedule.

bonginator
11-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Very pretty display tank. Where did you buy it and who makes the stand. I am in the market for a nice cherry stand and canopy and really like yours..

farebox
11-08-2012, 08:48 PM
That is one great looking tank!!!! Welcome to SD, you did your homework just fine, excellent results. Sit back and enjoy, I love your setup, just wish one day I win the lotto and "copy" your setup.

SaucyKP
11-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Your discus are simply beatiful. Wow. It appears you are doing everything right. Your fishes look healthy. Much luck with your new discus tank!
Simply breathtaking
I fear it's becoming an addiction.:p thanks for the well wishes.

I am trying to be patience on my setup. hopefully the setup finish soon. I will try to take some picture to share after i finish my setup and look forward to improve. I am try to make WC easy with my busy schedule.
It took me around 5 months from the time I decided to go with discus before I finally got them in the tank. You will get the WC down to an efficient routine through repetition. I look forward to seeing your tank when done.

Very pretty display tank. Where did you buy it and who makes the stand. I am in the market for a nice cherry stand and canopy and really like yours..
I bought my tank, stand, and canopy through glasscages.com after that, my painters stained and finished it for me while they painted my basement.

That is one great looking tank!!!! Welcome to SD, you did your homework just fine, excellent results. Sit back and enjoy, I love your setup, just wish one day I win the lotto and "copy" your setup.
Thanks! Nothing better than sitting back and watching all their little personalities come out.

SaucyKP
11-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Update on the tank. I have finished QT with last months shipment from Kenny and have now moved the 3 Pigeons, 3 Eruption leopards, and the 2 red covers to another tank to reduce the peppering in the pigeons. I also added 2 albino red covers and have some Blue diamonds that are growing out in another tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSmaVF5nwhI

Dogvet06
11-14-2012, 04:22 PM
thats one beautuful tank!

Second Hand Pat
11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Love this tank. Well done.

bogia99
11-14-2012, 07:27 PM
very nice Khoi .. love your wood display.

SaucyKP
11-14-2012, 08:16 PM
thats one beautuful tank!
Thanks so much. I have been watching your posts. Isn't this forum great for us newbies?!

Love this tank. Well done.
I appreciate the compliment. When I'm ready to go wild, I'm gonna need for you to sell some of them fry to me.;)

very nice Khoi .. love your wood display.
Ah shucks, anyone who compliments my display of wood :p is okay in my book!!!

Dogvet06
11-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Yes its great but not for my pocket book!

pastry
11-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Khoi,... nice wood ;)

Seriousy though, love the tank. Do you have pics of your RC's since you have them in a different tank?

SaucyKP
11-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Yes its great but not for my pocket book!
I feel the same way about my wife and kids.:antlers:

Khoi,... nice wood ;)

Seriousy though, love the tank. Do you have pics of your RC's since you have them in a different tank?
I switched them over about a week ago so they haven't quite gotten used to the brighter lights of my fish room. They lightened up quite a bit and I hope with time they get used to this light and go back to the nice darker shade they had in my display.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/image-12.jpg

Here are some more pics if anyone is interested.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/image-22.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/image-19.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/image-14.jpg
The peppering on this guy has gone down drastically since getting into his new home.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/image-13.jpg
Growouts
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/image-11.jpg
Not gonna say I have favorites but........
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/saucykp/image-24.jpg

Dogvet06
11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
beautiful!

pastry
11-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Khoi, right off the back with the RC's coloring I'd say the difference between now and when they were in your show tank is the lighting (overhead lighting & the colors of the tank walls). Regardless of tank, it's still a young fish and well progressively get even better. Maybe if you have a pink bulb around then mix it with white light. Make sure you don't have any blue bulbs for reds (only saying from my limited experience in case you're curious!) ALL LOOK GREAT!

SaucyKP
11-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks Elliot,

When the picture was taken I had direct light on the tanks, I have since switched to some overhead shop lights that basically just light up the room as opposed to concentrating in on the tanks. They do seem to like it better. I've never tried a pink bulb before but it does seem to make sense. Thanks for the tip.

Jdizon20
11-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Beautiful fish, tank, setup, room, everything really. I need a new house :)

SaucyKP
11-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Beautiful fish, tank, setup, room, everything really. I need a new house :)
This is the man-cave. It's almost the way I want it now and unless I win the $425 million powerball, I am never moving again!;) Thank you for the kind words.