PDA

View Full Version : How often do you rinse your Aquaclear sponge?

Sasha
09-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Assuming the use of a pre-filter that's rinsed with every water change (daily or at least every other day), how often do you thoroughly clean your Aquaclear sponge in the HOB filter? By "thoroughly clean," I mean rinse and squeeze several times until very little if any "mulm" can be seen in the rinse water.

My concern is two-fold:
1. rinsing too aggressively (even in tank or non-chlorinated water) may remove a substantial supply of the good bacteria
2. within the "mulm" may live several other beneficial organisms, such as rotifers and the like, so by rinsing them all away, you are putting additional strain on your bio system.

I am also assuming that in addition to the filter foam sponge in the HOB, we have other media (ceramic media, bio balls, etc) that's only gently rinsed about once a month.

Thanks!

Orange Crush
09-20-2012, 05:20 PM
I have found that in my discus tanks because I do a large water change everyday and I have prefilters on my Aquaclear filters that it takes months for any mulm to appear. But in my non discus tanks that get less frequent water changes I have to do it much more frequently. In the AQ the only media I have in them is the foam inserts, 3 to be exact, and I rotate them weekly when cleaning. I take the bottom one clean it well and put it on top, that way I do not lose all of the good stuff from the mulm.

Wes
09-20-2012, 05:58 PM
I use 2 sponges inside my aquclears and a prefilter sponge on the intake. I rotate which one I clean inside the filter about every week and clean prefiler with every water change.

discuspaul
09-20-2012, 08:11 PM
I also use pre-filter sponges on the AC intakes, rinsed at least every second day, and I find there's no need to really rinse/clean up the large filter sponges inside the AC 110's more than about every 3 months or so. In fact, there seems to be more loose mulm in the filter compartments themselves, than in the sponges. I do more siphoning of that loose mulm than the actual rinsing of the sponges.

tonytheboss1
09-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Same here. I clean the pre-filters on my 110's (AC500's) every few days & alternate cleaning the filters sponges, media ect. every 2 months. Mind you now, I have a lot more filtration ( 2 lge canisters also) so it does make a difference how often I need to clean. Adjust accordingly. "T"

Chicago Discus
09-20-2012, 11:02 PM
I clean the pre-filters everyday with chlorinated tap water and the sponges in the filter every week with dechlorinated water and the bio never....Josie

Sasha
09-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Thanks to all. I will add another sponge to my Aquaclear and do the rotation. That's a great idea.

shrimper
09-21-2012, 10:24 AM
If you clean your prefilter, cleaner and cleaner gradually over a few weeks, what you will find is that the replacement good bacteria will migrate to inside the filter or other areas of your tank.

that's how I think it will work, could be wrong :)

ganesan
09-25-2012, 01:49 PM
twice or thrice a week with tank water squeezing them till water is clear