PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong?!?!

lazurux
09-19-2012, 01:56 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Not eating. Started seeing Clamped fin on Monday, so I upped the temp to 87 and increased WC. Don't know how it started; they have been in that tank for 9 weeks.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Each one has one Clamped fin. All of them have what looks like ich and fin rot(White tips on fins and pect fin is rotting). One is laying on its side, just breathing. One has what looks like burn marks. They don't come to me when I go close to the tank, hide more often and darts away.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Increased Wc to 2x 90% daily, aquarium salt 1 tsp per 5 gallon and increased temp from 84 to 87

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

20 Gallon QT tank, 4 fish 3.5"-4.5"

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

1x 90% Daily with aged water. Bare Bottom. Wipe down tank and vacuum everyday. 12 weeks running QT tank.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __84___

- ph __7.0___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0__

- well water __NO__

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

None

Eddie
09-19-2012, 02:06 PM
No need to increase temp, bring it down to 82F. You didn't mention whether or not you age your water for water changes? Where did these fish come from?

DiscusDrew
09-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Hmmm kind of interesting but they seem to have brought in something that they now have to work through. Your only talking a few days with problems thus far correct? For now I would stay with good large daily water changes, but personally I would prefer the temp stay down as I suspect bacterial problems, be it primary or a secondary infection. Can I see pictures of the fish? It would help me tremendously. I have a course of treatment in mind that will cover many bacterial and protozoan bases, but I will wait until I see pictures and a few more days of good water changes. I'd also like to know where the fish came from.

DiscusDrew
09-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Lol I just read Eddies response, looks like same page. He did say he ages his water.

lazurux
09-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Fish came from Kenny/Forrest. I never had a problem with his discus before. I'll lower temp and yes this all happened in 2-3 days. I will try to get a few pictures if I can find a camera. Thanks.

Teshi
09-19-2012, 05:06 PM
You should call Kenny too. I purchased fish from him in April and had a hiccup with them. He helped me deal with it and fish are all healthy and happy.

DiscusDrew
09-19-2012, 05:13 PM
These things happen, even in the most perfect conditions and from the best importers. Like I said, I'd give them a few days keeping up the water changes you are doing. See how they do, and if things continue to deteriorate I'll give some recommendations on medications to use.

BobDaniel
09-19-2012, 05:32 PM
It doesn't say what you are using for filters, but it might not hurt to check for built up food and gunk in them. A really dirty filter can negatively affect water quality. If you are using a hydrosponge, check it. I have one with open foam and it is a gunk magnet and needs to be shaken a bit every water change.

lazurux
09-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks everyone, I will post if any thing changes and will try to get those pictures.

lazurux
09-19-2012, 06:19 PM
The slime coat on the one laying on its side is starting to come off and one of the other discus keeps pecking at the one laying down.

1 sponge filter-pre filter
1 aqua clear hob
Rince sponge and pre filter everyday

DiscusDrew
09-19-2012, 07:31 PM
That's acceptable for your filtration. Its pretty much exactly what I do, at least on any tanks that have hob filters. Now, I really would like a series of pictures but honestly in my tanks I'd probably be medicating if all the above information is true. If you choose to medicate, personally I would do Furan2 and also methylene blue at the same time. It will wipe out your filter so realize that. Now, it is up to you if you choose to medicate, but this treatment will cover any bacterial issues and also some protozoa. Use at recommended dosage, I've doubled theFuran dosage before but usually do not when used in combination with methylene blue. Acriflavin is the other medication I would consider but I like my first recommendation more personally. Thus is a safe and effective starting point.

lazurux
09-19-2012, 10:24 PM
The one laying on its side just died, I think I'm going to start medicating with "E.M. Erythromycin" since my LFS or petsmart/petco doesn't have any of the ones listed. If there are any other medications possible please let me know. Thanks for the help everyone.

One of them has started eating again.

Eddie
09-20-2012, 12:43 PM
You should call Kenny too. I purchased fish from him in April and had a hiccup with them. He helped me deal with it and fish are all healthy and happy.

+1

lazurux
09-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Well they're pretty much all going to die. Had to wait till after work to get to petsmart to get medication and when I came home another 1 was on its side and and white things and "burn marks" started covering the entire body. I'll do a WC and add medication and hope for the best.

Kenny has helped me a lot already, but I will let him know.

Thanks everyone.

Eddie
09-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Well they're pretty much all going to die. Had to wait till after work to get to petsmart to get medication and when I came home another 1 was on its side and and white things and "burn marks" started covering the entire body. I'll do a WC and add medication and hope for the best.

Kenny has helped me a lot already, but I will let him know.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry to hear. Hope you can pull some through with Kenny's help.

Kal-El
09-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully you are able to save some of your fish. I'm really shock that even with your routine of daily WC and cleaning that your fish still gets sick. This makes me worry that something like this may happen to me at any time...